RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-06-2018, 07:13 PM   #1

Satellite Question

Fellow Alpiners,

I have the King-Dome 9702 dish installed on the coach. I have Dish at home. I contact King Controls and was told that it would work using a Dish receiver. I called Dish and they said if the satellite dish was manufactured before 2013 that it wouldn't work.

Does anyone have the same model this is working and being used with Dish? If so, any pointers?

Thanks in advance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2018, 08:37 PM   #2

Yep, they're right it won't work. Dish changed the way the automatic dishes lock onto the satellite about that time. Virtually none of the older automatic dishes will work with Dish's new system. My KVH antenna on my boat ($3700.00 worth) quit working that spring. After trying everything I could think of, I called the KVH service department and they gave me the bad news. There was no fix or retrofit for the old antenna, the only option was to buy a new antenna to work with Dish's new system.

bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 06:39 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
We put on an rf mogul satellite system and are very happy with it.
If that helps at all...
Old 08-07-2018, 10:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMan59 View Post
We put on an rf mogul satellite system and are very happy with it.
If that helps at all...
I would love to go that route, but not in the position to drop $1500+ on a satellite dish. We use Dish, so I just ordered the Dish Playmaker (Winegard) with the roof mount. Traced everything out today and ordered the dish and a receiver for $300. Reviews are pretty good on that system, so we shall see.
HamboneTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 07:01 AM   #5

…..curious, does your new antenna self-aim/lock or do you do it manually? I still use the OEM dish that came with my 2003--manual aim but works just fine. There was another thread on IRV2 suggesting that both Dish and Direct were going to high def only so the older-style dishes would at some point in the future, no longer work? Lot of discussion on the thread, not sure there was a conclusion about "if or when."
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 07:09 AM   #6

@Old Scout
Question. I just bought a 2000 Southwind with a Winegard dish on the roof. I have been hearing it will not work, but are you saying if it is a manual tune (which this is) it will still work? I would like to have a dish, but only if I can get the one I have to work. Otherwise I guess I will have to read a book or talk to my girlfriend.
Southwindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 07:19 AM   #7

SWM--lets not do anything serious here--books and talking that is [smile]. Since I am using a 2003 era dish, I am clearly not the expert to ask on this subject. But yes, my old manual dish still works with Direct TV....but obviously not in high Def. Recently had an issue [could have been the plug--oops?] with my old satellite box and Direct sent me a "new" one. However, I got the idea working with them, that my older box was no longer current--as they sent me what I assume was a refurbished box and told me to trash my old one??????
Old 08-08-2018, 07:21 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southwindman View Post
@Old Scout
Question. I just bought a 2000 Southwind with a Winegard dish on the roof. I have been hearing it will not work, but are you saying if it is a manual tune (which this is) it will still work? I would like to have a dish, but only if I can get the one I have to work. Otherwise I guess I will have to read a book or talk to my girlfriend.
Yes it will work if you get a receiver and hook it up. If you want to use DirecTV you are going to need to find an older SD, non SWM receiver. They don't sell them anymore but you can get one used. Be careful on the used market, however, since some of the units will never work again because they have been pulled from account that are still owing balances to DTV.

We are all waiting for DTV to announce just what they intend to do in 2019. It is possible that our dishes will be junk, but also possible that we need some new parts and will be able to get HD on the existing manual dish units.

Most have bet that they will miss 2019 and move into 2020. I have all SD service in my home and coach and have yet to get any notice from DTV that I must change hardware.
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 07:27 AM   #9

….Scott is right on the old receivers---they are basically dumb boxes, kind of like the old cell phones....you have to have a valid "sim" card in them that Direct recognizes and can activate--otherwise all you have is a dumb box .....
Old 08-08-2018, 08:17 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
I knew that DirecTV had announced the end of SD broadcasts when I installed my crank up Winegard years ago. Today, the situation is still pretty muddy. They have announced that they will not initiate new SD contracts in 2019. The real issue is what will they will put on the 101 satellite, which is the target of all 18" Directv dishes and has many years of operational time left. They are still silent on what will happen. My bet (and hope) is that they will stop broadcast of all local channels in SD, but keep the national channels on 101 going forward. But hey...its AT&T! Someday they will tell us but right now all the 18" Winegards are on backorder but still considered current product. Somebody know, but isn't telling.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:25 AM   #11

Photos for previous post.

Not sure if it has a receiver...looks like it has a VCR and a control/switch and something else.

Thanks for your time and help everyone.
Attached Images

Old 08-08-2018, 08:31 AM   #12

The SD box worked with the manual dish on my last motorhome, a 2000 (Direct TV). I also currently have that same box working on my Alpine with the King dome, auto aquire, but it does require some fiddling to get it to work.
I basically have to do a new install setup on it most of the time to get to work.
2005 Alpine 36FDDS #75268
MARYSVILLE, WA.
Jeep401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:33 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southwindman View Post
Not sure if it has a receiver...looks like it has a VCR and a control/switch and something else.

Thanks for your time and help everyone.
Couldn't zoom in on your image, but that "something else" could be a DTV receiver. Do you see a panel that looks like this? If so, you have an elevation sensor on that Winegard.
Attached Images

Old 08-08-2018, 08:43 AM   #14

I don't think so. These are pictures the current owner took for me. I don't pick it up till next week.

Tags
satellite