Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-08-2016, 01:26 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Service Brake Coming on when at Idle

First off this is an issue more related to steering than braking. We are currently in North Palm Springs. When backing into our site the steering got almost impossible to turn and the Service Brake warning light on the dash came on. It went off when I stopped trying to turn the wheel and/or when I sped up the engine. Speeding up was not wise as I had only inches before going into a hedge!
I recently had the PS pump replaced and they replaced all the ATF in the rear canister and lines plus new filters. I checked the rear canister and it is full and there are no obvious signs of leakage.
Thoughts on what might be wrong, and how to check it, from other Alpine owners, would be greatly appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2016, 01:45 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Try checking the drive belt for the PS pump
What make and model of coach?

Sorry, can't see a signature on my phone

Old 01-08-2016, 04:47 PM   #3

Jeff,

I'm sure you're well aware of the hydraulic pump problem. I believe I changed mine about 3-4 weeks before you changed yours.

Those are the symptoms I had and I'm assuming, yeah I know, that you had the same steering issue at idle or very low speed. I haven't put many miles on mine since I had the pump replaced but all is well as of now. I did have the filters replaced and the whole system flushed and refilled with Dexron III.

On the plus side, you are only 40 miles from Redlands Truck and RV. Hopefully it's not a bad pump.

Terry
Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 08:27 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Keith and Mike from Redlands are down at the FMCA rally in Indio this weekend (if you'd like to schedule a time to have them look at it in Indio or in Redlands, CA)
2006 Alpine Apex M-40FDQS #75594
2014 Honda CRV w/navi
Janet and Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 05:24 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Service Brake Coming on when at Idle

No one has mentioned idle speed. IIRC spec idle speed is around 700 - 725 rpms. If I use the switch to set idle, I can set it as low as 525 rpm. At that speed the steering wheel is hard to turn. Pick it up 150 rpm and the hard steering disappears.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 01-12-2016, 11:39 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
All,
Tried T&P's idle speed adjustment. Found that at 700RPM or so the steering was responsive initially but as I turned the wheel more, the Service Brake light same on and steering got difficult. Kicking RPM up to 1000, I could turn the wheel, light would come on then go off if I stopped turning, then would come on again when I again started turning the wheel. The tires were in gravel so stress on the steering components was minimized as much as possible for being stationary.
I have an appt. at Redlands for 2/1 so will see what they find. I am hoping that this is not a failed steering pump, as it was replaced in late November, we shall see.
BTW, if anyone has additional input, I'd appreciate hearing from you.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:26 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
I am sure you have done it, but I would check the fluid level again, just to be sure.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 03:33 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Time to catch up on this item. Arranged to have the coach looked at by Redlands Truck and RV. On the way out of the park we were staying in, both power steering and power breaks failed. The only break assist was the hydromax. We have AAA with RV for road emergencies so called them and got a tow to the shop. A quick check determined that indeed the pump had failed. I got in touch White House Products in England and ordered a replacement pump. Ordered it Tuesday and it arrived Friday morning. I had a power flush done and the new pump installed. Took the failed pump to Fed Ex for shipment to WHP. Now we wait for refund on the failed pump. Currently off Plomosa Rd in Quartzsite. The drive over was notable only for it being so routine. Now we hope that this pump lasts.
Old 02-08-2016, 04:15 PM   #9

Jeff,

How did it drive over to Quartzsite? I hope it all went well....
Old 02-08-2016, 08:28 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Mike,
The trip over was pretty routine. On exception: For about 3 miles before Indio traffic was stop and stop due to an earlier multi-car accident. This took 50 minutes to travel the 3 miles. Needless to say the brakes got a very good workout. Throughout the drive over steering was good and braking too. When I got here, I realized that the brakes/steering had not crossed my mind. Thank-you for being so good about getting this fixed ASAP. Additionally, a big thank-you for being able to stay next to your building. The amenities were a huge help.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:49 AM   #11

Absolutely Jeff! Anytime and Thank You for choosing Our Shop!

Tags
brake, service