Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2018, 05:08 PM   #1

Lightbulb Semi-frozen overhead light lenses

f104 search= no result

Changing out the interior light for LEDs in all those lil round lights is relatively easy but 5 of the ceiling mounts won't unscrew more than a slight amount (about 10 degrees).

Despite using rubber gloves for extra finger traction and circumerentially sliding my Love's card (must be good or something) between the ceiling panel and lenses, there was no improvement despite breaking some stickiness. One bedroom lens held a bit of water (will investigate that) but still came off. None of my pliers with rubber teeth covers are large enough to grab them without chipping the glass. Maybe sections of inner tube will work as plier pads unless someone knows a trick. I'd squirt silicone lube in there, but doubt it'd reach where the lens tabs grab the housing.

BTW, the over-dash lights now work again, though the headlight switch contact isn't perfect. For the under counter lights, at least, I think I'd be happier with other color temps (seem brighter) than the natural light LEDs I chose. I'll have to see how it all looks after sunset one day.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2018, 05:46 PM   #2

We must have different ceiling fixtures. Maybe one of those rubber strap oil filter wrenches would do the trick. We found a 10 pack of the LED’s for the under cabinet lights online for $20. Look for 2700 degree Kelvin for the warm night time look. If you have those trendy blue LED lights under your awning that make it look like everyone is in a fish tank, the bluish lights under the cabinets might go unnoticed. At least until your eyes adjust.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:12 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
I had to resort to purchasing new ones after masking taping over the frozen covers and rapping them with a ball peen hammer to break and remove them.
Janet and Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 06:06 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
I also had to break 2 of mine to gain access. The problem is WRV did not make the hole in the ceiling big enough. There is not enough room for the plastic spring loaded tabs to open and rotate the lense. For a fix I used a sharp knife to cut a small mount of plywood at the spring loaded tab locations.
Gary Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:28 PM   #5

darn

Neither the rubber shielded pliers nor the oil strap wrench worked. I'm considering breaking them, tho, the lights work okay. Is it worth saving a few watts for that? Probably not, but uniformity of the lights is preferred.

These are glass 1/2 turn-to-lock lenses. Some have thin silicone-like 'washers', while others don't; maybe lost over the years? The glass has tabs that lock them into the metal housing. I see no plastic tabs, so these may be different fixtures.

I have a larger channel lock pliers that I'll try (with rubber shield) before shopping replacements and breakage. Its jaws offer better geometry to span and grip the perimeter.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:08 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Northwest RV Supply is the place I found replacements. There are two diameters so make sure you order the right size.
Old 12-07-2018, 04:11 PM   #7

Thumbs up Thanks, all. Solved

Duct tape, worked between the light edge and ceiling, afforded enough grip for the larger pliers to turn/remove the lenses, without a too-hard squeeze. Not using the tape risks chipping the edge or worse.

The pics don't fully depict it but these 'natural light' LEDs seem less bright than the hot-running halogens.

I changed 20 of the 21, (ordered 2x10) sets.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OverheadLiteTapePliers.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	228356   Click image for larger version

Name:	OverheadLiteSizeLED.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	209.6 KB
ID:	228357  

Click image for larger version

Name:	OverheadLEDhalogen.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	228358   Click image for larger version

Name:	OverheadLitePliers.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	228359  

Old 12-07-2018, 04:38 PM   #8

Foretravel Owners Club
One "trick" I found is to use a credit card or stiff business and slip all around between the ceiling upholstery and the light cover . then push up and turn..
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 06:13 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Now try dimming the ones on a dimmer.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:12 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Hi all,

I'm under the impression that you need a special dimmer for the LEDs. It's called a PWM (Pulse Width Modulation). I bought three of them, years ago when I converted to LEDs, and one recently failed. I bought a replacement on Amazon but it is not installed yet. Their page is:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cheers, and Happy Holidays!
Mike & Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 03:22 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Incandescent bulbs dim by reducing the voltage, led bulbs dim by reducing the time (in milliseconds) the full 12 volts is applied to the led. It takes the full voltage to turn on the led, the dimmer just pulses it, that is why some led bulbs appear to flicker.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 03:24 PM   #12

When I need to separate a frozen lens from the fixture, I pry off the fixture with the lens. Slip a putty around the edges, to break the seal to the vinyl roof, then work around and pry down the fixture. It is then easier to see how the lens is held in the fixture. Manipulate the clips and unscrew the lens. Saves on chipped lens. This fix was recommended by WRV, (in the old days).
Old 12-10-2018, 08:58 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet and Todd View Post
Now try dimming the ones on a dimmer.
Actually, they do, tho not perfectly, similar to some in the house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed & Diane View Post
This fix was recommended by WRV.
Good to know. Hopefully, I won't have to do this again, IF these LEDs prove more true to their forecast life than CFLs did.
With some lights, the twist-off was easy, but the difficult ones allowed no push-up or twisting with the snugness to the ceiling. Not wishing to break any using forceful removal, I got it done as above. I'd expected, but did not find, corrosion to be the cause of the resistance.

Now, to restore driving light function!

Tags
light