Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:33 AM   #1
Alpine Owners Club
Rusty Fuel Filler Tubes on '03 36MDDS

I just tackled the unenviable task of replacing the fuel filler vent hoses on my '03. During the process, I removed the metal fuel filler tubing that runs from the front inlets to the tank. Much to my surprise, once I got them out (not an easy chore) I found that the top surfaces had considerable rust and in a couple of spots were nearly rusted all the way through. There was even rust under the factory paint in several spots. I wire brushed the rusty spots with a wire wheel on a drill and then treated them with POR rust inhibitor followed by several coats of Rustoleum paint before reinstalling them. I recently purchased this coach in Florida and I expect it has lived most of its life there or on the east coast where rust is a problem. However, this may be something other Alpine owners may want to take a look at because it could have major consequences if left untreated.

Roger D.

rdownward is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2011, 11:58 PM   #2
Alpine Owners Club
Pictures would be nice of exactly where, at the fuel filler neck or the tank end?

Monty & Janet - 2007 Alpine APEX 40 MDTS
S/N - 75715 - Retired - Master Certified RV Tech
Old Rv'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 10:00 AM   #3
Alpine Owners Club
Sorry to say I didn't take any photos Old Timer. Wish I had. Generally, the rusty areas were in the center section of the fuel filler tubing on the top surface where the vent hoses contacted the tube. It was pretty much the same on both the left and right filler tubes. Unfortunately, about the only way to really see this is to remove the filler tubes as there is very little clearance between the top of the tubes and the coach floor to really be able to see the areas of concern. There were also some old wasp nests up there and the beginnings of some sort of critter nest - maybe a mouse, rat or similar type rodent who had designs on making that their home (high and dry and safe!). I don't believe the rusty fuel filler tubes will be a problem for coaches who have grown up in areas that don't have high humidity and salty air. But, if anyone ever needs to replace their leaking vent hoses, it would be a good idea to inspect the tubes for rust as part of the operation. It certainly took me by surprise.
rdownward is offline   Reply With Quote