Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:24 PM   #1
Alpine Owners Club
Sharp Aquos 32" TV

2005 Alpine Coach 36 MDDS with Sharp Aquos 32 " TV and Kenwood Home Theater
I would like to drop Direct TV and put in a digital/analog box as at the location where I usually spend the winters I can get 59 over the air channels. After taking everything apart I have discovered there are no lead-in on the back of the TV for Coaxial cable as would be required to attach a digital/analog box.
(I was able to do this with the RCA 20" TV in the bedroom).
Am I overlooking something and would be able to hitch up a digital/analog box or if I get a new TV (have looked at the Samsun 32") which would eliminate the need for the box, would I be able to hook up the Kenwood Home Theater

Capt Bravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2013, 07:22 PM   #2
Alpine Owners Club
I'm not familiar with the Kenwood Home Theater system but would expect that it provides RCA type connections for a TV or general audio source. And, most TV's (even HD) provide an external audio connection which also utilizes the same RCA type connections. One way or another you need to know what the Kenwood system requires for audio input sources to interconnect whatever TV to the sound system.

Bob Bowers (Surprise, AZ)
2003 Alpine Coach 40' FDTS
2014 Jeep Cherokee Lattitude
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:49 AM   #3
The box behind the TV has 2 coax connectors on top. I have not used them but I found then while rewiring my DirecTV receiver. You can see these with a mirror or refer to the manual and then find them by feel. I assume that you have removed the metal trim under the TV which will allow access to this tuner box. This box also has an audio out with a cable that takes the TV audio to the Kenwood.
2005 38FDTS
2011 Ford Edge
Fredericksburg, TX
Wil Rathke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:05 AM   #4
The coax connections on the TV would provide the lowest quality picture to the TV. Use the best connections both your digital/analog box and the TV have available. You would probably not notice the quality on the 20" TV, but you will on the 32".

In order:

HDMI video and digital audio on one cable
Component video/stereo audio or optical digital audio
S-Video/stereo audio
Composite video/stereo audio

If you use either HDMI or component video you will be able to get over the air in HD if you have the right tuner box. None of the other connections will provide HD.

The government $40 coupon digital conversion boxes were not allowed to have the HD type of connections. HD capable digital conversion boxes are more expensive, but available. Even some DVR's.
Jim A
'04 Alpine Coach 36' MDDS
Jim A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:33 PM   #5
Alpine Owners Club
Thank you Bob, Will and Jim for the information. Using both the Manual and and a mirror I found the two coax in connectors (one for over-the-air A, the 2nd for B. There is a third for "out". I've connected a cable from the analog/digital box to Air A with the TV on TV (the other inputs will not work and defaults to TV) and now have a reasonably clear picture but no sound. The information in the manual departs at this point as there are no speakers on the TV. My next step is to get to the back of the Kenwood system. The manual shows a connection for Audio (apparently from the analog/digital box as the manual only shows from a VCR).
Again thank you for info. I'll let you know of the outcome.

2005 36 Mid-Door
2004 Suzuki Grand Vitari
Old 02-07-2013, 07:48 PM   #6
The Sharp is a monitor and has no speakers. You need to run a cable from the audio out jacks on the tv to a in jack on the amplifier that should give you sound. Use the manual to find the audio out jacks they will be red and white rca type jacks.
Tom and Sue
2005 Alpine FDQS
tinytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:33 PM   #7
Alpine Owners Club
Hi All
The job is done. The two old RCA Direct TV unit were removed, The Analog/Digital box was put in the place of the main unit on the passenger side and tied into the antenna. A signal spliter was attached to the out side of the box. One side was crossed over behind the TV to the coax leading to the TV in the bedroom, the second was connected to the Ant A port on the top of the AVC box behind the TV. The RCA cables taken off the Direct TV box were attached to the analog/digital box. The TV works on the TV Input, channel 3 ; the Kenwood works on Video1. The TV input provides only mono audio on the right speaker. I am pleased with the quality of the picture on all channels on both TVs. No change was made to the DVD/CD out put on the Kenwood.
Thank you for the valuable information that you have passed on.
Capt Bravo
2005 36MDDS