Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2018, 06:40 PM   #15

I had to change out the WRV OEM Bilsteins after about 10,000 miles, switched to Konis (version that preceded the 99 Series) they lasted about the same number of miles. Installed Road Kings and they are fantastic, they have 47,000 and going strong, great ride and handling - will never put any other shocks on this Alpine.
Birddog Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2018, 09:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddog Pilot View Post
I had to change out the WRV OEM Bilsteins after about 10,000 miles, switched to Konis (version that preceded the 99 Series) they lasted about the same number of miles. Installed Road Kings and they are fantastic, they have 47,000 and going strong, great ride and handling - will never put any other shocks on this Alpine.

Thanks Dick,

I'm convinced now that the Koni 88's were shot 2 years and 10K miles ago when we bought the coach. The 99's are bigger but there are too many people mentioning 2-3 bounces after a bump which is worse than what I've experienced with shot 88's.

Bob
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 07:44 AM   #17

Alpine Owners Club
Road king

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddog Pilot View Post
How do you know which road king shock to get?
CityElectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 10:56 AM   #18

Their website has a 2 page work sheet to take measurements. I believe they custom build to order, but have made enough for Alpines that they may already have the formula. I’m waiting until next spring so I haven’t gone beyond printing out the work sheet. Taking measurements next week.

Possibly just a phone call to them is all that’s necessary.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:47 PM   #19

I talked to them today. They need both VIN and bolt-to-bolt measurements (in ride position). For my coach, $405 per shock (or $385 if ordered by end of year). They do hand build and current lead time is 8 weeks.

I also talked to one of their local Dallas reps who was quite negative on the product. They have had issues with leaking seals that Road King claimed was related to a change in oil in the shock. They reverted to the original oil and have made improvements to the shock.

2 year warranty for coach shocks.
texoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 07:40 AM   #20

I recently replaced my shocks. I did some research in hopes that I could make a good decision. I learned that the Bilstein shocks that came on my Alpine generally give up after 15,000 miles. When I pulled mine off at 18,000 miles, 2 of them were bad. I don't think the Koni 88s are any better. The Koni 99s have gotten good reviews so I went with a set of those on the front. I considered the Road Kings, but the cost, the lead time needed to get a set of Road Kings, and the bad reviews pushed me away from spending that money.

Here is a sample Road King Review:

I read all the positive and negatives on them and said I’ll try them. Got all 6 on a Pete for 2100.00. They worked great for a month, then one started leaking, then another. The warranty is free replacement for 12 months then you pay 200 a shock after that.
We’ll all said and done I changed my shocks 12 times in one year and broke a top shock perch on the drives by changing them so many times. Need I say any more?
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:06 AM   #21

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy29847 View Post
I recently replaced my shocks. I did some research in hopes that I could make a good decision. I learned that the Bilstein shocks that came on my Alpine generally give up after 15,000 miles. When I pulled mine off at 18,000 miles, 2 of them were bad. I don't think the Koni 88s are any better. The Koni 99s have gotten good reviews so I went with a set of those on the front. I considered the Road Kings, but the cost, the lead time needed to get a set of Road Kings, and the bad reviews pushed me away from spending that money.

Here is a sample Road King Review:

I read all the positive and negatives on them and said I’ll try them. Got all 6 on a Pete for 2100.00. They worked great for a month, then one started leaking, then another. The warranty is free replacement for 12 months then you pay 200 a shock after that.
We’ll all said and done I changed my shocks 12 times in one year and broke a top shock perch on the drives by changing them so many times. Need I say any more?
At $200 a piece for replacement after 12 months you mind as well just buy the Koni 99's and replace them every 2 years......sounds cheaper in the long run!

Doesn't sound like much of a lifetime warranty when you have to pay the cost of a comparable new shock to service every couple of years
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 10:18 AM   #22

I have not talked to an Alpine Coach owner yet with Road Kings who is not happy with the shocks. Mine feel the same now as they did when I bought them years ago, unlike the Koni 88's I had before that needed to be replaced every couple of years. (I bought the Road Kings before Koni came out with the 99's.)

I would buy them again if I had to for some reason. Twice the price I paid for Koni 88's, but already more than twice the life. One less thing to worry about.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:53 AM   #23

Not sure it is reasonable to base 99 series longevity with that of the much smaller 88 series.

For the 99 series to achieve the same dampening forces, they are LOAFING compared with the 88 series.

So, suggest basing 99 series decisions only on those with experience (or failures) on the 99 series.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:10 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Not sure it is reasonable to base 99 series longevity with that of the much smaller 88 series.

For the 99 series to achieve the same dampening forces, they are LOAFING compared with the 88 series.

So, suggest basing 99 series decisions only on those with experience (or failures) on the 99 series.
I was not doing that at all. I said it was based on my experiences with the 88's, and that I bought the Road Kings before the 99's came out. I just wanted to contradict the negative review on the Road Kings in an earlier post.

Buy what you want.
Old 12-13-2018, 02:11 PM   #25

I am in total agreement with you Jim. It sounds like we both went through the same drill with the other shocks.
To answer the question of how to order from Road King, I just called them and said they going on a 2006 Alpine; they gave me the part numbers. Keep in mind, this was back in July of 2011, numbers and prices will no doubt very.

This is what appears on my invoice:
# 5-A Front "RoadKing Shocks 3/4" X 3.4" spacers, $350.00 each
# 4-A Rears "RoadKing Shocks 3/4" X 3.4" spacers, $350.00 each

I think I remember from this 'Forum,' it might have been Dave Fernandez, that he may not have been completely satisfied with the ride and had RoadKing tweak the shocks to give the desired ride.
I was of the opinion, at least back in 2011, that RoadKings had a lifetime warranty - whatever that is supposed to mean these days.
Birddog Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 11:27 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post

Unfortunately, I have yet to hear from anyone with the 99’s that has put 20K miles on them, so their longevity remains a question mark. I’ve asked for feedback on this thread and started a new thread on the Class A forum. Not that long ago the 88’s were the cats pajamas for this application and they’ve proven to fail as quickly as the Bilsteins. I get the bigger is better concept. To me it is only theoretical at this point without data to back up the claim. The Entegra Owners thread mentioned earlier has provided the most insight into the ride qualities of the 99’s. The “floaty” feel and multiple rebounds after a bump, do not meet the ride qualities I’m seeking.

The Koni warranty only applies to the original buyer and it does not cover labor. So there will be time, inconvenience and cost involved in having a less expensive shock replaced at regular intervals. Maybe the 99’s will last longer, maybe the RK’s will leak. Who knows? Based on what I’ve read from other owners expierence with both, is that I’ll be riding on RK’s next spring.
Old 12-14-2018, 06:35 PM   #27

I don't know about everyone else, but, I like the Koni 99's. I have 20k on the shocks after installation. 99's front and 88's rear are providing a reasonable ride for a 32K vehicle. No leaks or fade! Old Bilstein's were like driving on the ocean.
Needless to say I find Koni 99's acceptable!
Red1inCalif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 10:07 PM   #28

I was just thinking I have owned Alpine Coaches for 20 years now. I had a 36 foot for 10 years and the 40 ft Apex for 10 years this month. I don't think a one size fits all when it comes to heavier coach like 40 footer. Koni might be ok for a 36 footer, but in my experience they weren't any better than Bilstein on a 40 footer, probably worse for me. Road Kings made mine the best handling Alpine I have owned.
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shocks