Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:36 PM   #1
shifting in a 2005

I have had a hard upshifting situation since Allison did an update to my transmission at Hilton Head back in the spring of 08. They told me it would shift hard but it would settle down after I drove for several hundred miles or so. That was app. 4000 miles ago and the situation is as bad if not worse. I have had it back to Allison people in New Jersey (Johnson & Towers) and they did whatever but in my opinion to no avail. We came back from a short trip in June 09, about 500 miles and the longer I drove it the harder it shifted especially needing more power and downsifting to a lower gear. Is going back for service next week but I wondered if any of you have experienced any of this. They keep telling me to keep driving it and the warranty is going to run out and they are going to ask me "who told you to drive it".

Ted & Carol Ulmer
2005 Alpine 34', 34FDDS
2006 PT Turbo pusher
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2009, 04:26 PM   #2
Congrats on your 1000th post Ted!

I didn't even know there was Allison software update. My 04 is a little hard on 1 to 2, and smooth shifting from there. Downshifts are pretty smooth.

Just curious, what did Allison say about the purpose of the update?

2004 Alpine 34 FDDS
Anaheim Hills, CA
Jim&MaryJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:30 PM   #3
Alpine transmission

Jim & Mary Jo, thanks for the congrats, I honestly did not even realize it.

Allison actually found me through ACE when we all were at Hilton Head. They indicated there was some form of an update and there were a few coaches that they had not caught up with. Mine being one of them. Believe it or not they told me it would shift much smoother. It was perfect before they touched it and when it goes back in I am going to ask if they can put it back where it was before the update.
Ted & Carol Ulmer
2005 Alpine 34', 34FDDS
2006 PT Turbo pusher
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote