Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-04-2014, 09:08 PM   #15

Alpine Owners Club
If I turn off the inverter when on shore power I lose most of my AC outlets.

I do turn off the charger when the engine and genset are running...as in going down the road with the coach AC's on. That prevents an error code that I believe was an over charge.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2014, 10:32 AM   #16

Tom, it sounds like your inverter is not working properly.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:39 PM   #17

Alpine Owners Club
Jim,
It has been that way from the beginning of our ownership in '04.
When the inverter fried, we had to bypass it to get power throughout the coach. There are a few outlets that the inverter doesn't power, but all my shore power seems to run through the inverter. To the point of tripping one of the inverters breakers if I pull too many amps while on 30 shore power......Microwave, small heater, h2o heater.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:21 PM   #18

Tom, does your coach have a circuit breaker panel and a separate sub-panel? On my '04 does. There is a sub-panel has the breakers for the outlets that are powered by the inverter. A 30 amp breaker on the main panel sends power to the inverter. The inverter send either the inverter power or passes through the shore power from the 30 amp breaker to the sub-panel. Other circuits that are not designed to be powered by the inverter, like the A/C's, etc., don't go through that sub-panel.

This is pretty standard, based on what I read in the installation manual for the Magnum inverter. Same with the manual for the old Xantrex inverter.

If the inverter fails, I would assume in addition to not generating the 120 volt power from the batteries, it probably won't pass the shore power either. Easy to bypass temporarily.

I'm surprised the H2O heater would go through the inverter.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:53 PM   #19

Alpine Owners Club
I've had no problems running the generator and roof A/C's while driving in our late model coach with original Xantrex 2000. Our dark exterior color scheme absorbs sunlight, and the dash A/C can't keep up on really hot driving days. With regard to inverter on or off, I leave the inverter off most of the time, and only use it when dry camping and watching TV. Of course, we don't have a residential refer...
Cinequip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 02:33 PM   #20

Alpine Owners Club
I have a residential refrigerator. I just leave the Inverter/Charger on all the time, no matter what I do. Haven't had a problem yet, (knock-on-wood). On the rare occasion that i have the generator running while traveling for roof AC or microwave use, also no problems experienced.
2005 Alpine 38FDTS, #75373
www.UrbanEscapeVehicle.com
Hobdendw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 02:48 PM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff and Cheryl View Post
On mine, Zantrax is very specific in stating that the inverter should be in the "OFF" position if on either shore power or generator. Since you will need the generator in order for the AC units to operate, turning off the inverter would be wise. Just my experience, your results may vary.
Where as on mine which like the O/Ps is a Xantrex (X not Z)

I leave it on all the time..

Depends on model. Some stand alone, epically MSW should be turned off so that shore/generator powers the load, which will like Shore/generator power better than it will MSW.

Others (mine is a True or Pure sine wave model) are designed to be left on all the time and act as a "UPS" charging the batteries when shore/gnerator power is present and powering the down-stream devices when shore/generator power fails. AUTOMATICALLY and so swiftly the TV does not blink.

But a Dish receiver will reset. (Fault of receiver)
Old 10-17-2014, 04:48 PM   #22

Alpine Owners Club
2005 Alpine Coach, 36FDDS
I also close the sliding door so I only run the front AC when on the road.
I drilled a 1/4" hole (at a slight downward angle) through the sliding door and into the cloths closet area (we don't have washer) and I put an old door hinge pin into the hole to hold the door closed with traveling. I close the rear air vent so all the AC air goes forward. Works great.

Tags
travel