Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2010, 04:16 PM   #1

Shur-Flow Pumps--Redux

After 5 faithful years of service, my Shurflo 5.7 [electronic switch model]failed. I'll save the "how to" dry out a basement for a later post. In this older model, it appears the plastic pressure switch that protrudes thru the pump's water jacket broke--hence the flooding. They nolonger make the model or have new switches in stock [I am thinking about PVC cement or Super gluing the switch????], but its really time for a new pump.

Interesting discussion with a Shurflo tech today--he was probably more honest than his job description allows. Shurflo is introducing a new 4008 model--the Revolution--only available in 3 gpm. Different pumping technology and has a built-in check valve--go figure. According to the tech, this is the "wave of the future" for Shur-flo and overcomes some of the "issues" with the current 5.7 "Extreme" model [e.g., max pressure is 65psi with no internal check valve protection].

Apparently, the two biggest issues for pump failure are: 1) over pressure from hot water heaters and 2) pressure from city water. A good/functioning regulator will solve the city water issue but the water heater expansion is dependent on the water heater's check valve working--here in may lie the problem for some Alpiners.

The model 4008 is about $100--a fairly cheap experiment, but the 3gpm capacity might be an issue. Though we mostly use the pump for dry camping where limited water consumption is a virtue. Any thoughts?
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2010, 07:57 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Interestingly, my water pump failed earlier this year while being summerized at a local RV shop. I attributed it to lack of use (almost 2 - years), and the city water inlet check valve also failed. Then, the "C" retaining clip on the output side simply fell out while camping!?

Your post prompted me to ask a related question that's been on my mind. If you're suppose to limit the water inlet pressure to 45 psi, is it good to have a pump that delivers 65 psi?
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:51 PM   #3

Recently our several year old Shurflo 5.7 also started leaking from the electrical feed wires into the pump and quickly shorted out while in the boondocks on our current trip to Alaska. We had a new one to install "just in case". The new one is much more powerful than the old. It pressures the system up to 65 lbs and frequently does it so quickly the pump cycles on and off when water is being used. It is a distractor & at the same time it is nice to have such a good flow of water from our fresh water tank. Would be nice if there was a new replacement pump that was quieter. I used a small wet vac we carry to remove the water from the basement and used a fan we bought in Whitehorse, YT for a mystery rear slide leak to dry things out. (The rear slide leak is another issue which took me 6 attempts to repair until I figured it out).
Old 08-13-2010, 06:11 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Old Scout,
2 points in your post caught my eye. The one about city water causing pump failure and the admission by Shurflo of problems with the extreme 5.7 pumps. Last weekend, as my fresh tank was being depleted, I hooked in to city water to take a shower (then filled the fresh tank afterwards). Wish I had reversed the order. After disconnecting and departing, my pump stopped working properly. Low flow on cold and no flow on hot. It also stayed on cycling for hours after I attempted to bleed out air and continued running with all faucets closed (an no leak). So I may have been a victim to the "city water" induced pump failure.

Figured the pump was shot and it was just a coincidence it happened after hooking to city water. So then I call Shurflo and ask about various pumps and applications, particularly the extreme. Shurflo customer service says the extreme pumps do NOT have any higher incidence of failure. I challenge her (based on my reading many posts here about the 5.7 repeatedly failing after a few months). She denies any "issues".

But, to your questions about the 4088. I assumed I had a 5.7 in my MH (standard equipment for an 05). But I got mine used so when I went to confirm, I discover that the OEM had been replaced with a cheaper Shurflo classic, the 2088 model, that only has 2.8 gpm. That is a lighter duty pump. Also has the built in check valve like the 4088. But, honestly, the flow rate in the 2088 was perfectly fine the last 2 years (until Saturday!). So that upgraded 4088 should have plenty of flow. The 4088 is described as an upgraded replacement model for the 2088. We never had any complaints about the shower, etc. With a slightly higher flow rate, the 4088 might be an option. However, it only has the 2 year warranty (versus 3 for the 5.7 extreme).
Old 08-13-2010, 06:24 AM   #5
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
The Shureflo 5.7 isn't too dependable, I've replaced mine already and carry a spare with me in case it happens again.

A spare pump is cheap insurance against pump failure, Murphys's Law says if I have a spare I'll never need it.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:09 AM   #6

Appears to be no clear answer here--dont like the pulsing and failure "issues" with the 5.7 but not sure the "new and improved" 4008 model is the answer. The fact that PPL in Houston is suddenly "fire-saling" the 5.7s for $165 is not encouraging. If I go with the 5.7, I plan to put a check valve in-line to isolate the pump from city water pressure and water heater expansion.

PS--Camping World will exchange a failed 4008 at the store but requires that the 5.7 be sent to Shurflo--hummmm?
New Braunfels, Texas
Old 08-13-2010, 09:10 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Jaime & Dave,

Did you remember to change the water inlet valve back to city water after filling the tank. When the valve is in the fill position, the pump just recycles the water back into the tank. I only ask because, even though I have known this for years, I just recently thought I had a pump failure due to valve in the wrong position.

As to failure of the pump due to high city pressure and water heater expansion:
Due to having an Vagabond RO system, I never use city water, I only use city water to fill the tank.
Having the Aqua Hot system, there is no hot water tank, only a heat exchanger. I doubt that heat exchange has enough volume to cause much expansion.

My second pump that was installed at the factory, an early style, just gave up when I tried installing it a month ago. The new style replacement became erratic last week and I replaced it with a HD standard pump to hold me over. I am ordering a replacement 5.7 from Amazon, as I prefer the 5.7 with the expansion tank.
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:47 AM   #8

Does Shurflo make a 5.7 w/expansion tank? Install instructions for the std 5.7 model discourages use of an expansion tank though I suspect it couldnt hurt. Suspect with ROs and Hyrdo-hots, you have a whole different set of "issues".
New Braunfels, Texas
Old 08-13-2010, 10:31 AM   #9

Dave and Jamie,

I agree with Dale, check the tank fill valve. My valve didn't close properly, and caused the pump to continue to run. It also lowered the water flow, as water was constantly running into the tank, not pressurizing the system. I had noticed that the valve was harder to close while the city water was still turned on. For a while opening and closing the valve a couple of times fixed it, but I eventually needed to fix the valve. (Which was quick and easy.)

If you connect to city water with this valve condition, it will slowly fill the tank and overflow it.

A Shurflo tech told me it would take pretty high pressure (~200 psi) to damage the pump. City water pressure would not do that, but the water heater expansion could.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:18 AM   #10

Alpiner's w/the Vagabond RO system rarely expose the 5.7 to city pressure; the tank gets filled thru a parallel route thru the RO which isn't connected to the pressure system of the coach's supply piping. I have the RO system, and am on my 3rd 5.7 (4th is in a box in the garage as a spare). This 3rd acts very differently than the first two, w/faster spooling up, longer trim-down in RPMs to finish off its 65psi. Delivers great pressure 7 flow.

I installed a 4008 in Jerry Smith's 06 as a backup pump, w/remote relay switch to go from 5.7 to 4008 w/a push of the key fob button. The 4008 has noticeably lower flow, and cycles up/down in pressure. However, @ the 3gpm delivery rate, it works well for most purposes. Just not as robust delivery as the 5.7 when it is working.

The statement there is no higher failure rate on 5.7's doesn't pass the sniff test. Talking to SF's pump engineer generally elicits some admission that they don't get the same reliability as w/analog-control pumps.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:16 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
I like how the 5.7 can peel the skin off my back in the shower. No 4088s for me!

I have my regulator also set to 65 psi. IIRC the tubing is rated for 100. I always have the regulator on as a couple of my favorite parks have over 90 psi.
Old 08-14-2010, 12:04 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
FWIW - I just changed my 5.7 for the second time, due to my own fault when I installed a solenoid valve backward and caused "city water fill" pressure on the pump I think, regardless, the pump failed and I changed it out under warranty. The new one (made with 6-10 mafc date) seems to be a much better pump all the way around. It spools up faster, and really puts the water out. So I'm hoping that they have finally gotten it "right" and time will tell.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 01:18 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
As you will note, on the above post, I had just changed the 5.7SF Pump because it failed in service.

We are in Vegas, and the "new" (Aug 10) replacement pump won’t start sometimes, and I have messed with the pressure switch to no avail. I called the distributor I purchased it from, and they are shipping me a new pump and a shipping label to get the old one back to them free of charge. The 5.7SF is a piece of garbage, if this is the longest life we can expect from them. Earlier, someone mentioned not having city water pressure on it, well in the APEX that should never happen since we don't have a city water fill like the Limited coaches do. APEX’s fill the tank from city water source and then use the pump to deliver water through the system. I also today purchased a spare from Camping World, and the lady said they might quit carrying them because they have such a high failure rate. NTP did not say that to me. There should be a way that SF can fix this pump so it lasts better, the warranty returns must be killing them.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:14 AM   #14

I am going to pick up the third pump since last February at Camping World Tuesday. The first one lasted almost 5 years. The current pump is still working but getting slower and slower to come on. At least now I have a water shut off valve just before the pump, so changing it is easier.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote