Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:39 PM   #1

shoulder harness

Anybody have information regarding adding a shoulder harness strap to an early alpine?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2012, 05:55 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
That question came up at a WRV Rally in Yakima in 2005 that we attended.

Because of the additional force transfer from the shoulder harness in an accident, WRV didn't recommend it without reinforcing the size of the plate under the floor that the seats bolt to.

I think a modification could be possible.

Old 01-01-2013, 03:53 PM   #3

I would like to do the same but wonder how you would add a secure anchor on the wall for the shoulder harness to be attached to. I've also seen somewhere that it may be possible to add an anchor point on the floor. If an anchor can be put in there are no shortages of replacement 3 point seatbelts available. Anyone done this or have any ideas??

Geoff
Old 01-01-2013, 04:44 PM   #4

FWIW on my '08- the floor plate for the seat pedestal bolts down thru coach floor then thru fore-aft plates (2 of them) that run from the front bulkhead ahead of the steering gear to the front wheel well bulkhead, and from the front wheel well bulkhead to the rear wheel well bulkead (all referencing the LFwheel). the two front bolts of the 4 bolt into the forward plate, the rear two bolts into the plate over the tire. Plates are about 12" wide left to right w/about 1/2" turned down lips. You can see the one over the LF tire by looking up at the ceiling of the wheel well.

My rig has a seat w/the shoulder harness built into the seat back. All force has to telegraph thru the base bolts into those plates. Bolt pattern is about 7.5" left-right, by 10.5" fore-aft. Not sure if this is the seat anchorage as pre-2004 coaches, but I know it goes back that far.

One option would be to order a new seat from Flexsteel w/the harness built in.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:20 PM   #5

When I looked in to this Flexsteel did not make a seat with a shoulder harness. Other companies like Superior Seating do make seats with shoulder straps so I wonder if WRV changed suppliers in later coaches. I don't really see a downside even if the floor might give a little in a crash; surely that is better than going through the windshield. A number of other companies attach the shoulder strap to the wall but I assume they have designed a reinforced attachment plate which we do not have on the Alpine. This warning from a seat manufacturer may make you think twice
"We ONLY sell these seats to class A motor homes with prior DOT Test Approvals for Seats with Integrated Shoulder Seat Belts. Installation of these seats in unapproved vehicles can result in your insurance company's denial of coverage if an accident happens. To insure our sales are to installed ONLY in vehicles approved for their use we will require proof of compliance prior to acceptance of your order."
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:22 AM   #6

Hi Mike

Thanks for the reply. I will check for those plates when I get my Alpine back here in Casa Grande. I sent an email to Flexsteel but so far they are too busy to answer my feeble call for help! BTW are you still going down to Mulege? That was one of our favorite spots and the beaches at Conception.

Hi John and Mary

I guess Superior Seating is out as it will be impossible to get WRV to "prove" that the seats a approved. I too feel that the addition of a shoulder harness would be better than going thru the windshield. Do you still have the lapbelts or have you found a way to install a shoulder harness??

Geoff
Old 01-02-2013, 10:59 AM   #7

Still going to Mulege 3 times a year or so. Ann & I run a non-profit scholarship program for the kids of Mulege. We head down in August to buy uniforms, shoes, etc.; Feb or so to check grades & pick up student letters to sponsors; and early May for annual meeting w/school officials, next year's students list & meet w/graduating seniors about college. Have 30 kids in college this year. Its a lot of fun. One group from the beaches sponsors 6 kids in college. Of course we visit w/friends & soak up the Mulege ambiance when in town, and enjoy our drives thru Baja.

My seat has the shoulder point up high on the left (Ann's seat opposite hand), and the lap point down low next to seat; clip toward center of coach. So the belt extends from the shoulder position across both shoulder & lap, not two separate belts. I recall there were SOB rigs that had two separate belts; the Flexsteel units we have are a modern adaptation. Be careful about seat width. Your seat may be narrower, and WRV may have positioned the seat more to the left earlier (don't know, this possibility just occurred to me based on discusion about centering the seat vs steering wheel that came up some time back, don't think there were any early coach owners in the chat). If so, a wider seat might have some issues you'd need to examine. I'll measure my wall-to-seat-centerline later today & post so you can compare.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:26 PM   #8

OK--a little less drama here if you please...no one is "going thru the windshield" for lack of a shoulder harness--that is unless you take your lap belt and seat with you. Now you might end up doing a face-plant into the steering wheel but not a window shot.....
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:02 PM   #9

A little hyperbole doesn't hurt sometimes.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:19 PM   #10

1) Inside of DS wall to centerline of seat pedestal is 21" on my '08
2) I love the smell of hyperbole in the morning.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:05 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Just so you know the other side, the wide seats with the three point belt/harness will cut into the neck of shorter driver/passengers, which can be very uncomfortable. As a result, several go driving down the road with the belt on but the shoulder harness tucked behind them. Be careful what you wish for.
TerryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:22 PM   #12

Hi

Thanks for the replies and I am relieved to know that I would only do a "faceplant" instead of going thru the window!! Mike thanks for the measurements. I'll check those. I sent an email to Flexsteel to see if they have retro fit belts or seats that could replace the ones in the coach now. This is the response so I guess that won't work!

Good Afternoon,

We do not sell seat belts here. We do supply them in certain seats. In order to get that type of seat you must already have that kind in your unit. So we are not able to do anything for you at this time.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:55 PM   #13

That sounds very much like the other company's response about liability for the seat anchorage. I'm thinking if you have the same seat anchorage I do, you could order the same seat.
Might have to claim you have the 3 point seat & are replacing it, or you might have to convince somebody about the anchorage.
Either way, the logic is pretty unassailable.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:10 PM   #14

If you crack the code on this, I (we) would be interested as well. Lap belts only was one of our hesitations to getting our 2001.

We had Sprinter bench seats installed in my Ford E-350. After a great deal of searching, we only found one place in Ohio that would do it due to the liability issue. So, I am familiar with liability being a show-stopper.