Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2011, 09:02 AM   #1

Sharp Microwave

Returning home our Sharp R 1870 microwave/convection oven stopped working. It only runs for 59 seconds and shuts off and you have to press start again and it continues to run for another 59 seconds (again and again). The unit heats but my better half refuses to stand there and keep pushing start until the food is cooked - don't know why. The micro is in our 2005 34' Alpine. Any help would be appreciated. - Tom
TomJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2011, 12:27 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
We had same problem. Needed "motor" that moves baffel from microwave to conevection replaced by microwave service shop. Each time AC is turned on this "motor" activates; so it wears out. It is the noise (hum) heard when Sharp is plugged in. After $$$ for repair we keep unit unplugged until we use it.
zinom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:36 PM   #3

Very common problem, see here for in depth discussion:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/shar...val-63669.html
radams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 02:03 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Try replacing it with the GE Advantium model if the repair costs are close to the purchase price to the GE. First it is truely an oven, also is a microwave, and a convection as well, so that means it has three ways to cook food. We are very pleased with it and it has worked great for us. Now the dishwasher is a waste of space, but it's great place to store stuff.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:27 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Tom,

I had the same problem. The cost of my repair was $53.16 for a damper motor, (Motor 22.06 + tax and labor 30.00). The oven comes out easily but requires two people because it weights 70#. There are two anchor screws on the bottom of the oven that angle into the mounting holes in the wall. The unit then can be tilted from the top then lifted from the back edge lip. The removal and reinstall is the hard part due to the location.

The Sharp manual may help in finding a Sharp repair facility.
John Neff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:58 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Here is the replacement part you need:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Whirlpool Velos Microwave Hood.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	15498  
Old 11-08-2011, 11:33 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Had the same problem. Repair is as stated above. Keep in mind it is very heavy and requires two people to remove and reinstall it.

On my Monaco it also had, in addition to the two angle bolts, two bolts that came in throught the top. I had to remove stapled (about 13 staples) in shelving from the cabinet overtop the microwave to remove it.

Mine was about $115 total including the guy coming to my coach, removing it and taking to his shop for repair then reinstalling it.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:50 PM   #8

Takepride,

Nice self portrait. (Good looking new microwave too.)
Old 11-20-2011, 03:47 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Tom, we had the same problem in our 2005 34' so I bought the parts mentioned above....the day after I ordered the parts(searspartsdirect.com) it started working correctly and it hasent failed in 3 months....I do have the parts now, and I do plan on putting the new parts in, but not till I am caught up with everything else. Our microwave is in great shape, so we didnt feel the need to replace the whole thing. Good Luck, Mike.
Mike and Amy is offline   Reply With Quote