Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-05-2012, 02:37 PM   #1

Safe-T-Plus and tie rod ends

I have an '05 (built in late '04) 40fdts Alpine. Yes, I corrected the steering box problem and bolts in the rear. I want to have the Safe-T Plus installed before spring travels. The website has two different part numbers. one is for a 1 3/4 inch tie rod and the other is for a 2 inch tie rod. Could my coach have either one or was the smaller tie rod used on shorter coaches? Right now it is in storage 50 miles away so I hope someone can save me a trip to measure it. Enjoy the Super Bowl!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2012, 10:07 PM   #2

Wrinklemeist,

I think it is the 2 inch tie rod. I had Redlands Truck Service install one on mine 3 years ago and I think it works great.

If you called Redlands, I think they will be able to tell you which tie rod you have because they have installed a number of them.

OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:10 PM   #3

Wrinklemeist,

I think it is the 2 inch tie rod. I had Redlands Truck Service install one on mine 3 years ago and I think it works great.

If you called Redlands, I think they will be able to tell you which tie rod you have because they have installed a number of them.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:42 PM   #4

Problem solved. I called Safe-t-plus and was told to order the complete kit for the 1 3/4 inch tie rod AND a set of u-bolts for the 2 inch tie rod in case that is what it turns out to be. The extra u-bolts are only about 5 bucks.
Mike
Old 02-07-2012, 08:45 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
I'm thinking of adding a Safe-T-Plus to my 2009 Alpine. I had one on my 1998 Safari and it was essentual to operation of that coach. The Alpine drives so much better I wonder if the addition is warranted for driveability. Safety from a blowout is a given. If anyone who already added a Safe-T-Plus would share their experiance I would appreciate it
2009 Alpine 36 MDDS 425hp #75798
Anchorage, AK
Taxguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:38 PM   #6

Taxguy,

If you do a search on this forum on Safe-T-Plus you will find lots of feedback from users on it.

But to make it faster, I had one installed 3 years ago before I did the steering bracket modification, for the tire blowout issue, and found it helped a lot on our '06. First thing I noticed is it reduced driver fatigue by reducing (not eliminating) wander, and took less pressure than before to hold the coach in severe side winds, or when a truck passed me during a crosswind and I had to compensate.

So the short answer for me is it helped the driver fatigue on my 300-450 mile days, which I get a number of, to make it worth the Safe-T-Plus for that issue alone. And although Alpines handle front tire blow outs well, it's an added safety factor.