Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2015, 06:29 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to greenmachine
Silver Leaf

Hello all,
I have read that some of the Alpine Coaches came with a Silver Leaf Monitor. I think it came on the unlimited. What I'm wanting to know, where did it mount and what all info did you get. I'm after instant miles to gallon and any quick info. Under the dash on the driver side is a plug in for one. I can't find a pic of anything showing this. Does anyone have one and can tell me more about it.
Thanks
Larry Pate
2003 Alpine Coach 38FDDS 350 ISC
Boston Ky
greenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2015, 07:06 AM   #2

Do a Google search on Silver Leaf--it will tell you all you need to know about SL and more.....the SL option didnt appear on Alpines until 06, or there abouts. Like mine, your 03 has an engine monitor plug on the firewall in front of the passenger seat. You will need to use the PC-based SL model with a 6-pin [not 9-pin] interface plug and a serial port adapter. The software for your PC is free online--SL charges you for the proprietary plug. Lots of good reading about SL on this forum--try doing a "search".....
PS--might find a 6-pin plug for sale as owners upgrade to newer coaches and need the 9-pin plug.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 09:52 AM   #3

I recently bought the Silverleaf wifi JIB version to use with the VMSpc software, only to find that it would not work on my '04 coach. They exchanged it for the 501 USB JIB version. I have the 9 pin data port but the J1939 data was not fully implimented in '04 per Silverleaf.

FYI, Walmart has a 10.1" Nextbook Windows 8.1 tablet for $179. Just the right size for the dash, and it is compatible with the VMSpc software. That's what I am using.

The "instant" mileage is pretty useless as it fluctuates too wildly to be of much use. "Recent" mileage works better. The free Silverleaf software download includes the manual, which will explain most features. You sound like you will be interested in the odometer feature. You can easily customize what you want to keep track of. On the PC screen.

Art is very helpful if you have problems with the software.
Old 05-12-2015, 05:56 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Silver Leaf

Larry, I took a slightly different approach, I use a 15" Dell laptop, 1/3 of the screen is the VMSpc application, the other 2/3's I use for Delorme Street Plus. That gives me plenty of viewing space for my GPS navigation. I show current MPG as we'll as recent to give me an idea of how I am doing and I am also able to watch my temperatures.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 06:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmachine View Post
Hello all,
I have read that some of the Alpine Coaches came with a Silver Leaf Monitor. I think it came on the unlimited. What I'm wanting to know, where did it mount and what all info did you get. I'm after instant miles to gallon and any quick info. Under the dash on the driver side is a plug in for one. I can't find a pic of anything showing this. Does anyone have one and can tell me more about it.
Thanks
Larry Pate
Boston Ky
Greenmachine, if you in fact need a 6 prong plug for a vmspc I have one. let me know! Jim
beaverjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 06:33 PM   #6

It will also show you the total amount of fuel you have used lifetime. You might not want to see that number!

I bought it to see temperatures, turbo boost, and error codes if/when the check engine light comes on. And you can use multiple odometers, like trip, current fuel tank, daily miles, etc. Each with miles, fuel used, MPG, and engine hours.

You can set limits, so you have a green light if your speed is below 60 MPH, yellow from 61 to 65, and red above 66 and above. Same with MPG readings. Pick your limits for each parameter. It is highly customizable.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:47 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Like Jim I have used a Silverleaf since 2001. Best tool I have purchased, I did an upgrade from a 200 green screen to 240 Color screen.

I now have installed a refueling database app on my Droid which tracks all the fuel and maintaince I use on all my vehicles. So when I review that app it can scare you when you see where money is going for fuel. The app will provide you with monthly expenses for all the vehicles. Just one more thing I can play with. I also installed the app on the DW phone and synced with my account so even if she gets fuel it shows up on my phone for record keepin.

Fortunately the app was free.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 05:03 AM   #8

Hey everyone thanks for the help, but on the driver side under the dash is a six pin plug. What is that plug for? Its mounted to the firewall. Where did you mount it on the dash Jim? I'm in Ky is there any Alpine groups out this way?
Thanks
Larry Pate
Boston Ky
Old 05-13-2015, 12:34 PM   #9

Larry,

On my '04 the data port is on thevfirewall in front of the passenger seat, on the lower right in the picture. Again, mine is the 9 pin.

I mounted the JIB to the firewall nearby using velcro tape. I ran the USB cable under the dash to the area nearvthe drawer, and mounted a female to female USB connector. Then run a cell phone micro USB cable from there to the tablet.

I used a Ram tablet mount to hold the tablet on the dashboard behind and to the right of the instrument panel. Near the center post on the windshield. Close enough to see and does not block the view.

I know there are quite a few Alpines in Texas. I don't know about any owners groups other than Alpine Coach East (ACE) away from the west coast.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150512_084054.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	229.4 KB
ID:	94174  
Old 05-13-2015, 03:57 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
I just installed a ScanGauge, ScanGauge - Trip Computer + Digitial Gauges + ScanTools, that gives you every conceivable reading you could want for about $130. Plugs into the 6 or 9 pin port and installs in about 30 minutes with no tools required. Might be worth checking out.
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 02:37 PM   #11

HI, everyone I have been checking the different ways to get MPG and all codes. Does your Silverleaf or ScanGuage get you ABS. Once in awhile my ABS light will come on then go off. I'm wanting something that will read codes on engine reset and ABS. Does yours read ABS? The different salespeople say if its in the board it will show it. On the passenger side firewall I have two different hook ups. Can you tell me how this works and can I read ABS also. I'm still waiting for some of the salesman to get back to me.
Thanks
Larry Pate
Boston Ky.
Old 05-14-2015, 03:28 PM   #12

On the 03 and earlier models--the ABS and the engine/tranny plugs were separate [6-pin], later models went to a combined plug [9-pin] ....dont recall reading in the SL manual or hearing anyone say that SL reads ABS codes----since SL is reading the engine ECM, not likely that ECM would be tracking ABS--IMHO......
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 06:48 PM   #13

I haven't had mine long enough to experiment. I know you can scan to see what PID signals are available. I don't remember seeing ABS code PID's showing up. If it is there, then you need to see if is marked as "defined" or "undefined" by Silverleaf in order to use it.
Old 05-15-2015, 08:14 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Larry, If you don't want to tie up or fool with a pc or cell, you might try what several of us did. We replaced the back-up camera with a Silverleaf VMS400. With a bit of bracket creativity it is mounted in the same spot as the old back-up monitor. The existing back-up camera is plugged into the VMS400. Additionally the VMS400 gives you every conceivable engine and transmission data. Options can give you tire pressure, weather info and other stuff detailed at www.simply-smarter.com . If you are not into do-it-yourself; you might be able to talk Silverleaf into a free or low cost installation if you can get to Albany,OR or meet up with them at FMCA or other shows. Good Luck, whatever you choose.
zinom is offline   Reply With Quote