Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:07 PM   #1
Alpine Owners Club
??s about the PS slide out

We have an '05 40FDQS...
1. the main heater vent for the front of the coach is in the floor under the slide out when the slide is IN...is it bad to have the furnace on when the slide is in?

2. What's the weight capacity of the slide when it's IN? Another owner said their's was damaged when they sat at the dinnette when the slide was in because the weight of 2 people was too much. We've 're-arranged' the slide furniture and have the table mounted in the center of the windows with a recliner on one side (of the table) and an office chair on the other. Can I sit at the table in my office chair with the slide in, or will it damage the floor?

John and Lori
2005 Alpine Coach 40FDQS
JohnLori is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2010, 08:48 PM   #2
Monaco Owners Club
Well, I don't have an Alpine but since no one else seems to want to comment I will throw out my two cents worth. Common sense would say that as long as there are enough vents still open having one blocked off should not be enough to damage the furnace. Many vents have some method for closing them off anyway. My logic says when the slide is in it would actually be stronger and support more weight than when out since you would actually have a sandwich structure when in. If the upper or inside floor is sagging you have more problems than just a weight issue.

Brian, Loretta & Daisy (Golden Retriever)
2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PDQ , ISL 400
2014 Ford Explorer toad
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:56 PM   #3
John, As you know our slides raise up about 2 1/2 inches before coming in. There is no support for the inside floor edge when the slide is in for the length of the slide. It is not the best design in the world but it is more than adequate with the slide extended. The slide floor is not supported by they main floor when the slide is in. All the weight of the slide and its contents are being supported by the lifting mechanism.

I try not to put extra weight on it well retracted. Repairing the floor if it does get bent would be a big job.

My fear would be if the floor gets bowed down in the center it will not raise enough to clear the living area floor and do some serious damage to the slide/hydraulic mechanism. I have stepped on my slides floor with it retracted for 1 reason or another and noticed the serious lack of support. Now you appear to be much lighter than I am and it may not pose a problem sitting in your chair.
Wayne & Kathy
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:33 AM   #4
John and Lori

Wayne is correct. I know for a fact because it happened to me. Western RV stepped up and replaced the floor in my slide. Had they not done so they told me it eas a $20,000 event. I never let anyone sit or stand in the slide when it is retracted. I think a lot of the problem is that heavy recliner if it is stored to close to the center on the slide. I am in the process of replacing mine with a much lighter model
Tom and Sue
2005 Alpine FDQS
tinytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 07:22 PM   #5
Alpine Owners Club
Thanks Brian and Wayne. Lori thinks the other Alpine owner said his extended insurance paid $20,000 to fix his bent slide---it had to be removed to repair it. So we were wondering if anybody else had experience with that. You could put some kind of support under the edge when the slide is in, but I guess we'll just stay off it.

Also, we were wondering if continually blowing hot furnace air on the bottom of the slide when it is in would eventually damage the paint. We had to leave the heat on for a couple of weeks while we were at home because the outside temps took a dive before we were able to head south. We set the furnace at 40 degrees, and that kept temps 40 degrees in the storage compartment, too--with outside temps in the teens. We left the PS slide out so the living room vent was clear. Kudos to WRV for thinking out that vent placement.

Thanks Tom--you got in there while I was composing the reply. Didn't know if we could mention you by name.
John and Lori
2005 Alpine Coach 40FDQS
JohnLori is offline   Reply With Quote