Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:59 AM   #1
Just got my Renewal insurance bill from Progressive.... Increased over $100 plus per year. Need to shop around, any suggestions on what companies to contact. Thanks

Mike and Nancy
2015 Newmar Dutch Star 4018
2009 Hummer H3 Alpha
Mike & Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2009, 11:59 AM   #2

I have ours insured through AARP. Get multi-vehicle discount too.

John and Mary Knight
2015 Ventana 4311, 2015 Cadillac SRX
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:27 PM   #3
Be sure and check out gmac, we did thru good sam club, saved 5 hundred a year. Lots of luck
Christopher Cratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:27 PM   #4
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
my gmac policy through good sam stayed the same price this year, about $500 less than the next best quote i got when i bought the moho in oct 2006.
i haven't had a claim yet so i do not know how good their service is.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 04:58 AM   #5
I have not done a thorough research the last few years, but when I did about six years ago, AAA was the best value for me. I recently moved my home owners policy to them and that saved about 12% of my auto policy. Also have their premium towing, but have not had to use for my motor home.

I have aways found AAA service to be very good. An example would be an incident two summers ago at Lake Powell where I got hit by a micro burst with my awning down. Took the awning off the side, through over the motor home and damaged the body on the drivers' side! When all was repaired, the total bill was a little over $6000 and no problems with the insurance company; in fact it was a very positive response.

I have insured with them 5 cars, one boat, one motorcycle and one motor home......
2001 34' Alpine Coach
2008 Jeep Rubicon or 2012 Ford F150 4x4 Lariat towds
or a couple of different trailers
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:00 AM   #6
We have been with GMAC for year and just got the renewal notice. It seems too high to me. I have looked around and Geico who handles my other vehicles came in at only 60% of GMAC cost, but they are new to RVís and I would like to hear from people o how they handled a claim. I did get very good service with Geico on my wifeís car, but would really like to hear from a RV claim before I take the plunge. We have been with GMAC for years and I have soe loyalty, but have never had a claim other than a windshield chip. I am also worried about th viability of GMAC with what we heard aobut them on the news about the economy.
Lindsay Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:07 AM   #7
I just went with GMAC through Good Sam. I had AON Recreational for the car and coach and GMAC came in $1200/yr less than AON. The one thing GMAC doesn't seem to have is a diminishing deductible. I haven't had a claim but I am relying on the Good Sam reputation should something happen.
Jerry & Shirley Friedman; Dusty & Cricket
2014 Chevy Silverado 3500HD
2015 Mobile Suites 38RSSB3
gator67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:41 AM   #8
I am happy with our Progressive policies on cars and motorhome, but I just switched from Progressive Direct (internet) to a local Progressive agent and saved almost $300 combined. You might check that out also, goodluck,HarveyP
94 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE

HarveyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:26 AM   #9
We had AARP-Hartford. I started comparing and most others came in cheaper for Colorado. I was referred to an independent agent who had several options for us. Ultimately saved 50% from AARP. This agent quoted Progressive quite a bit less than their internet site, but he recommended a division of Liberty for us that was even less.
I would recommend a true independent agent who can shop multiple sources rather than an agent for one company.
'09 Pleasure Way Lexor, Chevrolet Express 3500 chassis, 6.0L V8
Last RV, 2005 NRV Dolphin 5342 (2007-2014)
two2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 01:00 PM   #10
Thanks HarveyP

Called Progressive agent for my area and saved $250.
Mike and Nancy
2015 Newmar Dutch Star 4018
2009 Hummer H3 Alpha
Mike & Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:17 PM   #11
Monaco Owners Club
Mine went up with Progressive too. Just about 120.00.

Not looking at changing yet. We will see what happens next year. I pay mine in one lump sum. To be fair, it went down last year so I figured I just about broke even.
Retired Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer - DW is the REAL Boss
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:29 PM   #12
If you are a former military member, you might want to look at USAA. We have had all our insurance on all our policies through them for 40 years. Our total bill, including annual dividends, is less than any body else we have checked. It takes a look at the total bill == homeowners, personal property, personal liability, auto, RV (including toad), etc. to make the total package work, but for us it always does. They sub their RV insurance to Progressive, but keep the toad insurance, so we are totally insured under their umbrella.

USAA recently changed their membership requirements to include both enlisted and officers, including reserve. When we joined we were both officers, because that's all they accepted, but they have changed, and former members are eligible, from what I understand.

So, that's another thought if you qualify--
Former Owner, 2006 36MDDS
2010 Arctic Fox 22GK Travel Trailer
2007 Toyota Tundra
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:41 AM   #13
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
We have Progressive with the tow package and decreasing yearly deductibles with no chargeable claims. What I find interesting is the deductible may go down every year but the premium always goes up.
04 Newmar DSDP 4015-Cummins ISL 370hp-Spartan MM Chassis-2013 Chev Equinox AWD Towed-Ready Brute Elite Towing System-FMCA 402879-SKP 120487
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:10 AM   #14
while we don't have an RV yet, we did switch our auto insurance to Ameriprise through COSTCO. We had GEICO for several years and always had great service with any type of claim. However when I heard about the COSTCO program I did a comparison and saved almost 50% by switching. The web site (via COSTCO web site) says they offer RV, boat,motorcycle insurance but you have to call for a quote.

ScottyP is offline   Reply With Quote