Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-01-2008, 01:39 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
We are new owners of an Alpine Coach with a Siver Leaf system.

I really hated the fact that I had to turn the ignition key to the "run" position to check tank levels or perform any other function.

What I did not like about it was, if my wife was watching TV, the TV would go off. Also, I did not like listening to the bells and gongs.

I contacted Silver Leaf in Albany, OR. and they told me to come by and they could make it work on either the "accessory or run" position of the key. The other option is a toggle switch. I opted for the "accessory" option and now I can check the tanks without bothering my wife.

In my opinion, this is a much better set up and should be the standard installation.

big jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2008, 01:39 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
We are new owners of an Alpine Coach with a Siver Leaf system.

I really hated the fact that I had to turn the ignition key to the "run" position to check tank levels or perform any other function.

What I did not like about it was, if my wife was watching TV, the TV would go off. Also, I did not like listening to the bells and gongs.

I contacted Silver Leaf in Albany, OR. and they told me to come by and they could make it work on either the "accessory or run" position of the key. The other option is a toggle switch. I opted for the "accessory" option and now I can check the tanks without bothering my wife.

In my opinion, this is a much better set up and should be the standard installation.

big jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 01:50 PM   #3

Thanks for sharing that does sound like a good Idea. Maybe it will catch on....thanks Ron
Old 01-02-2008, 03:06 AM   #4

I have an aftermarket Silverleaf unit monitored by a lap-top computer running off 12 Volts. The system works well but it was a PItA when powered only when the ignition switch is in the 'On/Run' position because the computer lost power when I shut down the engine. The computer would then have be re-started and boot up when I returned. So, I tried a few things, which are outlined below:

1. When the computer is powered by the switch in the ACC position it will lose power when the engine is started because of the circuit interruption and/or voltage drop.
2. A switched/fused line from the House battery allows the unit to operate properly but if the generator is started, the current draw will drop-out the power to the Silverleaf.
3. If the computer is wired to run off the ignition switch in either the 'ON' or 'ACC' position, a Diode must be installed to prevent cross-feed of those little Electrons, in which case the alarms will sound because the 'On/Run' side of the ignition switch will have power.
4. Adding a small 12 Volt battery wired in parallel to the battery and charged by the engine alternator solves all issues. However, in addition to the fused/switched power line, the circuit must also include a Diode between the small battery and the main battery(ies) to prevent voltage drop when the engine is started.

If all you want is to have Silverleaf operate for a short time without having all the engine alarms sounding in concert, what Silverleaf did is a very good fix. However, if, like mine, your system is an aftermarket unit operating in conjunction with a stand-alone computer, another way should be found to provide more versatile operation.

Did I explain this in a manner well enough to be understood?
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote