Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-05-2005, 06:49 PM   #1

This is a continuation from our thread First look at 2006 today where we listed lots of new 2006 features and some of the issues that came up with our initial pickup of the 2006.

We're still debugging the coach (no surprise).

This morning when I woke up I realized that I'd forgotten to check the chassis batteries for a few days. We've been parked at one spot for 4 nights now. Put the switch in the ignition, turned to on to read battery voltage displayed on the dash, and indicators just blinked and flashed. Problem! Measured chassis batteries with voltmeter read 9 volts. Yikes!

Our chassis batteries have not been getting charged. In addition, something is draining the chassis batteries.

Talking to WRV while probing around the battery circuitry John was able to track down the problem. It looks like the solenoid that connects the chassis batteries to the house batteries when low voltage is detected is not closing the circuit. This explains the no charging. Don't know what the drain might be yet.

We used the chassis battery disconnect switch and got a battery charger to take care of the chassis batteries until we can get it serviced.

I should have been alerted to this problem earlier. I noticed a couple of times in starting the coach that the battery readout under the odometer said 11.9V or around that after a night or two of camping. Since it was so close to 12V it just didn't register that the voltage was low or at least not fully charged. It should have been reading around 13.5V or so indicating full charge. Just want to point out what fully charged means in the 12V world.

Audrey

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2005, 06:49 PM   #2

This is a continuation from our thread First look at 2006 today where we listed lots of new 2006 features and some of the issues that came up with our initial pickup of the 2006.

We're still debugging the coach (no surprise).

This morning when I woke up I realized that I'd forgotten to check the chassis batteries for a few days. We've been parked at one spot for 4 nights now. Put the switch in the ignition, turned to on to read battery voltage displayed on the dash, and indicators just blinked and flashed. Problem! Measured chassis batteries with voltmeter read 9 volts. Yikes!

Our chassis batteries have not been getting charged. In addition, something is draining the chassis batteries.

Talking to WRV while probing around the battery circuitry John was able to track down the problem. It looks like the solenoid that connects the chassis batteries to the house batteries when low voltage is detected is not closing the circuit. This explains the no charging. Don't know what the drain might be yet.

We used the chassis battery disconnect switch and got a battery charger to take care of the chassis batteries until we can get it serviced.

I should have been alerted to this problem earlier. I noticed a couple of times in starting the coach that the battery readout under the odometer said 11.9V or around that after a night or two of camping. Since it was so close to 12V it just didn't register that the voltage was low or at least not fully charged. It should have been reading around 13.5V or so indicating full charge. Just want to point out what fully charged means in the 12V world.

Audrey

Old 05-08-2005, 07:25 AM   #3

Played a Norah Jones CD on our living room surround sound system last night - WOW! Very pleasurable experience.

Another pleasant surprise - after about 2 hours driving at highway speeds we pulled into a rest area. I went back to the bedroom to feel how hot the bed got, and it was completely cool to the touch!! Somehow I expected the bed and bedroom to get warm because of the engine. But not at all. The ambient temperature that day was low 70s, we didn't run the air conditioners while driving. I guess that engine is very well insulated from the bedroom.

Audrey
Old 05-08-2005, 08:10 AM   #4

Another picture - Shot at the dealers where we camped a couple of nights. In this one we're finally ready to hook up the toad.

Once we get a few more interior photos taken we'll post a link to a web site.

Audrey
Old 05-08-2005, 01:11 PM   #5

Eek! we found a leak in our bedroom slide. It was a rainy morning so we thought we better check for leaks. We felt around bottom of slides and sure enough carpet was wet on the rear inside of the bedroom slide. The wall carpet under the closet is velcroed on, so we were able to pull that up (it was pretty wet too) and see underneath. We can see some light through the slide seal under there and it looks likely that rain was blown in through that hole.

We've dried it up pretty well with towels and a hair drier. Another thing to get fixed....

No other wet spots found on the inside of the coach yet.

Audrey
Old 05-09-2005, 04:21 AM   #6

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort http://www.twospringsrv.com/
Audrey,

Check the slide gaskets from the outside and see if they are flipped out. Our bedroom vanity slide leaked PUDDLES and this was the problem. WRV finally installed some small plastic blocks on the end wall of the slide that contact the gasket and flip it out when extending the slide.

Basil
Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 04:59 AM   #7

Hi Basil:

Well we'll check that. I think we found the problem. Another storm came through last night so John put some electrical tape where we saw the gap plus over a tear in one of the seals. No water came in last night. So it looks like we found where the water came in.

Audrey
Old 05-09-2005, 05:04 AM   #8

Problem with slide awnings not draining:

Our coach levels perfectly. An egg cracked in a pan on the stove stays perfectly centered. In fact the coach is TOO level. The slide awnings are catching a huge amount of water - they don't drain. John had to get up on the roof to brush the water off and estimates there was at least two gallons caught in the kitchen slide awning.

Audrey
Old 05-09-2005, 06:00 PM   #9

I remember your unit. My part went smooth and easy.

Out of the new colors I like that one the best along with the black/red

WRVACEMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 07:40 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
WRVACEMP,
Welcome to irv2 I'am sure the Alpiners will be looking for more help from you.
Just protect your job there are alot of do it yourselfs here. ---"007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 05:55 AM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WRVACEMP:

Out of the new colors I like that one the best along with the black/red </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi WRVACEMP! That's neat that you remember our unit. We are 75529. Glad your part went smoothly . We're very happy with our colors because we were definitely going for a color scheme that would blend in with the natural settings we prefer to camp in, but I'd love to see the other color schemes. The black and red one sounds dramatic. One of these months the www.wrv.com site will be updated with the 2006 models - I've been waiting!

Here is our coach in the woods demonstrating that the color scheme is not too bad for blending into a natural setting. This is at Lake Whitney State Park, about an hour south of Fort Worth TX.

Audrey
Old 05-11-2005, 06:26 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

That is a great color choice. It blends in nicely in the woods but on your previous shot in the dealers lot it also fits well with manmade surroundings. It's a nice mix.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 06:16 PM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Audrey & John:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WRVACEMP:

Out of the new colors I like that one the best along with the black/red </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi WRVACEMP! That's neat that you remember our unit. We are 75529. Glad your part went smoothly . We're very happy with our colors because we were definitely going for a color scheme that would blend in with the natural settings we prefer to camp in, but I'd love to see the other color schemes. The black and red one sounds dramatic. One of these months the www.wrv.com site will be updated with the 2006 models - I've been waiting!

Here is our coach in the woods demonstrating that the color scheme is not too bad for blending into a natural setting. This is at Lake Whitney State Park, about an hour south of Fort Worth TX.

Audrey </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I remember your unit because i seen the color on the slideout when they were installing it and thought it was an intresting color. So I took a look at the build sheet seen it was going to TX ,the order was put in on 1-26 and delivery was set for 4-13 and noticed the last name on the order and thought "isn't that the people from the RV site?"

Yea the red and black design is "loud" to say the least but it is tasteful and looks good.

Im not too fond of the two tone black or the carmel color scheme that is out on the '06's

WRVACEMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 06:23 AM   #14

I have a question. My wife and I went to look at the Alpine Coach. Nice rig the ONLY issue that caught my eye first off was the rivets along the top and bottom of the basement doors, Why?
It doesn't help with the smooth lines