Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2008, 01:43 PM   #1

After two replacement 5.7 pumps failed within 24 hours of installation, the third pump was pulsing severely. Several calls to Shureflow Tech Assistance resulted in no information and very poor customer assistance (their accent was so bad that I could hardly understand what was being said). Finally asked to be connected to a "Manager" who informed me that Shureflow had made a design modification to their new pumps. All new 5.7 pumps now require an accumulator tank to work properly. I hope this will be the final fix.

sdcyclist
2006 36FDDS
No Water Yet
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2008, 01:43 PM   #2

After two replacement 5.7 pumps failed within 24 hours of installation, the third pump was pulsing severely. Several calls to Shureflow Tech Assistance resulted in no information and very poor customer assistance (their accent was so bad that I could hardly understand what was being said). Finally asked to be connected to a "Manager" who informed me that Shureflow had made a design modification to their new pumps. All new 5.7 pumps now require an accumulator tank to work properly. I hope this will be the final fix.

sdcyclist
2006 36FDDS
No Water Yet
Old 11-14-2008, 11:17 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
I just resolved the same problem with my 5.7 Shurflo pump. My business is close to Shurflo headquarters Cypress CA. I took my pump to them and they put it on their testing equipment and found the center adjusting screw needed adjusted. At the same time I ask about an accumulator and was advised that the new design should not be used with their new 5.7 pump.
Mine works fine now so I don't why you where advised to get accumulator. Here is phone # to cypress office 1-800-854-3218
5900 Katella Ave
Cypress CA 90630

Good luck
40FT FDFS #75725
Rusty Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 01:04 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
As I have stated many times, IMHO, if your pump works great, leave it alone. If it has a problem with cycling, do as I did and add an accumulator. It is easy, causes no problems and solves the cycling. I have been told both stories about using or not using an accumulator. The Shurflo personal that told me it was OK were the engineers and the rep who handled WRV, the ones that said it was not were service tech's.
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 06:19 PM   #5

We lost three of the 5.7 model pumps during 2006 and 2007. Shurflo finally suggested that they replace our pump with the new model 5902-2212. It is a pressure sensitive system that includes an accumulator tank. It was designed for boat applications, but has been working in our alpine for at least 9 months...and we're a lot happier with it than we were with the flow sensitive pumps such as the 5/7.
Mike Gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 08:18 AM   #6

Hello Mike,

I have made a similar decision. The third 5.7 pump pulsed severely even with an accumulator tank. I downgraded to the Classic Premium Plus 3.5 gpm pump with a tank and the system works great!

It seems odd to me that Shurflow with all the feedback and returned pumps they are getting, would have fixed the design to provide a reliable no worries pump.

Milo
2006 36 FDDS
We Have Water Now
Old 11-27-2008, 08:36 AM   #7

When my Shurflo failed over the summer (wouldn't shut off / overheated), I installed a Flojet Sensor 4.7, I had been carrying around as a backup. Works fine, no problems.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:22 AM   #8

We just but our 5th 5.7 Shurflow pump in. It is not pulsating, but quits working after anywhere from 2 minutes to 10 minutes. We have to turn the switch off in our rig, wait a few seconds and turn it back on. Any thoughts?
dunx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:33 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Have you upgraded your wiring to the pump? Is the pump overheating?
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:48 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
I read about all the Shurflow failiers. I have not had a problem, but has anybody tried a Johnson pump? http://www.johnson-pump.com/JPMarine...uajet_wps.html
Old 04-17-2009, 03:07 PM   #11

After my Shurflo quit, I installed my backup Flojet. Has worked flawlessly ever since. Shurflo should step up to the plate and make good on all of these defective pumps. Mine was a couple of months out of warranty when it quit.

I would certainly buy another Flojet. The one I am using is almost 10 years old and has seen alot of use.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...vsd-pumps/3247
Old 05-01-2009, 01:48 PM   #12

would like some help finding a presure switch for a 5. 7 pump thanks droste
droste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 11:07 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Droste:

That switch is built into the head of the pump. You can adjust the pressure setting (some) by turning the screw in the center of the head.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:21 AM   #14

I am at a loss here. We have a 2.8 GPM Shurflo and it delivers just fine. In fact, when we got the Alpine, the pump delivered more water at a greater pressure than did our shore water system. Only after punching-out the OEM shore water regulator and installing a "Whole-house" filter system was I able to attain shore water performance similar to that of our 2.8 GPM Coach system.

As best I can determine, the systems found in our Coaches are fairly common and, in my opinion, not capable of delivering much more than 2 to 3 GPM without a lot of effort. Trying to push water through pipes of 1/2" to 3/4" diameter at high flow rates is taxing to pumps and will cause excessive cycling, which shortens their life. Furthermore, a volume tank will provide only marginal, if any, improvement.

Supporting calculations:

Commonalities:
Flow openings/paths/ports: 1
Fluid: Water
Nominal Pipe Size: 1/2" (actual Pipe ID: 0.622 in.)
Pipe Schedule: 40
Piping Material: PVC
Temperature: (F): 70
Piping Length (ft): 10

Results of calculation based on a delivery rate of 2.8 GPM:
Pressure Loss: 0.392 psi
Head Loss: 0.906 ft.
Reynolds Number: 14229
Flow Region: Turbulent
Fluid Velocity: 2.956 ft/sec.

Results of calculation based on a delivery rate of 5.7 GPM:
Pressure Loss: 1.498 psi
Head Loss: 3.46 ft.
Reynolds Number: 28967
Flow Region: Turbulent
Fluid Velocity: 6.018 ft/sec.

Could it be that wanting a flow rate greater than 3 to 4 GPM from only 1 path (Shower/Galley/Vanity, etc.) is simply too much for the pumps to reliably deliver?
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote