Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:44 PM   #15

Alpine Owners Club
As a follow up, we purchased a new pump from Camping world and I installed it, it sounds weak out of the box, and needed an adjustment so it would not pulse. I will install the replacement from NTP once it get's here and keep the Camping World Pump as a traveling spare. Our coach is now on number 4 pump.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2011, 12:47 AM   #16

Alpine Owners Club
Won't shut off

Just following this thread to see if anyone had my problem after installing a 4008 water pump....it just keeps running after I turn the faucets off. I've checked everything they say to check, for leaks and bubbles, and have neither.

Any suggestions?

Old 04-11-2011, 04:22 AM   #17

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loctite View Post
Just following this thread to see if anyone had my problem after installing a 4008 water pump....it just keeps running after I turn the faucets off. I've checked everything they say to check, for leaks and bubbles, and have neither.

Any suggestions?
Any chance that after filling the water tank you forget to move the valve back to "city water"? In other words, is it set to "fresh tank fill"? If so, that would cause the pump to run continuously.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:38 AM   #18

Alpine Owners Club
New Pump, might have a bad pressure switch. That switch is internal to the pump head, they do go bad, and with Shur-Flo's quality of late (china parts), it might not be any good out of the box.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:34 PM   #19

Dean, I replaced the 5.7 with the new revolution this summer. I agree with engineer Mike's comments. "The 4008 has noticeably lower flow, and cycles up/down in pressure. However, @ the 3gpm delivery rate, it works well for most purposes. Just not as robust delivery as the 5.7 when it is working." This was exactly our experience. We had plenty of water pressure when multiple faucets were open but it did cycle more often. We dry camp a lot and so it was a matter of getting used to a different pump operation.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:46 PM   #20

Alpine Owners Club
FWIW - Our CW replacement SF Sensor 5.7 pump, started slowing down after the first week, but once it broke-in so to speak, it has kept working. I am relucktant to change it again with the new replacement, as I would be tempted to return to CW, for a refund. This way I have a spare pump. I don't want less water pressure/flow, so I will play the pump replacement game as long as it does not cost me any money. once that happens, I will look into an alternative, assuming any replacement will work through the silverleaf system like they do now. Don't think brand should make a difference as it's really just an on/off thing. I will however put in an inline valve so i don't have to drain the tank every time I need to change the pump.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:55 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to MegaRoadie
Anyone have ballpark on cost for the high flow pump assembly?
Old 04-12-2011, 01:18 AM   #22

Alpine Owners Club
Around 180.00 or so. Camping world has them in most locations. Note, because the pumps have a high failure rate(believe it's the electronics in the head which fail, not so much the motor), they may not offer extended warranty. However, it still comes with a 3 year from date of purchase. Try to get most recent build date, as I think there is an updated electronics pack in it, which is better than original build but still not as good as 1st generation pumps which in my case lasted almost 3 years.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:46 AM   #23

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks for the input guys. After sending my post I went out to check my fill valve and sure enough it was in the fill mode. Turned the pump on and once it charged up it turned off.

I've had other RV's and have never run into this problem before. You can bet I'll remember to switch the valve over next time I fill it up.

Heading out for a dry camping weekend this weekend so will get a chance to test out the pressure it delivers.

Thanks for the help.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:56 AM   #24

Alpine Owners Club
I really like my 5.7 pump, but if you dry camp often, you would be better off with a lower flow pump like to 4008. The 5.7 goes through a LOT of water.

Maybe I need to put two different pumps, inline, with a relay that allows one or the other to work.

Hmm, gonna have to think on that one.....
Old 04-13-2011, 03:34 AM   #25

Alpine Owners Club
Yes, but if you are careful how hard you turn on the facuet, you will be able to judge your water use. We camped in DRR-X for 8-9 days and did not run out of water. Took marine shower one night, and quck shower next night. Helped it was cooler during our stay, if it had been hot, would have used more water. We changed our kitchen facuet to a HD special for around 70 dollars, and it is easier to turn on, so we don't have high water flow. The only one that is difficult to manage is the shower one, and I'm thinking about changing it, but access to it is not good, and have enough cuts on my arms from the house water heater which went out today. If the RV's working something in the house is not, life is full of surprises.

You could put in two pumps, and have a three way valve to run them, instead of a relay to turn one off and the other on. A three way valve would allow the 4008 to run, or the 5.7, but not both. A small switch inline to each would prevent the one you are not using from running. Does another brand of pump give something in the middle range of pressure an option?
Old 04-13-2011, 04:56 AM   #26

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rv'er View Post
Yes, but if you are careful how hard you turn on the facuet, you will be able to judge your water use. We camped in DRR-X for 8-9 days and did not run out of water. Took marine shower one night, and quck shower next night. Helped it was cooler during our stay, if it had been hot, would have used more water. We changed our kitchen facuet to a HD special for around 70 dollars, and it is easier to turn on, so we don't have high water flow. The only one that is difficult to manage is the shower one, and I'm thinking about changing it, but access to it is not good, and have enough cuts on my arms from the house water heater which went out today. If the RV's working something in the house is not, life is full of surprises.

You could put in two pumps, and have a three way valve to run them, instead of a relay to turn one off and the other on. A three way valve would allow the 4008 to run, or the 5.7, but not both. A small switch inline to each would prevent the one you are not using from running. Does another brand of pump give something in the middle range of pressure an option?
Shurflo actually makes an intermediate pump. When I bought my used Alpine, it had a 2088 pump (2.8 gpm) and I replaced it with the ShurFlow Extreme 4.0 (4.0 gpm) because of some of the concerns I was reading about the 5.7 and because the 4.0 was much cheaper ($140 delivered). Now for me the 4.0 was an upgrade in pressure and flow rate compared to the 2088 I was used to. So far so good (about a year with the 4.0). Of course, the 4.0 probably has the same circuitry as the 5.7 so long term reliability may be similar. But, it would have the advantage of extending the fresh water while dry camping without the complications of having multiple pumps and relays, switch's etc. I find the 4.0 is perfectly fine for showers.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:05 AM   #27

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitchhiker View Post
the shureflo 5.7 isn't too dependable, i've replaced mine already and carry a spare with me in case it happens again.

A spare pump is cheap insurance against pump failure, murphys's law says if i have a spare i'll never need it.

boy have you got that straight!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-13-2011, 11:38 AM   #28

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
boy have you got that straight!!!!!!!!!
Boy, is that ever true! I don't carry many spare parts, but an extra water pump is one of them.

Speaking of spare parts kits what do ya all carry?