Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:27 PM   #1

Shurflo Water pump runs intermittently...for no reason?

Headed out to dry camp at the DFW Pate Swap Meet Wednesday...just got around to filling the fresh water tank and dewinterizing...wouldn't you know it somehing is going on with the waterpump. It runs intermittently as if there is a pressure loss. Has to be a pressure loss I guess...at least every other one I have had that acted like this had a small leak or something. I can't find a thing after 3 hours of searching...nada, zilch...!

I was just wondering if anyone ever had a waterpump pump that lost pressure internally??? ....or anything else weird..?

This is a Whisper King Model 2093...

Thanks...Stan

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2011, 10:41 PM   #2
edj

It could be the water pump not holding the pressure. It also could be the 'one-way' water valve where the external water hose hooks up to the RV. I have had that leak pressure when no hose was hooked up. Try putting a hose cap on the water hose hookup threads. That would seal that valve off from leaking pressure. If the pump still cycles on, the one-way valve is OK and it is likely the pump.

edj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:55 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Stan:

I hope you find the source of your leaking pressure, but either way, I would carry a spare pump. Nothing ruins a boondock faster than no water. Many of us have the ShurFlo 5.7 (great pressure) and are therefore committed to having a spare.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:04 PM   #4

I think Ed might be on the right path, but he is incorrect about capping off the water fill. That won't do it. I had that valve start leaking, and what it does is leak the pressure off into the fresh water tank. (In one position it fills the fresh water tank, and in the other position it pressurizes the water system when connected to city water.) If you open and close that valve the seal might reposition itself and stop leaking. That worked on mine for a short period. I started seeing the problem after I filled the fresh water tank. Since you just filled the tank, it is a likely culprit.

I found that with this condition, if you have the city water connected it would slowly fill the water tank. And if left alone would overfill it.

If this is the problem, it is an easy fix if you have a new Flair-it valve. Pull off the handle and unscrew the valve cap and remove the stem from the new valve and put it in the old one. Taking the whole valve out and replacing it is a pain.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:07 PM   #5

Stan is right, I carry a spare 5.7 pump, wired with quick disconnects, ready to install. If you previously put a valve in the water line to the pump, it is easy and will take about 15 minutes. If no valve, you will likely have to drain the tank to replace the pump. Or move water lines really really fast!
Old 04-25-2011, 11:33 PM   #6

After looking at these post which got me on track.. I just found something else in another thread I didn't know...the "Fill Valve" has to be returned to the City Water position...!! I would NEVER have guessed to do that ...it still isn't on City Water?? Looks like it would say City Water OR 12 Volt Pump...or anything that would give you a clue.

I just ran out to the Alpine with a flashlight in my PJ's to try it out!! Repositioned the valve back to the City Water position...started the pump and it's fixed...!!! Now I can sleep!!!

Thanks everyone...
Best regards..Stan
Old 04-25-2011, 11:33 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Jim:

Thanks for the great, if untimely, explanation on repairing the three-way valve. You are very correct, changing the body out is a PITA! (and completely unnecessary).
Old 04-26-2011, 08:41 AM   #8
edj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim A View Post
I think Ed might be on the right path, but he is incorrect about capping off the water fill. That won't do it. I had that valve start leaking, and what it does is leak the pressure off into the fresh water tank. (In one position it fills the fresh water tank, and in the other position it pressurizes the water system when connected to city water.) If you open and close that valve the seal might reposition itself and stop leaking. That worked on mine for a short period. I started seeing the problem after I filled the fresh water tank. Since you just filled the tank, it is a likely culprit.

I found that with this condition, if you have the city water connected it would slowly fill the water tank. And if left alone would overfill it.

If this is the problem, it is an easy fix if you have a new Flair-it valve. Pull off the handle and unscrew the valve cap and remove the stem from the new valve and put it in the old one. Taking the whole valve out and replacing it is a pain.
I guess it depends on the design of the fresh water plumbing system in the rig. I created the failure on my rig when I was winterizing it. After sucking up the antifreeze through the external water hose fitting, the instructions said in BOLD CAPITAL letters to turn off the water pump and then depress the little button in the middle of the water hose fitting. So, naturally, I did NOT turn off the pump and pressed the button. The antifreeze blew back in my face before I could release the button. The following Spring, after flushing out the fresh water system, I found that the water pump kept 'burping'. It turned out that this plumbing design had the 'one-way' valve built into the fresh water hose inlet fixture. The pressure was being slowly released at the water hose fitting and I could stop it by putting a water hose cap on the external hose fixture. I ended up replacing the fixture.
edj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by takepride View Post
Jim:

Thanks for the great, if untimely, explanation on repairing the three-way valve. You are very correct, changing the body out is a PITA! (and completely unnecessary).
Sorry about the timing of my post! I bought some spare stems and seals for next time. Apparently all the Flair-it valves use the same stem and seal.

Ed - Yep, I think our coaches are plumbed differently than yours. Unfortunately I had experience with that fill valve that matched Stan's symptoms.

Stan - That's why we are on this forum!! Glad your problem was that easy to solve.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:14 PM   #10

Just a note ..

I also bought a new waterpump...just in case. I didn't have a spare...and we boondock a lot.