Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-03-2014, 05:44 PM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
SteveS, Thank you so much for taking the time to run the tests and report back with what you were able to find out. This helps to give me a starting point in diagnosing my buddies air conditioning problems.

As it turns out, I think he has the same year and model Alpine as yours. He has been plugging his power cord, using adapters, into a 15 or 20 Amp standard house plug outlet in his garage and running either the front or rear air conditioner for several years now with no problems. Now for some reason he can only run the rear air and when switching to the front air he gets nothing. Now, when he starts the generator, he can run either the front or rear or both.

I'm leaning towards a problem with the transfer switch and from what I've read on this forum can and will eventually go bad. I have never had to get into diagnosing transfer switch problems, so I'm kind of at a stand still.

I hate throwing parts at a problem, but it appears that this must be the bad link.

Thanks Again,
Sammie ( Steve ) Also

Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2014, 06:22 PM   #16

The purpose of mulitple dogbone adapters is to eventually get 15/20/30 amps from a single pole spread across the two legs that powers the coach when the power cord is plugged to 50 amp or the genset is running [front and back A/Cs are on seperate legs in the coach]. It could be that the dogbone he is using is defective and is only providing shore power to one leg of 2-pole 50 amp cord. Wild guess--but I would first confirm you are getting shore power to both legs via the dogbone[s] ...beats tearing the transfer switch apart.

Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 06:46 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
The purpose of mulitple dogbone adapters is to eventually get 15/20/30 amps from a single pole spread across the two legs that powers the coach when the power cord is plugged to 50 amp or the genset is running [front and back A/Cs are on seperate legs in the coach]. It could be that the dogbone he is using is defective and is only providing shore power to one leg of 2-pole 50 amp cord. Wild guess--but I would first confirm you are getting shore power to both legs via the dogbone[s] ...beats tearing the transfer switch apart.
Old Scout, Now you've shed some light on an aspect of my buddies problem that I have not even considered. I can't wait to call him and possibly be able to solve this mystery.

Thanks So Much,
Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 07:49 PM   #18

No problem--since everyting seems to work on 50 amp shore power or the genset; it points you to the dogbones as a possibility. Hopefully its that simple--many of my issues are....
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 05:14 PM   #19

Sammie - Yes, I agree with Oldscout. Had I known the complete story initially, a bad adapter would have been my first guess...I have seen it before. Anyway, good information from the tests are now available and can hopefully help with future questions/problems.

Tags
power, roof