Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-03-2010, 02:07 PM   #1

RV parking at Elks Clubs

Planning my upcoming cross country trip and would like to stay at as many Elks Clubs as possible. I have the various directories, but a few years ago someone mentioned to me that there was a website where many members had posted comments on various clubs parking facilities. Anyone have a clue as to what that site might me??
Thanks,
David

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2010, 03:54 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Hi David,

Take a look at these two links:

The Benevolent & Protective Order of Elks of the USA
Elks Campgrounds | POI Factory

The "POI Factory" site is a website devoted to people creating customized files for GPS users. The user then downloads the POI file to their GPS and then has a listing of say "all the Elks Lodges", or ""all the rest areas on the interstates". The page I linked to is a page discussing the creation of a POI file for Elks lodges with notations of what facilities they have available for camping. You may have to poke around on the website to find the POI file to download to your GPS.

Cheers!

2004 Alpine 34 FDDS
Mike & Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 03:56 PM   #3

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshogman View Post
Planning my upcoming cross country trip and would like to stay at as many Elks Clubs as possible. I have the various directories, but a few years ago someone mentioned to me that there was a website where many members had posted comments on various clubs parking facilities. Anyone have a clue as to what that site might me??
Thanks,
David
Thanks for bringing this subject up. We use Elks facilities quite a bit and I have often wondered if anyone had posted on what were good lodge facilities. Not sure if negatives would be appropiate on this forum though.
The further east you go, fewer lodges have rv parking. Biggest concentration of facilities seems to be on the west coast.
Please post if you find that website.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:59 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I was over on HitchItch site and one of the blogs there stay only in Elk parks. Sorry, but remember whitch one but they were very happy with the many they have stayed at. The reviewed each site and really sounded like a good deal if you are a Elk member.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:09 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
When I joined a few years back they had 5 printed booklets covering various regions of the U.S. and Canada. The printed copies were nice and easier to reference than the I-net but not always current.

Harold
NorCal C&H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:31 PM   #6

I, too, am in the process of planning a cross-country trip except that I will be traveling from east to west. I just recently inquired about purchasing a travel guide for Elks clubs and received the following information

"CEL is now the exclusive publisher of Elk RV Travel Guides and may be
purchased by contacting CEL at Carmichael Elks Lodge B.P.O.E #2103,
P.O. Box 765, Carmichael, CA 95609, (916) 331-5863,
Elkstravelguides@comcast.net."

I have sent an email inquiring about this and have yet to get a reply so I cannot address the cost of these guides. Will post more when I receive more info.

Thanks

Jan
Newgma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:53 PM   #7

Thumbs up

The Benevolent & Protective Order of Elks of the USA

This link will get you to all the information you need. The book is nice but this will work also.
We have used a lot of lodges around the country in our 17 years of travels.
2 weeks ago on a return trip from Hemet Ca. we used the Santa Clarita, Fresno, Rancho Cordova and Chico lodges. All the lodges were nice and very friendly. Being able to stop in the lodge for a toddy and dinner is a big bonus for us.

Beagle
Old 04-15-2010, 10:24 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshogman View Post
Thanks,
David
call jerry sweeny in elks international 10$ a year and get a directory jerrys ph # 703 232 7328 covers every elks club in usa
harold mallet 702 592 2505
Old 04-15-2010, 10:50 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
We were going to do this as well, but the overnight costs of the elks was at least as much as Passport America membership. We have not been dis-satisfied with PA, now just for one night that is ok, you however have to be careful as some of the parks cannot take big rigs, but that is also true of RPI, and between the two, PA campgrounds have been better. Although the pricing is about the same. We left Vancouver, WA back in October and now we are heading home from Florida, and have used both. My only concern would be if the Elks clubs are "in town" how easy is it to get your MH down some of the streets we have seen the clubs near. I know the one in Camas, WA I would not want to drive my MH on that road.

A tip on GPS units, they generally will take you the most direct route, depending on how the units is programed. I also carry the "Truckers Atlas" to make sure of my route, because GPS have taken me on some roads my RV would not fit on, and under some bridge underpasses I could not take my RV under, nor would I have been able to turn around on. So GPS is a tool, just one in the box you will use on your travels, don't rely solely on them to get you to where you want to go. We once tried to find an antique store near Lake Whitney, TX, the GPS took us to the address ok, turned out to be a hospital, so beware.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:29 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by old rv'er View Post
we were going to do this as well, but the overnight costs of the elks was at least as much as passport america membership. We have not been dis-satisfied with pa, now just for one night that is ok, you however have to be careful as some of the parks cannot take big rigs, but that is also true of rpi, and between the two, pa campgrounds have been better. Although the pricing is about the same. We left vancouver, wa back in october and now we are heading home from florida, and have used both. My only concern would be if the elks clubs are "in town" how easy is it to get your mh down some of the streets we have seen the clubs near. I know the one in camas, wa i would not want to drive my mh on that road.

A tip on gps units, they generally will take you the most direct route, depending on how the units is programed. I also carry the "truckers atlas" to make sure of my route, because gps have taken me on some roads my rv would not fit on, and under some bridge underpasses i could not take my rv under, nor would i have been able to turn around on. So gps is a tool, just one in the box you will use on your travels, don't rely solely on them to get you to where you want to go. We once tried to find an antique store near lake whitney, tx, the gps took us to the address ok, turned out to be a hospital, so beware.
lots of elks club are out skirts of town and some have no hookups but a nice place to park bar and meals some nites, always frendly. You can always call and they will descrbe there parking . The new rlks international book covers all elks lodges and tell if they do not have parking. Call ahead and they will describe theree parking ilks international is the best buy for % 10.00
Old 04-15-2010, 11:44 PM   #11

Wink

Some of the Elks RV parking cost is about the same as PA. There are lots of excellent lodges if you talk to fellow members and get their experiences. For the most part finding the lodge has not been that difficult for us, but you do need to call ahead and find out what size rig they can accomodate.
If you have any questions feel free to PM