Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:54 PM   #1

Shocks

I know---this subject has been discussed before. Motorhome Alpine 36' MDS 01. Our alpine has always porpoised and done the side straddle wallow. But now sometimes it seems "off to the wild blue yonder" pretty bad. Hiway joints don't bother other than a lot of thump thump. Opions greatly appreciated about whether Koni or Roadking, or replace with Bilstein. If you don't mind approximate price on Kone and Roadking. For front shocks only.

Doug

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2012, 10:25 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
2 owners ago the shocks on our rig were replaced with Konis. If you search this forum for posts by rmmpe from '08-09 you might find the part numbers/price. The coach has an unbelievable ride, I highly recommend them. DW and I haven't been able to take long trips together for over 9 years due to a back injury she suffered, earlier this summer we took a trip that was 8 hours one way, she arrived feeling great.

If you can't find what you need in the posts PM me and I'll dig through the paperwork I have out in the coach.

'05 Lance 845/'06 F-250 or '99 Alpine 36SDS Usually towing an '01 Wrangler locked on 35"s or moderate '98 Cherokee on 33"s (rear locker only)
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:50 PM   #3

http://www.shox.com/appguide/shoxsho...ctsdisplay.php
$636.00 for all 4.
If your fronts are worn, I would guess the rears are in bad shape as well.
You have a great motor home, invest a little and see what you get for your money.
jmo
Mule Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:22 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Just my personal opinion, but when I changed shocks I went with Road Kings because they are Gas Shocks. Konis are good shocks but they are older technology and only use hydraulic oil for dampening. The Road Kings are twice the price and are rebuildable and the valveing can be changed to suit your taste in ride, where the Konis can not. They both have a life time warranties so it is up to you on what you choose .
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:27 AM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Fernandez View Post
Just my personal opinion, but when I changed shocks I went with Road Kings because they are Gas Shocks. Konis are good shocks but they are older technology and only use hydraulic oil for dampening. The Road Kings are twice the price and are rebuildable and the valveing can be changed to suit your taste in ride, where the Konis can not. They both have a life time warranties so it is up to you on what you choose .
But if the "older technology" works then why pay the extra?
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:49 PM   #6

I would go with Konis. I went with Bilsteins and wish I had bought Konis. I just bounce down the road. California's roads are the pits.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:04 PM   #7

I have put on 2800 miles on my coach since I bought it in April and it has the original Bilsteins on. It has an appointment the 24th of this month to have a set of Konis put on and then it is off to the Oregon coast. I hope that I will be able to enjoy a better ride than what I have been use to. It handles well as it is for having 35000 miles but it can get a little bouncy at times.
2003 34FDDS Alpine Banks 430hp #74869
Viola, Idaho 3rd Armored Cav & 3rd Infantry Division
tiredvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:45 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
When I check with Bilstien regarding the Peak Chassis to replace my shocks, I was advised that WRV never had a shock designed for the Peak Chassis and that WRV just found shocks that would fit. The Bilstienís on the Peak Chassis were designed for a Fleetwood Coach so weight and valveing was not considered when WRV installed Bilstienís on the Peak Chassis.

The difference from old to new technology is a big difference. A Hydraulic shock will start cavitation when the shocks get hot from movement from driving down a rough road. Once the cavitationsí starts small air bubbles form in the oil and the oil becomes unstable and will pass through the valveing with out slowing down the rebound or compression of the vehicle. If the installer of a hydraulic shock does not burp the shocks prior to installation you have air trapped at the top of the shock and you will fell a poor ride. Air can be introduced into the shock by laying them on there side or turning them upside down. (This can happen during shipping or while on the shelf)

The newer technology of Gas shocks were designed with a floating piston with oil on one side and gas on the other side. Because the gas will expand as it get heats up the gas piston will compress the oil preventing cavitation and the shocks will continue to work even when hot. Gas shocks can be installed upside down and still work properly because the gas/piston prevents sir from being introduced into the oil.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:48 PM   #9

Just put a set of Konis on today and I must say that I am very pleased with the ride and handling of the coach. I wish I could spend half as much time enjoying this rig as I do working out the kinks. I know that I'd have more money in my wallet. Oh well, a man has to have a hobby in his life.
2003 34FDDS Alpine Banks 430hp #74869
Viola, Idaho 3rd Armored Cav & 3rd Infantry Division
tiredvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:02 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I know the Koni's made a world of difference on my Southwind, I'm glad to hear that they worked for you!

Regards,
RovinOn
RovinOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:42 PM   #11

We had objectionable porpoising on our 2006 36í FDTS with the WRV original equipment Bilsteins. The change was made to Konis and we thought the ride had had improved for the next 20,000 miles, then the porpoising began again. The coach is more than 3,000 pounds under maximum gross weight and is balanced fairly well side to side, and front to rear. Last year I switched to Road Kings and the porpoising has disappeared. The handling is now much better with less side-to-side sway and crosswind situations are improved as well. I believe the famed Alpine Coach ride has finally been attained. I would never consider going back to Bilsteins or Konis. Yes, the Road Kings do cost more, but for us this has been money well spent.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:27 AM   #12

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Birddog pilot took your advice right away and got road kings wright away there great the ones that came with my coach were way to small bilsteins 40ft 05 33000 pound wrv limited alpine the road kings are are about 1.50lbs heavier just wanted to throw that out there.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:19 PM   #13

highsticker,

I think you will be extremely pleased with your new Road Kings. I too took to heart all the excellent Road King reviews here on our Forum; and after nearly a year, and about 8,000 miles, I couldn't be happier with the improved ride and handling qualities compared with both the Bilsteins and Konis.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:32 AM   #14

Regarding the shocks on DaveShan's Alpine, the Bilstein shocks were replaced by the following:
Front shocks are Koni FSD #8805-1021 (replaced on 4/21/08)
Rear shocks are Koni FSD #8805-1022 (replaced on 5/5/08)
The ride and handling were dramatically improved.

rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shocks