Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-14-2005, 05:14 PM   #1

We noticed that when we dump the black tank, sewer odor permeates the inside of the coach... primarily in the livingroom area. The ONLY time we have this problem is when we dump. Has anyone else encountered this problem and/or come up with a solution? Thanks!

gator67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2005, 05:14 PM   #2

We noticed that when we dump the black tank, sewer odor permeates the inside of the coach... primarily in the livingroom area. The ONLY time we have this problem is when we dump. Has anyone else encountered this problem and/or come up with a solution? Thanks!

Old 07-14-2005, 07:19 PM   #3

There are many ways that black tank odor can enter the coach, assuming it is truly black tank odor. Grey tanks can smell just as bad as black tanks as will LP at times. Try doing a search for "black tank odor". I'm sure will find many answers.

Danny

2000 Alpine Millennium Edition
Danny Gayhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 08:29 PM   #4

I have heard of many people thinking the smell from the gray tank is black tank odor. However, black or gray, try putting water down each drain, sinks, shower, washing machine etc after dumping. Sometimes dumping will siphon water out of the traps allowing the odor to come out the drains. Putting water back down the drains will fill the traps and block the odor. If this is what is happening, perhaps a vent is plugged.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:03 PM   #5

.....use something thicker than water when you travel....like antifreeze-or water with dish soap.. It won't slosh and drain the trap...make sure your vent is open and clear....sometimes the vent is too small and will cause the traps to suck dry...4" dump and a 2" vent will cause problems.....geofkaye
Old 07-20-2005, 06:22 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
gator67,
I too was getting that unpleasent smell, but mine was usually after dry camping for several days then moving the coach. Most likely yours as well as mine was 'gray water' as the 'black tank' has only the toilet going into it and only one vent pipe on the right side of the coach. However the 'gray' is different, as you have the kitchen, bath, shower, & washing machine hook up. While at the ACA rally at Quartzsite this year, I bought one of those swivel roof vents, the one that is made of aluminum and swivles really easy. I just installed recently and last weekend was the first test. I dry camped for six (6) days and then drove 250 miles, not one hint of gray smell. Hope this has cured my problem. You might want to consider doing the same by installing one. It's the vent on the left side of the coach just ahead of the shower sky light.

I think if you did this and used the suggestions from Steve S and Kayerivercity your problems should go away hopefully!

Take care,
D&D Rich
Great Salt Lake Route
Old 07-24-2005, 03:59 PM   #7

Five days after leaving the factory in Dec we started experiencing odors especialy while driving. Factory suggested running a rod down the two vent pipes; caulking around the vent pipe where it passes thru the bell housing; and cutting a "V" in the back of the vent pipe (increases a venturi affect.) NO help! A trip to La Mesa RV in Tampa, no improvement!
While enjoying a failure of my Hydro-hot I was able to climb over it and peer into the small area over the top of the black tank, where the shower drain enters its "P- trap" and then into the grey tank vent line. The compression ring had let go (the drain pipe is about 1 1/2 " too short so the trap had seperated allowing shower water to partially spill onto the tank tops; phew!!! Will have permenent (?) repair and hopefully steam cleaning done 1 Aug.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:09 PM   #8

I had a similar problem a few years back. This link maybe of help to you.
Sewer smell

There are many products out there to mask the problem, I think it is best to find the source and deal with it from that angle.

Danny

2000 Alpine Millennium Edition
Danny Gayhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 12:39 AM   #9

On my 05 all 3 sinks have a vacuum break on them, I capped them off and have had no gray water odor since.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 08:00 AM   #10

Where are the "vacuum" breaks and how did you cap them off?
Old 07-27-2005, 08:16 AM   #11

The P traps have a tee on them the vacuum brake is located on a short section of 1.5 PCV, just screws off. Go to the hardware store and buy a threaded plug for about 59 cents. So far I have seen no negative effects and have no gray tank odors.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 01:11 PM   #12

We have rig that is plumbed for a washer/drier. There are cabinets installed in that space. Sewer gas was coming up through the drain pipe for the washer/drier because there is no water in the p-trap. Plugging the drain pipe solved the problem - which went undescovered until I decided to leave the grey water dump valve open and connected to the the dump station at our full hookup site.
BTW, the drain pipe, aka standpipe, was encased in the cabinet. It seems there is a race between getting all the bugs worked out and the rv wearing out. :-)
Old 11-26-2005, 07:27 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
We have gray water odor and I know (at least one of) the cause(s): the flex line between the vacuum break fitting and the tank fitting (by the shower). The existing line is very flexible, like swimming-pool-vacuum hose but a little larger diameter; however, it's cracked. I got a replacement from Alpine, but it's a much sturdier and therefore stiffer hose. I've been delaying installing it for fear that it will not flex enough in cold weather and will snap off the ABS fittings at one end or the other. But somehow, before Quartzsite, I'll have to do something.
F&D ABQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 10:30 AM   #14

F&D- You might try taking a piece of wire, bending it to the OEM line form, then put the new hose in the oven at 225 for 20 minutes (or use a heat gun or blow drier) to soften the hose. Bend to match the wire & refrigerate; see if it takes the new shape in a permanent set. I did that w/new 1/2" pex tube installing the Vagabond RO system thru some tight places needing short bends; worked great, min. stress on fittings.
You could also wrap the old hose in Xtreme Tape for a temp fix (self-vulcanizing, seals to itself, supposedly even holds a small amount of pressure); I keep some handy for situations like you describe.