Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-29-2009, 03:28 PM   #29

MtManLee, We were just in Bouse last week, boy was it nice and warm compared to southern Utah. I had AARP Hartford and thought their rates were great until I checked with Progressive. They killed Hartford but after two years with no cliams ever, I just had a significant rate increase. Checked with American National Insurance and they beat Progressive by another $50. per year with increased limits. Just signed up with Am. Ntl. and found they also have very competitive rates on auto and Homeowners as well. Just another source to check out.

Red Boots Ranch
redboots is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2009, 05:49 PM   #30

Thank you all for your responses It has become very apparent from reading all these responses, that we should all review our insurance policies. I am sticking with Progressive and saving over $200 a year by going with my area broker/agent instead of Progressive's internet pricing.

Mike & Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:50 PM   #31

In my experience, the big deal has been the total package of coverage -- the coach, the toad, and the umbrella liability coverage for both and anything else that happens, like somebody slipping on the steps when entering your coach and suing you for a couple million$. I'm cautious about coach-only coverage, and look at the whole package. When I do that, I come out better through USAA via Progressive.

So my caution is to make sure you look at all three in your quote.
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 05:23 AM   #32

It's interesting that you can get a better price from your local Progressive agent. I would have assumed that the internet pricing would be better simply due to no agent commissions

Red Boots Ranch
Old 01-30-2009, 05:52 AM   #33

Redboots....I thought the same thing (internet cheaper). However, HarveyP posted he saved over $300 by going from the internet to his local Progressive agent. I called my local agent and saved $200.....same coverage. Got me
Old 01-30-2009, 06:11 AM   #34

Mike, That's interseting and sure contrary to what you would expect. It's also nice to have some personal contact with with someone (agent).

Red Boots Ranch
Old 02-01-2009, 11:29 AM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just renewed our policy and I did notice that our premium hasnt moved since we got the Moho. We are also with USAA and that who refered us to them. I will check next year to see if I can get a "better" deal with the same coverage. I really didnt bother to check since it is almost impossible to beat USAA, but Ihavent checked in a few years either.
mountainkowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:06 PM   #36

This post got my interest and I was wondering if I was getting the best deal with GMAC. I have been happy with GMAC and when I've checked in the past, they were competitive. We just got our bill from GMAC and I have begun to check other companies for rates. So Far Gieco has quoted almost $500.00 less per year for the same coverage. I will now check with progressive. Thanks for bringing this to my attention everyone.
40FT FDFS #75725
Rusty Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:09 PM   #37

Re USAA. I would be interested in how their quote compares. When I checked a couple of years ago they were not competitive with other quotes and since I have had all my auto and house insurance with them for over 40 years I was suprised. I went with GMAC which was significantly cheaper than USAA. I was extremely happy and had very big accident - left front tire blew and went into a guardrail for several hundred feet. It was a very expensive claim and GMAC paid it without question. I went with the FMAC insurance a couple of years ago for the Mexico coverage and have had no claims and they are rate wise competitive with GMAC.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:35 PM   #38

Alpine Owners Club
Rates are all over the place with no rhyme or reason. I had USAA for 30 years for car insurance. No at fault accidents. Rates kept climbing to more than $2000/year. Then I finally shopped around and got the same coverage from Progressive for about $800/year. After 2 years with Progressive, I got some new quotes and this time USAA was $100 cheaper so I returned. Now I kick myself by wondering how much I wasted all those years renewing with USAA. It's almost like they penalize loyalty so you have to switch companies just to get their attention and keep them competitive.

I still have Progressive for the RV's though because USAA still writes them like an auto, not a home, and is 2X as expensive as Progressive for less coverage.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:31 PM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
I had Progressive the last 3 years for my motorhome after the company I had before that stopped coverage in PA where I am licensed. My renewal, which is this month, rose significantly so I checked around with several companies. I switched to Allied through Farm and City in Iowa for $500 less than the Progressive policy for the same coverage.
Numbers 6:24-26
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 07:51 PM   #40

Alpine Owners Club
Dave and Jaime:

USAA writes its RV policies three ways:

1) Themselves

2) Through Progressive themselves

3) Through Progressive through their independent agency

I found #3 was by far the cheapest. Actually the USAA phone rep was the one who sent me over there to switch policies from #1 to #3. I saved a lot and I shopped around everywhere.

The coverage was also appropriate for an RV (instead of for cars).
Old 02-05-2009, 06:30 AM   #41

How do you contact Progressive's independent agency?
Old 02-05-2009, 07:05 AM   #42

Hi Rick......I googled Progressive agents for my area. The nearest one was in Corona, Ca. Agent is Alida Lanuza at 951-280-9999