Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2012, 09:31 AM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
RS2000 converter problems

Control panel shows a different voltage than what the batteries test at.
Sometimes higher sometimes lower. If shore power is off the Xantrex system goes dead. I cleaned all battery terminals.
HELP
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2012, 12:09 PM   #2

Your inverter is wired directly to the bats via a 300 amp DC fuse. Need to test for 12 volts at the 12v inverter terminals but am guessing the fuse may have blown. PS--not a common fuse so may have to search for a source....PSS--if you do have volts at the inverter terminal, there is probably something wrong with the inverter itself....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:14 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
The voltage out put at the converter is what is reading on the xantrex display. Right now it reads 13 to 14 volts fluctuating. The battery is at 13.6 with the solar charger putting out 9 amps. But if I shut off shore power the converter shuts down. Then if I turn shore power on the converter starts but will show battery volts @ 3 to 5 amps and does not charge.
I check the 250a fuse by checking voltage across the fuse which shows zero meaning voltage is the same on both sides. Fuse should be good.
I am assuming the cable from the converter connect directly to that 250a fuse.
Stumped!
Old 09-07-2012, 06:36 PM   #4

Yup--the cable goes direct from the inverter to the fuse--doesnt even go thru the master switch. Assume you checked fuse continuity with the shorepower off--so no dc voltage was coming from the inverter. Cant really think of a weird menu setting that would cause what you are describing so if in fact there is continuity across the fuse, your inverter has probably gone tango uniform. Lots of info here on the forum but essentially the RS2000s arent serviceable so....Unless someone on the forum chimes in, think I'd get a second/professional opinion before scrapping the rs2000..
New Braunfels, Texas
Old 09-07-2012, 10:14 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
This is sorta' like a "is it plugged in" kinda reply; but: have you pushed the red reset button on the Xantrax? Mine occasionally goes crazy and that seems to help. Good Luck
zinom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:24 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
I have just about worn the red off the reset button.
I am wondering if there is a way bypass converter To use 120v with the xantrex sys. Turned off?
Old 09-08-2012, 09:17 AM   #7

Are you saying the 30 amp by-pass inverter circuits arent working when you are on shore power?????--this is a new symptom. If the 30 amp bypass circuit isnt working on shore power, your only option is to disconnect the two 120v wires at the inverter and connect then together--not a problem doing this as the 30amp feed from your shore power side of the grey distro box is breaker protected. However, you wont have any bat charging capability on shore power, only when the diesel is running.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old 09-08-2012, 11:45 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Old,
Thanks for connection information.
Last night The display was showing "AC Bypass" so I made sure the charger was disabled so that it would stop giving warning and fault alarms.
So what is the latest word on a good replacement for the RS2000?
Old 09-08-2012, 12:07 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Xantrex has 2 - new models intended to replace our old Freedom 458 and RS2000 models. The Frredom SW2000 & SW3000 are both fulll sine wave models as opposed to the Freedom 458 which they still sell. The SW2000 is 2000 watts which is the same power output as your RS2000. However, if you want to keep using the Remote Control Panel you'll need to get the SW3000 because the SW2000 doesn't support the required bus (phone cable connection). You'll to also consider that the SW3000 is actually expected to use larger size battery cables.

My 458 is still functioning fine and no appliance issues (knock on wood!). If (or when) it fails, I'll go to the SW3000 and change cables as necessary.

Some folks may chime in here about using Magnum brand Inverter/Chargers. I don't have experience with them but most owners like them

Good luck!
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:47 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
After a lot of stewing about a failed RS2000 Converter/ Charger, I finally pulled the cover off the inverter fuse and found the nut at the top of short cable at the bottom and lower nut on the fuse were barely finger tight. Problem solved.
Thanks to another Alpine driver, Jeff, who spent an afternoon helping me wire brushing cable connections, but didn't solve the problem.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:00 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
FWIW - The better replacement for the RS2000 is a Magnum 2800 Watt Inverter, they are field servicable, the quality is better than the Xantrex. Several owners have switch out their XRS2000 for the Magnum, so if any owners who did can chime in it would be appreciated.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:17 AM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Monty,
Thanks but I get to save that wad of cash since I found the loose connections.