Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:44 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Self Healing Apex

We just returned from a week at our summer place. While there, we helped put on a spaghetti feed to raise money for the Oso slide victims. We had an issue with the HWH where the pump would run when you turned the key to accessory which necessitated removing the power lead in order to drive. It stopped doing that and is now behaving but I know it will return because electrical issues don't cure themselves.

I have an issue with the Majestic W/D however. It operates correctly until the rinse cycle. Somehow the drain stays open and water continues to flow until I turn the knob to get it to agitate. Shouldn't it be filling with water and agitating for awhile and then spin out to complete the cycle?

2006 Alpine Apex M-40FDQS #75594
2014 Honda CRV w/navi
Janet and Todd is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2014, 09:20 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
J & T,

So, your MH is "self healing" but not exactly!? Apparently, your W/D didn't get the memo about self healing.

I believe you probably have the 625 HWH system whereas I have the 610 system (older coach). Regardless, the HWH pump only turns on if the pump relay is activated. The Master relay turns on the Pump relay. You didn't mention which lead you removed to stop the pump from running. My guess would be that one of those relays was stuck closed and probably released while traveling. A light rap with a hammer or similar tool could possibly have corrected the problem.

The next time it happens, you need to use a volt-ohm meter to determine if one of the relays is being activated. If the Pump relay does not have voltage on the small posts of the relay then the relay is stuck closed. If it does have voltage then check the Master relay in an identical manner. If the Master relay has voltage then the problem is in the control circuit. The circuit board could be erroneously activating the pump or perhaps one of your switches is sticking and therefore activating the pump.

I guess you'll have to wait until "next time". I suggest you have a testing game plan ready to implement to determine the culprit (relay, control board, or switch). Good luck ... hope it's really "self healed"!?

bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:39 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks Bob, for a very interesting response. I wish I had a clue how to check all those items or even identify them. The lead I removed was the positive lead from the large pump which which was buried in wiring and wiring harnesses. I taped up the end with electrical tape while we traveled. It's a hassle at the filling station as you can imagine. We're headed to Florence, OR on Friday and trying to meet up with Joe Elwell for a check out.
2006 Alpine Apex M-40FDQS #75594
2014 Honda CRV w/navi
Janet and Todd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:36 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Sounds like you removed the large red power cable from the pump. That lead should be a relatively short cable terminated on the Pump relay. The power cables are attached to the large terminals on the relay. The other red power cable should also be a relatively short cable connected to the Master Relay. The Master relay has the main power cable coming from the house power cutoff switch along the side of the steps. Again, I'm assuming that your system is similar to mine with the exception of the generator slide which is also hydraulic on my coach thus requiring an additional relay just for that purpose.

The Pump relay and the Master relay which are typically strapped to the pump motor with hose clamps. The small terminals on each relay have a ground wire on one terminal while the other small terminal receives activation voltage. As I said in the previous post, hopefully it's really "self healed" and doesn't happen again. If your situation was caused by a sticking relay then you can pretty much be expecting another occurrence.
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 05:01 PM   #5

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort http://www.twospringsrv.com/
I had a similar problem with the hydraulic pump on occasion coming on for no reason which is unsettling. Turned out that the wire harness that connects from the hydraulic compartment to the Smart-Bed control switches (or touchpads if not updated) on the dining room slide got hung up in the slide and shorted out.
Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote