Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2011, 10:14 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Shower Valve Repair

Repairing the shower valve in several Alpine floorplans has caused numerous folks to break out in a sweat. The access seems implausible if not impossible. For posterity, I have photo-documented the process for coaches with the shower valve behind the kitchen mirrors.

You can verify the location of the access hole behind the mirrors by looking behind the slide while it is closed. I measured the distance to verify that it was behind the 3rd and 4th mirrors.

First, carefully pry the Karadon strip from the top of the back splash.

Second, use a hairdryer or heat gun (on very low) to warm the mirrors and pry loose. Be careful to not allow the wallpaper to rip above the area covered by the mirrors. They come out quite easily.

Third, move the slide in (or out) enough to line up the offending valve with the opening.

Fourth, to remove the valve or connectors requires removing the shower set inside the shower. This allows the valve enough movement to back the connectors out.

Fifth, make your repair. A piece of advice is to put some tape on the tube to keep connectors from sliding down, outside your reach. My issue was a mal-formed elbow that was quite obvious and installed anyway. It held for 9 years, but probably by a miracle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0264.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	15055   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0265.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	157.0 KB
ID:	15056  

Name:	IMAG0267.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	164.8 KB
ID:	15057   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0266.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	249.8 KB
ID:	15058  

Name:	IMAG0268.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	15059   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0269.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	160.8 KB
ID:	15060  

Name:	IMAG0272.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	15061   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0273.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	15062  

Name:	IMAG0270.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	15063  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2011, 10:38 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Sixth, after your repair, check all the other connections, pressure it up and check again. By now you don't want to be doing this again next weekend.

Seventh, clean up the mirror backs. Reinstall the mirrors using mastic designed for mirrors. It needs to not damage the mirror backing and work on vertical surfaces. I used Liquid Nails for mirrors.

Eighth, after the mirrors are installed, and dried, seal the bottom edge of the mirrors with aquarium-grade clear silicone, then add the Karadon strip back using the same silicone. Reseal the top edge of the strip. You can clean everything up the next day, after it has cured for 24 hours.

Voila, about 2 hours of work, an hour parts and materials shopping, 15 minutes photographing, 15 minutes cleaning up, 15 minutes posting it here.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0279.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	204.5 KB
ID:	15064   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0349.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	199.0 KB
ID:	15065  

Name:	IMAG0361.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	15066   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0362.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	15067  

Old 10-26-2011, 07:56 AM   #3

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort https://www.twospringsrv.com/
There is another way but I don't recommend it. A long time ago,before I knew I could take off the Karadon backsplash (mirrors in your case) by simply removing 2 little brass inserts and 2 screws, I removed a cover in the back of the cabinet above, got on my knees on the countertop, stuck my head and arms into the little hole up to my armpits and painfully changed the valve. ALMOST HAD TO GET THE JAWS OF LIFE TO GET ME OUT OF THERE!!!!
Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:38 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
FWIW - If you go look at the remodeling mythplaced posted, he elected to build a framed box inserted into that access hole designed to easily be removed for access. I've seen his backsplash remodel and it looks great. The "box" looks somewhat like a window box deep enough to place handy items while parked (not while traveliing). I thought it was a really great idea if you don't care about having the mirrors.
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:00 PM   #5

Shower Valve w/"The Shark" brass 90's

I too had the shower valve leak due the horizontal loading on the threaded 90 degree elbow. Once the threaded broken part was removed you could see the signs of the weeping at the crack in the root of the thread just inside the valve body neck. Never saw that coming as the inspections appeared to be the condensation from the brass body. I replaced the 90’s with brass shark-fittings, from Home Depot.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1040752.JPG
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	15116   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040769.JPG
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	15117  

Dave & Colleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:59 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbowers View Post
FWIW - If you go look at the remodeling mythplaced posted, he elected to build a framed box inserted into that access hole designed to easily be removed for access. I've seen his backsplash remodel and it looks great. The "box" looks somewhat like a window box deep enough to place handy items while parked (not while traveliing). I thought it was a really great idea if you don't care about having the mirrors.
Picture is worth a thousand words...Thanks Bob!

mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:28 AM   #7

Takepride, in your rear picture of the shower valve everyone should take notice of the plastic plug in the bottom of the valve. Since this valve has been used in many home applications, this outlet in the bottom of the valve normally would have routed water to a tub. Someone at the WRV factory came up with this design solution to plug this bottom opening with this plastic assembly.

In taking our coach out of service, I always clear all the lines with air and worked fine until January 2011 zero tempertures hit our normally warm winter weather. I learned the hard way that this plug can not be drained with air and when the water caught in the plastic plug freezes, it chatters the plastic solution rendering the shower unusable.

MY FIX- I removed the Moen mechanism, removed what was left of the plastic plug solution with a tappered yard sprinkler tool (used for removing broken risers in the ground in a sprinkler system), bought a plumbing 1/2" brass plug at ACE, filled the cavity in the middle of the plug with epoxy, intalled the plug into our Moen mechanism, and reinstalled the valve. To my knowledge, we have no more surprise locations in our fresh water system where water can freeze and do damage now we have the newly installed epoxy filled plug in our Moen shower valve. FYI
Old 11-08-2011, 11:03 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
rbg:

Great idea. Wish I'd thought of that before I re-installed everything. But really....

You need a latitude adjustment

Tags
repair, shower