Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2008, 05:42 AM   #1

We are considering several Alpine coaches, but we are concerned that the company no longer exists. Will we be able to find parts, and what about body panels,etc?How do you feel that the company being defunct affects the value of used coaches? Thanks, Bosco.
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2008, 05:42 AM   #2

We are considering several Alpine coaches, but we are concerned that the company no longer exists. Will we be able to find parts, and what about body panels,etc?How do you feel that the company being defunct affects the value of used coaches? Thanks, Bosco.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:21 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Bosco,
Saw your question about Alpines on the IRV2 Alpine site. While the loss of WRV does make it a little more difficult, as you may know, most everything in an RV is made by an OEM supplier. As for the body the front and rear clip made out of fiber glass, there are shops everywhere that can repair. If ever in a wreck, keep all the pieces as they will use them to reconstruct. The bays doors the OEM is in Yakima and are available. While several mfgs of RV's have closed, I think the Alpine Coach Association and the IRV2 Alpine site offers the most in support. Our club recently contracted with a former WRV tech to help with questions. I had dealings with him when he worked for the factory.

Your last question, I think the economy is effecting the RV industry more than anything else.

Dan
Old 11-23-2008, 09:50 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
We recently stopped by Guarantee RV in Coburg, OR, on our way home and saw that they have 12 or so Alpines, great selection, all new, additionally have used ones. Check them out on the web for what models are available and what colors, etc.

I don't work for RV industry, but have dealt with them over the years. Randy is my salesman of choice. However, after sales service is deal breaker for me, so make sure the dealer you choose if you go that route, has a good reputation here. Uhlmann RV in Chehalis, WA has one left I think. Many dealers are barely able to stay in business. Lazydays and Beaudry are both in Bankruptcy protection as of now.

Do search here about extended warranties, and look through old posts about electrical issues so you know what you are up against when you purchase.

It helps to like to tinker when owning a MH/RV in general. There are/will be issues with anything you purchase, don't be discouraged things will work out. I like new over used, but that is just me.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 11:29 AM   #5

There is a brand new 2006 40' alpine on e bay
with no reserve
Old 11-23-2008, 07:19 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
No reserve, but a starting bid of $159,300. That would be the effective reserve.
Old 11-24-2008, 05:23 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Lazydays and Beaudry are both in Bankruptcy protection as of now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is incorrect - Lazy Days is not in bankruptcy. However, they did miss an interest payment on their bond debt and now have 30 days to renegotiate a payment schedule with their bond holders, per the terms of the bonds.

I'm not saying they are in sound fiscal condition, but they aren't bankrupt either.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 12:19 PM   #8
MRL

Interesting opinion...Western RV
Old 11-24-2008, 04:19 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
I am always amazed that so many people read what J.D Gallant puts out as 'information'. I have absolutely no respect for the man and is 'organization' - i.e., his wife.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 07:02 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Yes, it was a interest payment, and they are in arrears. Believe I read, they must do something within 30 days, but could be wrong.

Anyway, amid all the manufacturers going out, and dealerships folding, there is going to be a large shakeup in the RV industry, which will take several years to smooth out. Heard Country Coach is making only 3 coaches a week, but that could be a month as well.

If the big three automakers take a dump, we can just about count the RV industry out, because there is a large parts exchange between those cars and our coaches, which would end. 10 million jobs is the last count I heard from them going out of business.

One article I read today, suggested they should merge into one company, and that might be the only way to survive. My guess is, the management (Ford family) and GM/Chrysler could never come to any agreement, and the amount of consolidation would be horrendous. This would not include trying to figure out which lines to dump and which ones to keep.

Things are going to become very messy after the first of the year. This is especially true if the Christmas Seson is as bad as the "experts" say it is going to be. One major retailer could go south, with many smaller shops, who need the christmas season just to survive. Greed put our country where it is now, and only good common sense and patience will put it right. Those folks in Washington, DC don't have a clue. They are spending our grandchildrens and their grandchildrens retirement, and my big questions is; who is going to pay up.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 10:20 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">who is going to pay up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

All of us RV'ers with our ostentatious modes or recreation.

Fueling at a Pilot the other day, a truck driver commented on our Alpine. He asked us if we were millionaires . We couldn't be futher away after the pounding we have taken.

Still I'd buy an Alpine, but you have to be mechanically inclined, at least we do in order for us to afford this lifestyle.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:43 AM   #12

As stated by another, you'd better be (1) wealthy enough to have someone else do all your work or (2) mechanically inclined. I am, by far, more the 2nd than the 1st but enjoy most of what I do to make the Alpine "Ours".

In my mind, if you are seriously considering the purchase of a DP, Alpine is as good candidate as any. All of these beasts are a collection of parts, few of which are made by the Coach/MH manufacturer. Unless you experience a crash, anything you'll need can be had from the OEM manufacturer of the original. Body parts, generally, can be repaired or duplicated by someone.

If I were to buy a DP now, I'd not preclude an Alpine. Their being orphans is more advantageous to a handy buyer than it is a deterrent.

Just go into it with the belief that everything can break will break at the most inconvenient time. Carry spares for the critical field replacable items (fuses, wire, lift pump, belts, filters, hoses, etc.). In a pinch, a Generator can be connected in a manner to overcome a bad alternator and keep you running until you can get service or a replacement.

Caveat: If you aren't wealthy or handy, purchasing a MH/Coach will probably prove to be a poor decison.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 05:34 AM   #13

We live in Grand Junction,CO. which is a hub for truckers. So, there is a very dependable Cummins service center, a Cat. service center, and several centers that specifically work on coaches. We are not handy...but we have enough $ to pay for repairs. Maybe we are wealthy, as we can pay cash for a DP. We are just trying to find the right one. We do not need 40', as there are just two of us, plus 2-3 show dogs, who travel in crates.We would like to find a 36' with two slides. We have a 2003 Born Free to trade, or we can sell it ourselves and pay cash. Bosco
Old 11-25-2008, 01:38 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Bosco,

Our last coach was a 30' Winnebago, while it handled pretty well, it had some problems in the wind. At that time I found out about the importance of wheel base to length ratio. In searching for Our next coach I found that in the under 40' coaches, the Alpine had the BEST ratio. We ended up with a2002 34' Alpine due to getting a great deal. This coach did not have a great ratio, but with some work I got it to handle well. The later 34' Alpines have weight added to the front to cure the problems that I had to fix on ours. I drove a 36' Windsor before we bought our Alpine and found it to handle poor in the wind. I have also talked to an Alpine owner who had a 36' CC and traded it in on an 36' Alpine due to poor handling. If you are buying a coach under 40' make sure to test drive it under windy conditions.

Before we bought this coach, I shopped again, just to make sure that there were no other coaches that we would like better. Obviously, we still like the Alpine better than the others out there.

If you buy an other brand, that the manufacture has gone out of business, check their forum to see what help is available in solving problems and find parts.
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote