Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-02-2006, 02:46 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to RVersOnline
We'd be interested in any comments Alpine owners might have about satellite radio. The '07 models are "satellite radio ready". But I note the brand that's its setup for is Sirius. Not sure if one could substitute XM in such a setup -- and I'm wondering if there are opinions about which of the two services would make the better choice.

Thanks for any input...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2006, 02:46 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to RVersOnline
We'd be interested in any comments Alpine owners might have about satellite radio. The '07 models are "satellite radio ready". But I note the brand that's its setup for is Sirius. Not sure if one could substitute XM in such a setup -- and I'm wondering if there are opinions about which of the two services would make the better choice.

Thanks for any input...

Old 09-02-2006, 03:07 PM   #3

I have both and prefer Sirius.
Old 09-02-2006, 06:21 PM   #4

I like XM. Don't care for Howard Stearn or any one who would hire him.

2000 Alpine Millennium Edition
Danny Gayhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 07:35 PM   #5

I have XM but have had an issue. Because I wanted to use it in my auto, motor home and at home, I chose a more portable unit - XM to Go by Pioneer. My motor home had a Pioneer radio (XM ready) and felt that the portable unit would work OK. It works but the XM antenna on the roof could not be used because the connection was not compatable thus requiring a different antenna connection. Result, the performance is not what it would be if I could have used the roof antenna. You would think that it would be an easy match using similiar manufacturers, but that has not been the case. I have a hard time understanding WRV. I have read so many postings about the TV/Sound systems and problems that they experience and now for 2007, they are changing them when previous systems may not be perfected.
Old 09-02-2006, 07:48 PM   #6

I'm with Danny........... both programming is fairly similar, and any station that would put smut like Stearn on the air, can not get my support. Surely to each their own, and nothing personal against Stearn, I just find nothing entertaining about his in-the-gutter, woman degrading humor. Yet, I have to admit that for a person to make as money as he does, one thing he isn't..... is stupid, and I would probably slap woman on the butt with a dead fish too for a few million too.

I bought the Sky2 with two extra Install kits (3) in order to switch the Head Unit between our vehicles.

I bought the XM out of desperation of having difficulty finding an English speaking radio station format in Southern California anymore. The only LA Country station just switched to some bump n'grind-hip-hop-techno-crap music that I can not understand. It was ironic they made this change the same weekend that Tim McGraw/Faith Hill had two sold out nights at the Staples Center in downtown LA. Tim and Faith's tour has been the #2 selling concert this summer.

I think the satellite radio will soon replace AM/FM. I remember when FM came along and was totally excited about the new choices in listening. XM is good, but I am starting to notice advertising being plugged here and there. Just like Cable TV started out commercial free, I think satellite radio will eventually go for the big-bucks.

For now I thing it's the best we have. I listen for the music choices, but also like the News, Weather, and Traffic that you can not get good coverage on FM.

.......... enough said,

Walt

2004 Alpine 40FDTS
Indio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 02:21 AM   #7

.................................................. ............................It amazes me that Stern is the reason you went with XM,he truly is King of all media,he affected your decision to choose one co. over another.XM has Opie and Anthony,so the point is mute.I have Sirius,like the football and Hockey.I never listen to Terrestrial radio since I got it.The thing to do is listen online for the free trial and go from there.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 05:37 AM   #8

I have both and I prefer Sirius
Old 09-03-2006, 05:38 AM   #9

Hey Danny, When Stern was on television does that mean you didn't watch TV.
Old 09-03-2006, 06:04 AM   #10

I've been thinking about XM too. Just resist the idea of another perpetual "utility bill".

Anyway, what does "XM ready" mean for the Pioneer radios in our Alpines? (04 vintage)

Is it just an aux audio input or can the radio serve as the head unit, maybe with a Pioneer accessory. If so, is it better to get a popular head unit due to better features/display?

Thanks
Old 09-03-2006, 07:52 AM   #11

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort http://www.twospringsrv.com/
Greetings from Camp WRV,

I have seen three types of radios: XM Ready, Sirius Ready and Satellite Ready (both). All this implies that the radio has connections, etc for satellite radio. When you sign up for one of the services, they install a box (satellite receiver?) under the dash.

We have XM and love it. We are sitting here in the parking lot of the WRV Customer Service parking lot listening to beautiful, non-commercial music. Only way to go. Only three of the original eight coaches here remain. The rest of us are signing up to bring dishes to the Thanksgiving dinner potluck. HA!

I understand that WRV is installing Sirius Ready radios now.
Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 01:54 PM   #12

I'm with Danny also...had XM before Howard hit the Serius scene though. (If I didn't he would have driven me to XM). XM is financially more stable although Serius seems to have a little more momentum. Serius' $400 M they are paying Stern hasn't been financially beneficial for them...they are not bringing in enough new customers to pay for him...bad business decision. How many more bad business decisions will they make? Virtually anyone could have told them it was bad before they made it based on numbers alone. Anyway, Serius is probably as good as XM...programming is similar. I have a portable unit so I don't have to pay additional fees for different vehicles and the home. One final item, XM is on Direct TV so if you have in motion satellite, you can get XM without subscribing...not as many stations on TV though.
Old 09-03-2006, 08:13 PM   #13

Danny has it right! When Stern was on tv i did watch tv, but not that channel. The only way we have to voice our objection is with our pocketbook.

Our coach is SIRIUS equiped so we bought an XM that works through the tape player in the radio and we really enjoy it.

Sully
Old 09-04-2006, 04:36 AM   #14

I had XM long before Stearn came along, but have I been in the market then it would have affected my choice. I love TV, not Howard!

Danny

2000 Alpine Millennium Edition
Danny Gayhart is offline   Reply With Quote