Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 05-08-2016, 07:34 PM   #1
Silicone easy clean up

I can't count how many times I have used silicone over my adult life, and hated every one. I am a vary handy, hands on guy, but trying to work with silicone successfully is darn near impossible. If you don't get the perfect bead the first time, forget it. If you blue tape both sides and think you have outwitted the silicone, no way. Well, I wish I knew about this trick 45 years ago. When I witnessed this trick, I called my 3 plumber and 4 contractor buddies. I called two friends who own hardware stores. I contacted the guy that installed Granite Countertops in my rentals. None of them have ever heard of this trick, but thanked me profusely. One plumber had just retired and when I called him, he answered from Florida, cussing up a storm because he didn't know this for his 40 year plumbing career.

I was having a good time at a rally in Goodyear, Arizona. One of the Alpine Socal members had a local company remove 2 of his windows to remove the center fogging. When they returned with his repaired windows, they installed them, and did the worst silicone job I have ever seen. It was smeared on the full body paint job and the trim. I thought to myself, how is this guy going to get this silicone cleaned up without smearing, or possibly harming the paint. He took this product out of his truck and did the easiest clean up job I have ever see. This is the same product that my wife has under our sink. I told her it was a waste of money. Now I have it at my cabin, in the garage, in my motorhome, even in my car. Yesterday, I had the opportunity to us it. I had a couple of small leaks at the bottom of my shower stall in the Alpine. I did my usual crappy silicone job with my caulking gun. Then I whipped this magic product out and pushed the silicone deep into the gaps and then used the same product to do a spotless, residue free clean up. What, you ask, is this magic silicone solution?

I know, overly dramatic, but if you are a plumber, you are jumping up and down right now!!

Your Welcome,

ALPINEER is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2016, 10:13 PM   #2
I'll never have that problem. Silicone on RV's is never a good idea. It does not adhere well over time to smooth surfaces. Ever pull an entire dried bead away from a joint simply by pulling on one end?
Thanks for the post, I'll keep it in mind - just in case.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:14 AM   #3
I would think this will work with any kind of caulking. Thanks for the tip as I am probably the worst caulker known to man!

2000 Alpine 38 FDS
alpinedrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:52 AM   #4
The technique I have found works best for those of us who do not do caulking every day is:

Blue tape on each side of what is to be caulked.

Apply caulk to at most a 4' section and IMMEDIATELY smooth with your finger (in disposable glove).

IMMEDIATELY, remove tape.

IMMEDIATELY go back over the caulk with our finger (dry or wet depending on what caulk you are using).

2003 Alpine 38FDDS
wolfe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 09:23 PM   #5
Monaco Owners Club

Also! lay down as small a bead as you can. Especially when finishing the bead requires the use of a finger. The excess from the smaller bead will still accumulate and fill in the lower places along the way. On my next job I am going to try the Clorox wipe too. Sounds better.
holycow is offline   Reply With Quote