Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-08-2007, 04:44 PM   #1

Today finally got around to pulling the front wheels off of our MH. About 63,000 miles and the shocks seemed to be kind of sloppy. They turned out to be really bad and I am sure the new Koni's will make a big difference. Paid $135. each with free shipping. The brake pads measured about 5/8" thick and they look like they will be good for a long time. I have concerns about the front brake hydraulic hoses, they look really wimpy and don't seem to be supported very well. I borrowed a Makita 3/4" electric impact wrench and it did the job removing the wheels and shock bolts. The Toyo tires are orginal I believe, they look to have 60% tread remaining. No check, cuts or wear patterns. I am off to Les Schwab's tomorrow to have a nephew who is manager there to confirm my evaluation of the tires. Next, lube the front suspension and steering gear and on to the rear axle next week. Will finish up by measuring the ride height when all this pm is completed.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2007, 04:44 PM   #2

Today finally got around to pulling the front wheels off of our MH. About 63,000 miles and the shocks seemed to be kind of sloppy. They turned out to be really bad and I am sure the new Koni's will make a big difference. Paid $135. each with free shipping. The brake pads measured about 5/8" thick and they look like they will be good for a long time. I have concerns about the front brake hydraulic hoses, they look really wimpy and don't seem to be supported very well. I borrowed a Makita 3/4" electric impact wrench and it did the job removing the wheels and shock bolts. The Toyo tires are orginal I believe, they look to have 60% tread remaining. No check, cuts or wear patterns. I am off to Les Schwab's tomorrow to have a nephew who is manager there to confirm my evaluation of the tires. Next, lube the front suspension and steering gear and on to the rear axle next week. Will finish up by measuring the ride height when all this pm is completed.

Old 08-09-2007, 01:52 AM   #3

Regarding the Brake hoses:
I'd urge caution when thinking about adding support. They must remain flexible throughout the limits of the suspension's travel. Adding support could be a set-up for catastrophic failure.

Regarding the Tires:
Appearance is only part of the story. To get a more precise feel of their suitability for continued use, I suggest you find an inexpensive Durometer having the Shore A scale (your tire dealer may have one). Check the reading of a new tire and compare it against the readings you get from your tires. Especially the sidewalls. Rubber/Synthetic Elastomer is funny stuff and often loses resiliency over time. A tire may look great but have been damaged by prolonged exposure to UV and weather. You may see some difference in the readings you get from the inside and outside sidewalls of a tire. The tread is also important because as rubber ages over time alone, a tire's ability to sustain traction in the wet may be compromised.

A simple example of this is an old pencil eraser, which, as you've probably noticed, has become harder. It doesn't work as well as a new eraser, does it?
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote