Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2015, 10:25 AM   #1

Silver leaf Smarttire system

I've got a 2007 36FDDS with the smarttire system. In the coach info pkg. is a set of specs for it. I am beginning to experience what I think is batt. failure in the transmitters. The latest issue of FMC had a timely article on tire press/temp units, (various brands) and mentioned battery life as being about 7 yrs. coincidentally about the time to change tires. I can't find anything in the smarttire specs that tells you whether or not the transmitters have a built-in batt., meaning change transmitters when batts. fail, (seems unlikely) , or replace with new batts only. Nowhere in specs does it mention batt. life, or batt. size, or batt voltage. I have already installed new front tires, (about a year and a half ago), they were original, and am prepairing to to the rears this fall; (also original). I need to know what to expect when those tires come off the rims....can't be standing around going duh at the Goodyear store with the tire monkeys standing around looking at each other. Anybody already gone through this?
Thanks, Dudley
Dudley do-right is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2015, 12:00 PM   #2

The Smartire temperature/pressure sensor transmitters are a self-contained unit that has to be replaced when the batteries die. I change mine when replacing the tires.
Les Schwab in Junction City, OR usually has plenty in stock; you might want to give them a call and they will ship to you if you are unable to find the units in your local area. The last time I replaced mine they ran about $70.00 each. Whatever you do, make sure no one tries to sell you units for automobiles, they are not the same as those designed for high pressure truck tires. If I remember correctly the R.V./truck units are orange while automobile types are green.
Birddog Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 02:51 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
It is also smart to change out the stainless steel bands that attached the transmitters to the rims when you replace the units. Do not reuse 7 year old bands.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 09:44 AM   #4

search for smartire replacement sending units

Bingo! Bird dog pilot;
I called Paul at LES SCHWAB, in Junction City OR. and now have 6 new ones on the way.... by the way, they're $83.65 plus shipping now. Who says inflation is practically 0 now?
Dudley Haycraft,
(Dudley Do-Right)
Old 09-04-2015, 11:30 PM   #5

The sensors are in the drop centers of the wheel, when they break the bead they can see the sensor and remove the tire without damaging the sensor. When they replace the sensors, in order for them to work correctly, they have to be 180 degrees opposite each other to work correctly. The best way is mount them opposite the valve stem, then mount tires with valve stems 180 degrees off.
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:03 PM   #6

install info on new smartire sensors

note to Kraig:
The info you posted is not the same as the instructions I got with my new sensors. Are you by chance referring to the mounting positions on the dual rear tires? (Although my inst. show no difference for front or rear)

Dudley
Old 09-25-2015, 08:19 PM   #7
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudley do-ri View Post
Bingo! Bird dog pilot;
I called Paul at LES SCHWAB, in Junction City OR. and now have 6 new ones on the way.... by the way, they're $83.65 plus shipping now. Who says inflation is practically 0 now?
Dudley Haycraft,
(Dudley Do-Right)
Did they also send you new straps too?
I just ordered 8 new ones and just got the sensors no straps!
Thanks
Old 09-25-2015, 09:41 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
I will be replacing mine this time when I get new tires. Has anyone replaced the bands?
I am wondering what the new bands cost.
40FT FDFS #75725
Rusty Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 08:00 AM   #9

new straps for smarttire sensors

I specifically asked at Les Schwab, if new bands should be used, and they said they almost never use new bands, only in cases of obvious detierioration, and I would have to agree......

P.S.
After re-reading the post about sensor position, I think I misunderstood the writers' intent when he said "opposite" the valve stems.

dudley
Old 09-26-2015, 03:02 PM   #10
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudley do-ri View Post
I specifically asked at Les Schwab, if new bands should be used, and they said they almost never use new bands, only in cases of obvious deterioration, and I would have to agree......

P.S.
After re-reading the post about sensor position, I think I misunderstood the writers' intent when he said "opposite" the valve stems.

dudley
Good to know! That is what I was told by Kevin Wait. I paid $650 for eight including reprogramming the controller box. I do not have them installed yet as I'm waiting for my two 365 Michelin tires for the front.
Thanks for your post!