Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:00 AM   #1
ShurFlo 5900-0211 just failed

'04 36 fds

our third ShurFlo 5900-0211 just failed and started leaking. Is there a recommended, non ShurFlo, replacement?

ryoungb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2014, 10:09 AM   #2
Many of us have changed to the Aquajet-ARV, which is rated at around 5 gallons per minute. I changed over a year ago and have had no problems of any kind since. Pressure and flow rate didn't seem to change.

Here is a whole long thread about the problems with Shurflo:

5.7 Shurflo replacement

I didn't make any changes to the wiring, and didn't use the pump relay many mentioned in that thread, although that is probably a good idea.

The mounting hole pattern is different, and the fittings are a little different, but nothing major.

Jim A
'04 Alpine Coach 36' MDDS
Jim A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 07:15 PM   #3
Alpine Owners Club
I would strongly encourage you (& everyone) to add a separate relay to drive the water pump. I too finally converted to Aquajet after experiencing 3 - dead Shurflo failures (a 4th one leaked). However, in the process of troubleshooting a Shurflo problem I discovered that WRV used relatively small wire to connect the 3-way switches (like 22 AWG!). These pumps are rated for 10 amp operation and using that small of wire can cause considerable voltage drop especially when considering the wire distance from the switch to the pump. One owner reported that he measured 10 - 10.5 VDC on the pump with the original wiring.

The Aquajet manual specifically states that a separate relay be used to power their 10-amp pump. I share relay power with the power reel source in the service compartment using a SPDT toggle switch to select pump vs. reel which guarantees that the associated fuse doesn't blow. The toggle switch is not required but you'll need to make sure you don't use the reel while the pump is running.

Does the original wiring work? Of course it does! But what is that voltage drop doing to the electrical integrity of the pump. Sorry but 3 - pumps going dead convinced me that another problem existed. Wrong gauge wire! That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
Bob Bowers (Surprise, AZ)
2003 Alpine Coach 40' FDTS
2014 Jeep Cherokee Lattitude
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:01 PM   #4
Aqua jet is the way to go. Much quieter too
Jim & Vivian
2007 Alpine Apex
40FT FDFS #75725
Rusty Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:34 AM   #5
ShurFlo Problems

'04 36 fds

I'm not sure how to reply to all of you that responded to our ShurFlo problem, but I'm persuing the Aqua-Jet and to thanks all for the help.

Originally Posted by ryoungb View Post
'04 36 fds

our third ShurFlo 5900-0211 just failed and started leaking. Is there a recommended, non ShurFlo, replacement?

ryoungb is offline   Reply With Quote