Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-29-2011, 02:22 PM   #1

Rubber Mud Flap vs Hula Skirt

On a recent lengthy trip my rubber mud flap with the stainless Alpine logo simply "disappeared"! Did not back up one time from the moment we left home until I discovered it missing (aprox. 500 mi.). No damage to my tow car and no sounds when it let go, so it is a mystery.

I'm now going to replace it, but I am debating on a replacement identical to the original, or one of the "grass skirt" types. I don't like the look of the grass skirt, but several people have indicated they are more effective than the more solid hard rubber types. Thoughts?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2011, 02:38 PM   #2

Define "more effective".....mixed feeling about the rubber flaps--they look great but over time the rubber deteriorates around the bolts/fasteners [especially the area directly behind the exhaust muffler]. Two observations--1) tend to think that having a mud flap that low to the ground actually induces small gravel and sand to get whipped up in the resulting vortex so there is even more need for some sort of toad shield; and 2) anything like the shape and size of a "road gator" will: A--rip the flap mostly/completely off or B--perhaps roll up the gator so it does even more damage to yr toad. Fact is--you already have "mud flaps" behind all four wheels so not sure the big "mud' flap does much -- except look good [IMO] and kick-up gravel and perhaps a gator or two. As always, opinions vary.....

As for "grass skirts"----Never on an Alpine!!!!!

Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 03:02 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There must have been a method to his madness from the original owner but we have both on our coach. Can't say there is any problem with it and as far as the toad goes I haven't seen any effects of road debry yet. Sure it gets dirty when it rains but as far as any rock dents? NONE! Guess with that I'll just leave it alone.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 03:47 PM   #4

Rubber Mud Flap vs Hula Skirt

By "more effective" what I mean is that rocks, gravel get thrown into the "grass" and then fall harmlessly to the ground, whereas with a hard rubber flap the debris gets thrown up towards the engine.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:23 PM   #5

Tend to think the use of a single large mud flap across back of coach is more about what gets passed such a flap to strike the toad. Not sure a rubber or grass flap has that much impact on what gets up on the engine??????
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:36 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a "Hula flap" on my motorhome and when I travelled with a friend that has a large rubber flap , I had no road trash on my toai and he had plenty. I think the hula stops the rocks and they fall harmlessly to the road and the flap makes them bounce up.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:45 PM   #7

The skirts can absorb more energy from small rocks as it will move where as the rubber has more weight that has to move as a whole, there fore something that hits it will be more likely to bounce. Longevity, I do not know.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:33 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Rubber Mud Flaps vs Hula Skirt

I had a hula skirt on my 2002 Southwind and was always getting road debris through it. When I purchased my 2005 36 MDDS I went to Camping World and purchased a mud flap. I cut it to size, drilled out the bolt holes leaving plenty of "meat" around the holes (I noticed on some Alpine Coaches that they were drilled right on the edge) and used over sized washers to attach it to the coach. It is as solid today as when installed. To be on the safe side, when we went to Alaska, we added a Roadmaster Guardian Shield to the tow. We have not had any damage to either the RV or the tow since.

Capt Bravo
2005 36 MDDS
2004 Suzuki Grand Vitara
Old 09-30-2011, 12:26 AM   #9

We all may have different ideas. What I did was take off and throw away those worthless mud flaps front and rear that came on the RV. They were too short and far from the ground. Look how close over the road truck trailer flaps are to the ground.Trucks stiil get spray off the tops and sides of the tires. I put truck Rain Trapper mud flaps on all 4 wheels. Truck Supply places have them and they have knobby tread like a floor mat and are made out of plastic. Cost is about $9.00 per flap. I cut them to fit about 1" off the ground. They also keep the engine cleaner. I have no problem backing up. When leveling and the air bags are completely dumped, I kick the flaps toward the tire if needed, so they don't get under the jack. Whatever gets by the bottom, WRV mud flap does a pretty good job.
2007 Apex MDTS (425 hp) #75723
2007 Toyota 4-Runner
2014 Ram Laramie 3500
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 03:23 PM   #10

Rick,

I added a hula skirt to the bumper of our previous Class C and it was almost ineffective -- kept letting all kinds of debris through it, and I had to have a Guardian shield on the front of the toad. It was basically doing it's best to put rock chips and mud on the rig. Have you noticed how the air pushes those hula skirts up away from the road as you get to speed?

When we got the Alpine, I was impressed at the distance between the mud flaps behind the wheels (but a little longer would be better as Capt Bravo says) and the big mud flap on the back. I started using the Guardian shield with my new toad until I asked on this forum how many people use it, and learned that most don't and didn't feel they needed it. So I took it off and have now gone 12,000 miles with this toad and have yet to see any front end damage from towing it. I think WRV's mud flap across the rear does a great job.

If you want to replace it, there are posts on this forum you can search to find who made the original; not sure if it was Magic Metals in Yakima or not, but that would be my bet.

OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote