Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-30-2007, 02:54 PM   #15

2000 Alpine M36 purchased used in 2004. Only the rear end of the coach has always been very stiff like no springs when crossing a small dip. It is like the rear axel is bolted directly to the chassis and goes thud. If crossing at an angle to the dip the rear of the coach makes a violent motion side to side throwing all sort stuff flying across the room. Rolls one right out of the bed! When building up air both the front and rear of the chassis rise. This is our first Diesel Pusher. Is this normal?

Cummins 330
Have Alpine will travel. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2007, 08:26 PM   #16

Alpine Owners Club
HAWT,

We have the rocking side to side in the rear, and have the original Bilstiens in the rear too. I was waiting for the FSD Koni's before replacing them. I'll bet the Koni's will stop the side to side motion.

We replaced the front shocks about a year ago. There was a particular spot on Hyw 41 going to the coast that if I forgot about it.... I believe the front tires left the ground . We put the Koni's on and could not believe the difference.

I vote for Koni's too!!

Old 08-31-2007, 03:30 AM   #17

WOW! Interesting discussion. I always thought that Bilsteins were pretty much as good as it gets. Will have to get a set of Konis soon. Anyone care to share the website to get the Konis online??
Have dealt with Henderson's in Grants Pass and Kaiser in Eugene. Both excellent folks to deal with in my opinion if you're passing through Oregon. I believe they really care about their service.
Thanks
Old 08-31-2007, 06:12 AM   #18

Alpine Owners Club
Tom and Patty,

I wouldn't expect the Koni shocks to stop the harsh side to side swinging when crossing a bump or dip at an angle. If you look at the rear suspension you will see that design allows for next to no separate motion on one end of the axle, like having a very strong sway bar. If you have ever leveled with the coach on a side to side angle you will notice that the tires on the low side will lift off of the ground, and stay real close to the same distance from the body as the other side. This helps the handling a lot going down the road and around corners. When you go over a speed bump in a parking lot at an angle the first set of tires that hit it cause the coach to lift on that side. Before the coach has a chance to settle down the second set of tires hits on the other side and lifts the other side. Better shocks will help stop any oscillation after the initial roll but might make the initial roll worse. If you are moving at any speed it will throw things out of the cabinets. The trick is to try and always go over speed bumps straight and when going over dips and driveways at an angle, take the back axle over it slow.

I hope I have explained this so that it is understandable.

Dale
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 06:46 AM   #19

Alpine Owners Club
Here it is. They usually have an ad in the FMCA magazine for free shipping. It is a code you have to add to your order. http://www.konirv.com/index.html
Old 09-01-2007, 05:57 PM   #20

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dgerstel:
Tom and Patty,

I wouldn't expect the Koni shocks to stop the harsh side to side swinging

I hope I have explained this so that it is understandable.

Dale </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks dgerstel
Very understandable. Trade off for the great drivable with having to slow down for the road bumps is a fair trade. Thanks again for letting me know that I am not the only one with violent side to side motion

Cummins 330
Have Alpine will travel. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 07:39 PM   #21

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dshogman:
WOW! Interesting discussion. I always thought that Bilsteins were pretty much as good as it gets. Will have to get a set of Konis soon. Anyone care to share the website to get the Konis online??
Have dealt with Henderson's in Grants Pass and Kaiser in Eugene. Both excellent folks to deal with in my opinion if you're passing through Oregon. I believe they really care about their service.
Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://www.ltbmotorsports.com/konifsd1.html
$135.72 each free shipping
3/4" mounting bolts (1 1/16" socket) so large impact will be needed if you are DIY
Old 09-03-2007, 08:59 AM   #22

You can also call Anderson & Stiehle, who is running an ad on p.153 of the Sept. FMCA mag as "www.shox.com" and get the FSD's for $119 (plus tax if you are lucky enough to be a Californian) and free shipping. $515 out the door for all 4 corners for CA, or $476 for the unlucky ones.