Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2007, 03:46 PM   #1

The 2002 alpine 36 I just bought has brocken shocks in the rear and the front are wore out. The coach has 32000 mile on it. Are there upgraded shocks I can install? Thanks for the help. rjv1210
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2007, 03:46 PM   #2

The 2002 alpine 36 I just bought has brocken shocks in the rear and the front are wore out. The coach has 32000 mile on it. Are there upgraded shocks I can install? Thanks for the help. rjv1210
Old 06-17-2007, 04:57 PM   #3

Seems to me that the shocks are gaurenteed for life. I read that somewhere.
Old 06-17-2007, 06:19 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
OE shocks are not guaranteed for life. I replaced our fronts with Koni's. Now they have the FSD shock available.

http://www.konirv.com/cgi-bin/search.pl/mhcat?ap_list

Koni's up front really improved our ride.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:19 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Hello & Welcome RJV1210:

I would like to welcome you to the Form and to the world of Alpine. As for Bilstien shocks I found out something at the 4 Wheel Drive Wholesalers Truck Fest last weekend in Ontario CA. I was talking to the Bilstien representative and he said that OEM Bilstien Shocks are not life time warranty, but if you send them your old shock they will re-valve your shock to OEM specs or they will increase or decrease the valving to your specs for $65.00 per shock and they will return them to you with a Life Time Warranty. He said that there is a week or two turn around time. I hope this information is useful to everyone.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 07:07 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
I felt the original Bilstien on the front axle were to soft on large bumps. So last year I changed to the Koni adjustable shocks. We took a trip to Alaska and the change was much better.

The shocks are adjustable from 0 to 2 1/2 turns. I found 1 turn too harsh and 1/2 turn just right. Now as the shocks wear with time,I can readjust them.
Gary Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 06:43 AM   #7

Gary do you have the Koni adjustable shock part number? Called Koni and they only offered me the FSD. I like the idea of adjusting the shocks as it will give me the ride of my choice and not the factories. Living here in Alaska and having road conditions (frost heaves etc) that are different than the lower 48 does require some adjustments.

Do you know if the 2002 will also fit the 2003 Alpine 38' front axle.

Thanks for any info. Iron Mike the other guy.
iron mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 03:21 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Mike - All Koni shocks are adjustable. Just this year they introduced the FDS (Frequency Selective Damping) for the Alpine. This is an even better improvement. What it does is provide a very small amount of dampening for things like expansion joints. Then when the bumps are more severe like the frost heaves the dampening is firmer. The FDS was introduced last year for the Foretravel and other high end coaches with a promise to upgrade all RV shocks in the future.

My shocks do not have the FDS and work great. I am sure the new FDS are even better!

There web site had a good explanation of the FSD and appears to not be working.

They are made in the Netherlands.
Gary Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 05:37 PM   #9

Tom:

I stand corrected. The Bilstein shock is NOT guarenteed for life on original Equipment. It is however guarenteed for the life of the vehicle when we replace the OEM installation with their aftermarket shock.. Sort of crazy since it seems they are the same shocks.
Old 06-24-2007, 01:02 AM   #10

Actually Stretch, not so crazy. Just "Cost effective".

OEM customers often get price-breaks on what they buy because they are a "Volume user".
Quite often the guarantee that goes with them is good for a more limited time than if the product is purchased privately at a higher price.

Standard business practice for many manufacturers.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote