Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2011, 01:34 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
RV Lifestyle, Education & Safety Conference

I was thinking about attending the RV Lifestyle, Education, & Safety Conference in Bowling Green, KY May 6 - 8. I believe this conference is the 2nd such conference intended as pure training and NOT as a rally.

Has anyone attended last years conference? I'm concerned that the training will not be specific enough for my Alpine Coach and/or will not provided ample information to make the trip worthwhile (cost wise). I seem to be learning how to maintain my coach along the way allbeit sometimes "the hard way". My cost will be approximately $1,200 to attend (total expenses without the motorhome).

Any thoughts regardless of prior year conference attendance would be appreciated as well.
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2011, 05:32 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Bob,
I attended a Life on Wheels conference a few years ago. It was organized by Gaylord Maxwell. He had organized conferences for several years, holding them in Bowling Green and in Moscow, ID. The conferences covered technical issues like hot water tanks, friges, sat TV, solar power, and a host of other topics. Also there were lifestyle workshops covering pretty much everything you might want to know. None of the workshops were coach specific or chasis specific. Since Gaylord was a columnist with MH Magazine, and was influential with RV educator types, I suspect that the conference you are considering is designed along the same lines. The conference I attended, the instructors were very knowledgable about their subjects. It might be worth a try to get the agenda to see what will be covered.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:49 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I also received notice about this event, but cannot justify the expense from the west coast, to the east coast (almost). However, if you don't want to spend the money, purchase the book "Trailer Life's RV Repair & Maintenance Manual". Amazon would have such a book. Or you can look at this website (http://rvbookstore.com/) and check out some of the other great DVD's and such. I have seen the "How to drive your Motorhome Like Pro", and it's one of the best instructional DVD's I have seen even though I have had CDL training in the past and drove large rigs, the instructions and tips in that was worth the viewing.
The costs you refer to, about 1/5th the costs of becoming certified in RV repair and will show you how to maintain the RV systems, and maybe even some repair of them. It also helps to have been RV'ing for a while like many on this forum, and especially in this area (Alpines), we have the best tech support available bar none. Hope this helps.

FWIW-When Gaylord passed on, his wife or someone close to him held the classes discussed above for a few quarters, and then it stopped. I am going to assume, that FMCA, and other organizations, got together and helped get this started, at least I hope so. And I hope it comes out west, because I would attend, even though I have been RV'ing for 28 years, and I am RV Certified Tech. You cannot know too much about the complexities of RV’s in general and Motorhomes in specific.

At DDR-X, we had a presentation from Mac "the Fire Dude", and that was excellent, if you get a chance to take that course, do it.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:29 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks! I think I'm going to wait for a more "opportune" time as Renipladlo discussed. The $1,200 will go along ways towards getting some much needed fixes & minor upgrades done before hitting the road for the season.
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote