Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:21 PM   #15

Alpine Owners Club
Ted and Oldforester,

The earlier versions of these pumps have way less problems. The last fix by the factory was installing an "old style" pump, this was the only way they knew how to solve the problem. This is the same pump that Shurflo's engineer and tech. worked on. I guess I was just unlucky and got one of the few old style pumps that didn't work well. The new style have the adjustment for the pressure and the old ones do not.

Dale

Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2007, 06:40 PM   #16

Alpine Owners Club
Dale,

You know we have the same problem with our Sureflo 5.7. As our 5.7 pulsates, our lights under our kitchen cabinets dim along with the pulsation. You said in your posting of 11/27 on this thread that you rewired to cure a voltage drop. Is that our problem too??

Also, the new pump we purchased (but have yet to install) has the adjustment screw on the bottom. Sureflo told us that adjusting the flow using this screw would resolve our pulsation problem. However, it sounded like you did that on your latest pump and it didn't work for long. So, is the only solution to add the accumulator tank?

Thanks!!

Gail

gjstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 07:45 AM   #17

Alpine Owners Club
Gail,

I would always go for the easy solution first. These pumps are great when they work as intended. I would install the new pump, try it and try the adjustment if necessary. I installed the tank only after I gave up on all other solutions.

Just for information, WRV put a lot of effort into trying to fix Shurflo's problem, it is Shurflo that has let me down.

Dale
Old 12-01-2007, 09:06 AM   #18

My 5.7 runs for a short time every so often. At first I thought it was a leak; looked everywhere & no leak. Then I did the Vagabond RO intallation & determined the system has at least one internal leak (which I solved by locating check valves on either side of the filter bypass valve, each facing away from the valve and thereby isolating it). Pump still runs a bit, periodically.

My current hypothesis: either there is still an internal leak thru a fitting someplace, or the leak is thru the pump's own check valve. This discussion leads me to suspect the pump more than I otherwise would have.

I've had 4 motorhomes & never a pump breakdown. My solution was to purchase a ShurFlo 12V 2.8gpm 40psi diaphragm replacement pump for my 1984 Winnebago Chieftan, and carry it as a spare (same 1/2" male pipe thread fittings as the 5.7) for the Winnie & every motorhome since. Its like threatening the OEM pump (You'll do your job or I'll get someone who can!!!). 'Course that pump was built in 1994, and probably has internal o-rings or something that has gone bad in the last 13 years. Maybe I should test it?
Old 12-02-2007, 07:05 AM   #19

Alpine Owners Club
Mike I would suspect the pump.I have the same problem and didn't have it until the factory put the new pump in.I called shurflo and they said to turn all the faucets on at the same time for a couple minutes and let them run.It seemed to help.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:31 AM   #20

Bob- That's not what I wanted to hear
Until I read this thread, and based on essentially excellent service from the 05 pump in my last rig, I wasn't planning on carrying the spare pump. But I guess reality is better than hope, so I will.

I looked at the accumulator tank at Lowes. Its 8" diameter x 12" long for ~600 cubic inches. There is a wasted space above the starboard to port sewer pipe where I could put a 3" class 160 PVC pipe, 6' long with glued end caps and a tapped fitting that would perform the same function, and provide the same volume for similar pressure regulation. That would be an all plastic solution that is easy to plumb. A 48" x 4" pipe would provide the same volume also.
Old 12-02-2007, 12:12 PM   #21

Alpine Owners Club
Mike,

I hope your pump is one of the good ones. I am not sure that there has been a lot of failures, just irritating uneven flow.

The tank I got from Lowes was for use with pump systems, they also have ones for just expansion, like for protecting from water heating expansion in the water heater. The ones for use with pumps have a diaphragm in them. I assume this is to keep the water and air isolated and allows for a minimum amount of air pressure to be held in the air side of the tank. This part of the tank, obviously, has an "tire type" valve stem in it to allow setting the pressure. I think this type of tank is only carried in the areas where a lot of wells are in use.

Dale
Old 12-02-2007, 04:15 PM   #22

I didn't see a schraeder valve on the unit I inspected, but was more interested in the dimensions & where I'd install it. Since I don't have that particular issue (yet), I won't be installing it till I do (just happened to be @ Lowes & had it on my list to check out).

But instead, I bench tested the 1994 spare pump, which works great, and am now mounting it permanently in the coach just to the rear of the 5.7, and with the ShurFlo #94-591-01 "Pump Silencing Kit" (two 36" flex hoses w/spin on threaded ends). Now if the main pump fails, I just hafta crawl into the smart bed, & move the plumbing & electrical connections over to the spare, and I'm back in business. I can R&R the 5.7 w/out shutting down the coach. The old diaphragm type is noisier, but for a git-by it will do the job.