Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2007, 08:58 AM   #1

Has any one tried Ride King or Koni shocks. What difference did you see. Hendersons offers a product called Motion Control has any one put this on and what difference did you see or feel?
Looking 2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2007, 08:58 AM   #2

Has any one tried Ride King or Koni shocks. What difference did you see. Hendersons offers a product called Motion Control has any one put this on and what difference did you see or feel?
Looking 2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 10:04 AM   #3

Jim.....We just put Koni FSD's on our 04 36MDDS and we are extremly happy with the ride. We had 20,000 miles on Coach when we changed out to the new Koni's....just got back from Yosemite 850 mile trip. Coach rides firmer (which I like) takes curves and dips like a sports car. I feel the Koni FSD's are a good compliment to the PEAK chassis. Nothing drives like and Alpine.
Mike & Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 10:34 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Bragg:
Has any one tried Ride King or Koni shocks. What difference did you see. Hendersons offers a product called Motion Control has any one put this on and what difference did you see or feel? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jim, I see you are in Ft.Worth. I am in McKinney and if you are having Ride or suspension problems or need an alignment, I can give you the name and number of the BEST Heavy Duty Suspension shop in the southwest - bar none, located in Dallas.

Glenn Norman (AKA - Mutha_Busser on the Internet)
2501 Rock Hill Road
McKinney, Texas 75070
phone: 972-542-9696
email: mutha_busser AT yahoo DOT com
Old 08-29-2007, 11:06 AM   #5

Mike,

Thanks for the opinion on the new shocks. I have been considering it as well.

I found a website that shows the Koni shocks for an Alpine. The number they show is 8805-1021 for front and 8805-1022 for the rear. Can anybody verify this is the correct shock for an Alpine Coach?

Does anybody think this is a DIY project?
Old 08-29-2007, 11:54 AM   #6

I am also interested in improving the Ride on my Alpine - the Driving is Great, but clunking & bottoming out is rather annoying.
I have an appointment with Henderson's Line Up - Grants Pass, OR Henderson's Line Up
Has anyone used them?

Also wonder if anyone from factory could input on this Air Ride System as compared to stock Peak chassis Air Ride System.
UltraRide Air Suspension System
Rick M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 01:19 PM   #7

Rick- Henderson's has made a good name for itself in handling improvements for high production motorhome chassis types (GM & Workhorse "P" chassis, Ford class C and A, etc.), but I haven't heard anything about full size DP work there. My guess is they are one of the better shops around for alignment & handling concerns, as they make a specialty of it for the lower GVW coaches, but a good deal of their work is w/"bolt-on" replacment parts and aftermarket add-ons for those lower GVW rigs.

IIWM looking for ride improvement, I'd take a look @ HWH's Active Air suspension control system. IIRC most of their installs so far are on Country Coach's "DynaMax" chassis' and are getting rave reviews for the handling. Presumably this replaces the ride height adjustment aparatus on our rig w/fantabulous up-to-the-nanosecond techno-wizardry. This works w/the air-ride fundamentals of DP's, where the UltraRide looks like a replacement system for OEM leaf springs.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:16 PM   #8

Just installed the Koni FSD shocks on the steer axle. BIG improvement! Check the net for $135. price. free shipping
Beagle RC Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 04:04 PM   #9

I put Koni's on my 2001 last year and have put about 8000 miles on since doing so. The handling change was wonderful and improved. With the Bilsteins I had quite a "bounce" when going over deep dips in freeways and such. The amplitude of that oscillation was reduced by a factor of at least two. Also leaning was reduced during turns. Probably better in high winds also. I would make the change.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 04:26 PM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by EngineerMike:
Rick- Henderson's has made a good name for itself in handling improvements for high production motorhome chassis types (GM & Workhorse "P" chassis, Ford class C and A, etc.), but I haven't heard anything about full size DP work there. My guess is they are one of the better shops around for alignment & handling concerns, as they make a specialty of it for the lower GVW coaches, but a good deal of their work is w/"bolt-on" replacment parts and aftermarket add-ons for those lower GVW rigs.

IIWM looking for ride improvement, I'd take a look @ HWH's Active Air suspension control system. IIRC most of their installs so far are on Country Coach's "DynaMax" chassis' and are getting rave reviews for the handling. Presumably this replaces the ride height adjustment aparatus on our rig w/fantabulous up-to-the-nanosecond techno-wizardry. This works w/the air-ride fundamentals of DP's, where the UltraRide looks like a replacement system for OEM leaf springs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Mike
When I was at Henderson's, I saw an Alpine being worked on - so maybe??
The HWH Active Air is exactly what I was looking for = level without jacks and adjust for road/wind and override lopsided loads. This system would make the Newmar Comfort Drive's seem useless - besides I thought they had no steering feeling (feeling the road) when I test drove them. I would worry about sneezing and finding myself in another lane.

Good luck on your 08 = looks fabulous! Hope the factory provides you with a 'bug free' coach!!
Rick M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 06:11 PM   #11

Hi All - while we were at the FMCA rally, Chuck checked into the Koni shocks - actually he was planning to have them installed while we were there but they were out of the rear size. Now that we are home he is going to get them put on by RTS Truck & RV Performance Center in Redlands. The #'s Jim, A. asked about are the same ones Keith gave Chuck at the rally. i.e. 8805-1021 front and 8805-1022 rear.
dj

'03 GMC Envoy toad
Donna & Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 06:16 PM   #12

Hi Donna.....RTS Truck installed our Koni's. Nice clean facility and very helpful. I am sure Chuck will like the improved ride the FSD's give.
Mike & Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 07:21 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
We just returned home from Oregon. We stopped (had an appointment)in Eugene Friday at Kaiser's Front End & Brake Shop - one of the best places in the nation, we have been told by many for front end issues.

The Ride Height had not set correctly when the Apex was built and the front end Caster was out, the Rear Trackage was 3/4" to the left and the Steering Wheel was off center to the left. They only had time to adjust the ride height, set the Caster/Camber and center the Steering Wheel. We have to go back to have the Rear Trackage fixed. Dick Kaiser thought that the braking issues could probably be helped by having different pads and they also recommended the KONI Shocks. Guaranty had just replaced the Bilstein Shocks - which resolved a lot of the porpoising. Eventually, I will put in the Koni!

The DRIVE of the coach is MUCH better - it is not pulling to the right and there is less sway. I also was getting better fuel economy on the way home. The coach is now driving much more like an ALPINE!!!
#75710.
swansnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 09:41 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
I put Koni's on my front end late last year and was very pleasantly surprised by the improved handling and ride. Less roll, less porpoise, less bottoming out. A great improvement over my Bilstiens.

I have a buddy who went from Bilstiens to Monroes new Gas Shock to Koni's in four months. He loves the Koni's and unfortunately spent a lot "testing" out all the other brands beforehand.

Henderson's has always been great to work with. If you have any questions, ask for Gary. He knows everything about everything about suspensions and drivelines. I believe he is at extension 17 when you call their main number.