Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2009, 12:37 PM   #1

RS 2000 new inverter/ solenoid

We finally got Xantrex to replace our inverter 2 weeks ago, with a new RS2000. It seems to have worked great under shore power for the first week. We moved to dry camping a few days ago to test the inverter. The new (2 month old) alternator got the systems charged up for us as we drove to our campsite. After 27 hours on the inverter, the top off did not auto start the gen. The chassis batts were low, so I jump started the gen and ran 2 hours. Starting at 12.0v on the house, the inverter charge cycle was already in float shortly after the gen start. Two hours after the gen was shut off in evening, I checked the batts, and house was at 12.4 and chassis at 10.3. I turned off the chassis disconnect switch.

I jumped the gen again in the morning. After 10 min or so, the solenoid clicked, the gen surged briefly and then quit. Chassis now down to 9.2v. Inverter was already in float at 13.8v. Tested the solenoid, it is shot. Is this causing the inverter to not go thru bulk and absorp?

Next (this) morning, again jump start Gen, and ran it 2.5 hours. This time the inverter stayed on bulk for 1 1/4 hr and then to absorp, and stayed there until I shut the gen off. Absorp at 13.5v at the batt at shutdown (both banks at 13.5v). During gen charge, I also had a 110v battery charger connected to the chassis batteries, at a 6 amp charge, to work around the bad solenoid. Inverter charger did not go into float.

Is my new inverter behaving badly or is the solenoid the cause of this problem?

Ed
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2009, 06:09 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Ed,

I would vote for the inverter behaving badly. When the voltage is low enough, long enough, (like the first time) the RS2000 should start charging in the bulk mode. As to the second time charging, the RS2000 should be putting out 14.5 volts during absorp. The only problem the bad solenoid should cause is failing to charge the chassis batteries. I didn't quite get what you meant by "the top off did not auto start the gen."
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 09:38 PM   #3

Thank you Dale

The top off voltage I have set is at 12.5v. The gen should start in the evening a set time before quiet time, I have it set at 60 minutes before quiet time. This will charge up the batteries before quiet time to allow for late evening power useage, TV, Fridge, lights etc. You do want them drained below the normal gen start setting at 11.8v over night. This is like keeping your fuel tank topped off, when driving across the desert at night, you do not know when you will find your next fuel station open.

I will call our inverter installer on Monday and have him take another look at it before we leave AZ.
Ed
Old 03-24-2009, 09:02 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
E&D:

This may be a shot in the dark, but...

Did you verify the initial settings for Battery Type, Total Amp Hours, Generator Type, etc.?

Also, when the genset is running and it reads Bulk, how many amps is it using? Mine runs over 100 amps (112?). Mine was set up wrong at Cummins and I had all the same problems you report. When I re-programmed it, all was well (almost). My genset still cuts off 30 seconds after the morning autostart (still need to test my reprogramming on that).
Old 03-25-2009, 08:17 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
takepride,

Has the firmware in your inverter ever been upadated?
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:09 PM   #6

Edit my previous post. I do NOT want my batts below 11.8v, so the AGS is set for 11.8v.

Dale, I am trying to schedule a software upgrade appointment or check for my new inverter.

The only way to get the charger to start in bulk is to turn off the inverter or hit the reset. But even then, it only stays in bulk maybe 8 min. And absorption is well over 2 hours. Amps on both cycles are staying in the 120 to 129 range for over 120 min before a very slight decline to 106 to 115 over the next 30 min. Maybe I need to run the gen 4 hours to get to the float.

The solenoid is again behaving correctly after 3 days of not charging the chassis batts, they now hold their charge.

Takepride, I believe I have all the correct settings on the Silverleaf for the AGS and the inverter, other then the Silverleaf reports a different batt voltage when charging.

Ed
Old 03-25-2009, 09:56 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Dale:

Mine was just replaced a few months ago (now a RS3000, was RS2000). It was a recent manufacture date, fresh from China (I believe) but I cannot swear to the most updated firmware. I'd like to know what the most recent version number is. Maybe I can find out on their website or Tech Support.

Ed:

The various/conflicting battery voltage readings appear everywhere, depending on where the sensor or reading is located. My Xantrex panel has one reading, the batteries another, the DC outlets yet another. To exacerbate the problem, the batteries give false readings throughout until they've set a while after charging.

It's good to hear you are getting well over 100 amps of charge, less is a sign of a bad charger or programming. My Absorb charging time is also longer than the Bulk, but I have the AGS trigger set at 11.7 and the Bulk charging is short-lived. I'll be checking it out again in a couple weeks.

I'm not sure my charging is normal, considering the age of my AGM batteries (2004) and the abuse they may have suffered prior to my adoption (the chassis batteries were swelling and DOA). However, they have been serving me faithfully in my boondocking. In fact I just got back from Anza-Borrego where the flowers are blooming and the camping is free (so to speak). BTW 4-wheelers are in heaven there.