Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-10-2009, 04:37 PM   #15

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
There is something sexy about that MotoSat blue light.

toad 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2009, 07:49 PM   #16

Alpine Owners Club
Blue light

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry davis View Post
There is something sexy about that MotoSat blue light.
It's not so sexy when it's somebody else's shining in the bed room window.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:20 PM   #17

It doesn't happen that often and the light is easy enough to turn off.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:35 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne R View Post
I don't consider myself a disgruntled X KD owner. I just moved on because of the rattling going down the road and the desire for HD. Oh yea and I have always liked the blue LED light on the MotoSat units.
I can assure you that unless someone really screwed up when they installed your KD and the dome itself was able to move there is nothing that the Alpine vortex could do to cause the interior working of your dome to rattle. I believe that any today's open face dishes are better than any of today's domes, but I have never seen any amount of external wind that could cause any amount of movement inside a dome. Now, if you are driving down I-5 and your dome is noisy, I would be able to make a pretty good guess as to what was causing the noise and none of these guesses would be wind.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:51 PM   #19

Wow
Can't wait till I have a serious problem.
I have solar panels behind the front AC so thats out.
I think I will start with searching for prewired cables after the rain stops.
Next I'll try to pull new cables in with the old cable.
Last, It's going on the front.
Thanks for all the great ideas, Keep them coming.
Happy Holidays to all.

Gator and Rose
Old 12-11-2009, 07:46 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Adams View Post
I can assure you that unless someone really screwed up when they installed your KD and the dome itself was able to move there is nothing that the Alpine vortex could do to cause the interior working of your dome to rattle. I believe that any today's open face dishes are better than any of today's domes, but I have never seen any amount of external wind that could cause any amount of movement inside a dome. Now, if you are driving down I-5 and your dome is noisy, I would be able to make a pretty good guess as to what was causing the noise and none of these guesses would be wind.
Bill, I never meant to imply the wind was causing the noise. My issue was from rough roads and the internal mechanism bouncing and the noise being transmitted through the solid roof on the Alpine. Being so close to the drivers head it bothered me. Obviously it is not an issue with many others.

Having owned a 2000 Alpine with the executive dish. The wind was not the only issue. It would bang around at slow speeds also and make rattling and banging noises. In my opinion the solid construction of the Alpine roof causes minor noises to be amplified. Heck just a bird walking on the roof in the morning is easily heard inside.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:21 AM   #21

My noise came from the CB radio and regular radio antenna's banging together so tied one of them back at an angle and that stopped my noise ....
Old 12-11-2009, 08:32 AM   #22

Gatorrv, Sorry about getting off track on your original question. I was just sharing my experience.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:39 AM   #23

Alpine Owners Club
Gator,

On my 2002, which came with a factory installed MotoSat, the wires for it ran thru a hole made in the roof into the TV cabinet. I did have noise problems with the MotoSat mounted in front of the AC, which moving to behind the AC cured. On the new coach, with the dome mounted ahead of the AC we had no noise problems, I just didn't like the dome.

When I changed to a MotoSat on our new coach, I just ran the wires over the roof to the area above the entertainment center and then thru the roof. I couldn't fit the new wires into the trace used for the original dome and I had to move the MotoSat back behind the front AC anyway. I wanted 2 antenna leads for a rear DVR, so I ran those 2 wires back under the solar panel and thru the roof with the factory installed solar panel wiring. I clamp the wires to the roof every 3 feet or so and then use a drop of sealer every foot to secure the wires. I check all of my roof sealing regularly.

Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 09:40 PM   #24

Install is complete

I installed my dish last Sunday.
By the way it was a KVH not a Kingdome.
The wires came from the roof on top of the refrig.
All coax was behind the cabinets on the passenger side.
I ran a snake through an opening at the front door behind the upper cabinets to the refrig and pulled the new control wire through.
Took all day but its done an works great.

Just FYI

Gator
Old 12-14-2009, 09:45 PM   #25

Gator- come join us at Quartzite and show off your new installation. Hope to see you at a rally soon.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:04 AM   #26

Alpine Owners Club
Gator:

Welcome. Also thanks for verifying the cable run I suspected in my coach. I'm planning on running stereo wiring in that run (dash to fridge to bin).

My coach has dome up front (cables down into cabinets), MotoSat behind front AC and solar panels (cables down into cabinet over dining area), then a Winegard crankup dish offset toward passenger side (cables in same hole as big dish).

I recently ditched the small dish and replaced it with a Sensar HD batwing. I also pulled the big dish to save weight, but can quickly resecure it. A fulltimer would want the big dish, I just use my datacard for now.

No noise from anything.