Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2010, 08:03 PM   #1

satellite dish

Good morning...
I have a 06 alpine with a sat dish on the roof, and it makes all kinds of noise going down the road. I was told it was from the air currents from around the air conditioner. I was also told that many of he alpine owners who had the same problem came up with several fixes. like an air dam or deflector. I would like to hear from some of you as to what you did and how you did it. oh I am not to bright so I need very detailed explination or even a drawing or several pictures.... Thank You Dan
Dandrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2010, 09:17 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Hello & Welcome to the IRV2 Forum Dan:

I am not quite sure which Dish you have or the location on the roof of your Alpine.

Originally WRV placed the Moto Stat Dish forward of the front A/C and many of them made quite a bit of noise caused by the air passing across the roof of the Coach. WRV later placed the Dish behind the front AC which helped eliminate the noise. Many of the newer Alpines had a dome dish on the roof which should not make any noise unless something in side the dome is loose. Some of the owners have had the Newer HD fold-up dish installed on the roof but I have not heard of any problems so far.

I have not heard of anyone placing a spoiler in front of the dish put if they have one of members of this forum mite have further info on your problem.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 11:52 PM   #3

I agree with Dave's comments. When I had my 2000 Alpine with a motosat in front of the AC, the dish was bouncing on the the roof from the wind. I did try putting a deflector in front of it which did not work. I did talk to Royal Lamb who is now VP at Motosat and he said Alpine Coaches do not have enough suppport in the roof for Motosat Dishes to be mounted in front of the AC. He told me to move it behind the AC and I had no problem then.

On my 2007 Alpine , I just removed my Kingdome on the front because it would not clear my garage door. It had 4 mounting plates with small screws in the fiberglass. If this what you have, I would make sure it still securely attached to the roof. A Kingdome should be ok in front of AC, but I would not mount any type of sat dish ant in front.

Now I am installing a Motosat and I did email Royal to ask where to install it. He told me be safe I should install it behind the AC.

Kraig
2007 Apex
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 02:25 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
I just purchased a Winegard HD dish 2 days ago and had the King Dome removed. I was advised that Winegard dishes needed no updates as do the Moto Stats. Also we had the Winegard installed in front of the front air on our 07 and so far no wind noise. I only have about 200 miles since it was installed, but have come down I-5 from Oregon in some strong winds and all is quiet on the roof.

Just my 2 cents worth!!
Rusty Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:16 PM   #5

We installed a Winegard HD dish at Quartzite in January and it has worked fine, installed behind the air conditioner. No noise or unusual sounds going down the road, with 1000 miles or so on it since. We left the Kingdome in place.
Former Owner, 2005 Tioga 31M and Arctic Fox 22GQ
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Bear View Post
I just purchased a Winegard HD dish 2 days ago and had the King Dome removed. I was advised that Winegard dishes needed no updates as do the Moto Stats. Also we had the Winegard installed in front of the front air on our 07 and so far no wind noise. I only have about 200 miles since it was installed, but have come down I-5 from Oregon in some strong winds and all is quiet on the roof.

Just my 2 cents worth!!
Rusty,

After 1000 miles I said the same thing! But that was before some strong winds in Arizona last week and in the Banning pass coming home today. It scared me. I will be moving mine ASAP. If nothing else, I prefer it not be rattling directly above my head!

My coach had the solar panel mounted behind the front air conditioner, so I decided to try the new dish up front instead of moving the solar panel.

But I love the Winegard HD dish.