Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2006, 11:20 AM   #1

We bought our Avalanche in August of 2004 in Northern California. Loved the coach from the start. The floorplan along with the amenities are fantastic for the price. Plus, as you all know, it drives like a dream!

Every year, during the week between Christmas and New Years we camp along the Russian River near Guernville, and as you may have heard, it rains quite a bit during this time. Last year, 2004, we took the Avalanche for the first time on this trip. The roof leaked profusely! We had water almost everywhere. Contacted WRV and the coach was driven to the factory for sealing of the leaks and significant repair including replacement of the cabinets, carpet etc. Turned out that the roof was never sealed during the original build!

When we got the coach back, we were happy with the repairs, but still skeptical about the sealing of the roof.

Took the coach again this year, first significant rain it has seen since the repair last year, and of course, it leaked! Not as bad as last year, but we had water coming in above the kitchen sink soaking the cabinets in that area and in the bedroom and bathroom.

Have a call in to Mike Glazier to see where we go from here. Looks like it will need to be fixed and sealed again. I will recommend the use of the air pressure test method that is available now.

We really like the coach, but this is getting old! Anyone else having this kind of problem?
WeBrzn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2006, 11:20 AM   #2

We bought our Avalanche in August of 2004 in Northern California. Loved the coach from the start. The floorplan along with the amenities are fantastic for the price. Plus, as you all know, it drives like a dream!

Every year, during the week between Christmas and New Years we camp along the Russian River near Guernville, and as you may have heard, it rains quite a bit during this time. Last year, 2004, we took the Avalanche for the first time on this trip. The roof leaked profusely! We had water almost everywhere. Contacted WRV and the coach was driven to the factory for sealing of the leaks and significant repair including replacement of the cabinets, carpet etc. Turned out that the roof was never sealed during the original build!

When we got the coach back, we were happy with the repairs, but still skeptical about the sealing of the roof.

Took the coach again this year, first significant rain it has seen since the repair last year, and of course, it leaked! Not as bad as last year, but we had water coming in above the kitchen sink soaking the cabinets in that area and in the bedroom and bathroom.

Have a call in to Mike Glazier to see where we go from here. Looks like it will need to be fixed and sealed again. I will recommend the use of the air pressure test method that is available now.

We really like the coach, but this is getting old! Anyone else having this kind of problem?
Old 01-10-2006, 08:09 AM   #3

I have an "05" Limited and had to return to WRV last Nov for many items; one being leaks. Even though I had recaulked the front running lights and frt cap joint we continually had water on dash and coming out the TV. They resealed the frt cap extensively; 90% success: hvy rains or sad programming still finds a weeping Television.

Our biggest leak was in the same area of concern you have the sink cabinet area. They found that the slide unit was out of adjustment (rear of slide 1/4 inchlower than frt). When water blew under awning onto slide top it would enter under slight gap in rubber seal. The slide adjustment appently is simple for them (it fixed the leak...yeh) however the lower trim panel was bent in the process but we are dry!
skyguy62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 02:40 PM   #4

Anyone know how to adjust the distance the main slide goes out? Mine depolys.50 further in the back of the slide compared to the front. This cause the wiper seal to go past the seal depressor. Which is probably why my slide leaks in the same area as above.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 03:11 PM   #5

I talked to Rex today and the adjustment is on the end of the ram. I had tried it but just didn't go far enough. It now deploys square to the coach. It still does not depress the upper wiper seal enough in the last 3 feet towards the rear. It appears to me the only adjustment left is to change the rub blocks in the ram tube to raise the slide. The adjustment on the end of the tube tilts the slide by raising or lowering the outside wall of the slide. Rex also suggested that a wider wiper seal would fix the problem. This appears to be a factory job so I will leave it alone until next summer when I return to Yakima. I will just continue to close the slide in a rainstorm.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 12:50 PM   #6

Wayne, don't know if I have the exact same situation for one of the leaks, but it does sound like it may be similar. I have an Avalanche which has the Power Gear slide mechanisms rather than the HWH that you have. I have noticed that there seems to be some out of square situation under certain conditions on my kitchen side slide.

I also seem to have a leak in the roof again, so it appears that I may have at least two different entry points. Noticed water above the windshield this weekend as well as the other areas, maybe the front cap or the clearance lights for that one.

Coach is at the dealership now for evaluation and hopefully locating the source of the leaks.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:16 PM   #7

I have an Avalanche with a small leak in the front. Am going to attempt to seal the area with some sealant. Any suggestions. Many have referred to the end cap. I assume the end cap is the small raised portion that runs across the top/roof in the very front.
Andy Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 02:55 PM   #8

Andy, my only suggestion is you ask WRV what sealant they would recommend. Actually sounds pretty stupid as it did not work the first time. Odds are it was never there to begin with. If you do it with the product they suggst they will have less argument when you speak to them about it. On the other hand in following your posts they have not exactly been stand up folks with your problems. For some reason this company feels it can ignore it's previous problems and new people will just buy new units. Probably the worst marketing approach I have ever heard. I really do not know who makes these decisions but as a business man of 47 years there method will not work.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 05:08 PM   #9

Andy,

I would ask WRV what they used to seal the end cap, and then use something else!!! I had a bad leak in my '04, and it was from the end cap sealant. It was badly cracked and pealing in a year and a half. I had previously replaced the vents, and whatever WRV used to seal those was much better. It was adherent and pliable when I removed it. Definitely not the same stuff they used on the end caps.

In my case, the old caulking on the end cap was easy to remove with a putty knife. I used ProFlex RV sealant from Camping World, and it seems to be holding up very well. No leaks.

This website might be interesting reading:

http://www.bestmaterials.com/Handlin...re_in_RVs.aspx

Good luck.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:16 PM   #10

My windshield leaked, tried to sealing the cap, around the running lights, sealed the windshield on the outside. Nothing worked until my brother in law came over, he's a windshield installer. He ran an ice pick over the inside seam around the upper part of the windshield and found 2 places where the sealant was to shallow. He said when they installed the windshield the installer stopped the caulking gun and didn't have a continuous bead across the top. Find you shallow places and squeeze more caulking into the holes. Hope this Helps
Nick Escamilla
Nick Escamilla is offline   Reply With Quote