Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:56 AM   #1

Shurflo water pump - use it!

Don't know if this has been covered, but for those of you who have had Shurflo water pump problems, consider this.
Yesterday on the ferry out of Port Townsend after a NoWACA rally, I was on the deck talking with another Alpiner. We were talking about water pumps and how he has had 3 replaced by Shurflo. I've had one for 2 1/2 years since I got the coach.
I use it constantly, always filling the tank from the park water source. Next to us was a young lady who worked at a boat repair facility nearby and she has had to deal with Shurflo and their pumps for quite some time. She said that they have to be used!! And I was doing it the right way. If they're not used, like in a boat/rv in storage, some small disc inside gets dried out and then it starts to leak and then it fails.

So when they say 'use it or lose it' maybe they're referring to water pumps also.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2009, 03:55 PM   #2

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort http://www.twospringsrv.com/
We live full time in our Apex and use nothing but RO water from the tank. Our pumps are used A LOT! I have lost count of how many pump replacements we have done in the last 3 1/2 years, 7 or 8 I think. I did add a pressure tank to lower the duty cycle. I guess I am unlucky as Lyle Fuller is still using the original pump in his Apex. Go figure.

Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 06:55 PM   #3

I am with Basil. We use our pump all the time, not connecting to city water except to fill the tank, and I have had two pumps go out. We had two class C motorhomes before the Alpine, and never had a pump failure. Granted those had much smaller flow pumps. But I am happy to know that somebody has had good luck with the Sureflo pump to balance out my bad luck with them.

My current pump is supposedly after the design change, and it has been holding up well so far.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:10 PM   #4

I've had ShurFlo pumps and had similar problems that required replacing the pump head. I replaced the pump in my Dolphin (a FloJet) with this FloJet model http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...ter-pump/28997 when I thought the pump was leaking. Turned out to be a valve instead, so I've got a spare pump if it doesn't go south like the ShurFlo did from periods of non-use.
This replacement was cheap, has good pressure and flow, and we've used it without problems for two years. It is a little noisier.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:24 PM   #5

I have had the same shurFlow 5.7 pump for almost 5 years, it still works great. We also have an RO system and use the pump 24/7.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:15 PM   #6

To change the subject, our '98 has great pressure when using the pump but less pressure on city water even when I have plenty of pressure coming from the hose. I have cleaned the incoming screen at the hose connection with little improvement. Is there another screen I need to clean in-line somewhere. Or is this common?
Thanks.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:30 PM   #7

Yup, as Basil said we are on our first pump and use it 24/7 and it is always connected to city water. We bought a spare because we were sure ours was going out like most others.....still waiting and this was the 1st Apex off the line. Go figure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim A View Post
I am with Basil. We use our pump all the time, not connecting to city water except to fill the tank, and I have had two pumps go out. We had two class C motorhomes before the Alpine, and never had a pump failure. Granted those had much smaller flow pumps. But I am happy to know that somebody has had good luck with the Sureflo pump to balance out my bad luck with them.

My current pump is supposedly after the design change, and it has been holding up well so far.
Datastorm #3481
Lyle & Cath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:33 PM   #8

Brian- I'm guessing you have a pressure regulator after the hose connection, but that the pump is on the coach side of that constriction.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:36 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Hello All, well we have the 07 Apex 40, and we use our pump all the time when we are out, and during the summer season, I leave a little water in the tanks and lines to keep seal wet like they are supposed to be. We have not had any trouble, but we don't full time yet, and so our use is not like many. However, I have taken the time to write down all the pump data so I can purchase a spare, because every little bit of water goes through the pump. We have great pressure and flow. Go figure.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:26 AM   #10

Thanks Mike..I'll do some searching down the waterline.