Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2012, 09:43 AM   #1

Sirius ready?

I have a 2008 Alpine Coach SE and recently replaced the radio with a new one which is Sirius-ready. My problem is that I don't see a Sirius cable to connect to. The coach has a Sirius antenna and I assume that would not have been installed without the proper wiring. Can anyone help me with this?

Dave Weber
08 Alpine Coach 40 ft MD triple slide
07 Honda Element
dwebcbceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2012, 11:07 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
The antenna for the Sirius satellite should be under the dash somewhere. Mine was tucked up and wrapped with a tie under the dash on the passenger side. I was able to just plug it in to the new radio. You will need to activate the satellite after you get reception.
40FT FDFS #75725
Rusty Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:53 PM   #3

Our Sirius antenna cable was also behind the panel directely in front of the passenger seat. WRV installed the Panasonic Sirius "ready" radio, the roof antenna and cable, but not the Sirius receiver adapter box; this is an inexpensive item easily obtained from Best Buy. Your radio may already have this adapter built in.
Birddog Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:06 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
You need to double check the manual for that radio "xxx ready" doesn't always mean a heck of a lot.

I bought the $10 cheaper sony bluray plyer, it said "wifi ready" all over the box, turned out that meant it would have wifi as soon as you plugged an extra cost and not included wifi module onto the usb port. I went right back and exchanged it for one that just said "wifi"

The magnadyne radio that monaco uses is "sirius ready"
Mine came with the OPTIONAL satelite radio tuner.
My buddies HR did not.

you may need an extra gizmo.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:34 PM   #5

Dave- I haven't checked out how to plumb in the Sirius. I might be recalling a coax cable zip tied up in the space behind the radio (access thru PS kick panel), or I might be halucinating (I'm on my 3rd cerveza this evening here in Baja & don't remember how I got here). Just guessing that since they installed the antenna that the cable must be there. Also just a guess, but I think the Jensen radio & the antenna came free if the OEM would advertise "Sirius". After all there hasta be some excuse for that Jensen.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:11 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwebcbceo View Post
I have a 2008 Alpine Coach SE and recently replaced the radio with a new one which is Sirius-ready.
The problem is you expect an antenna connection.

What you have is a weird looking jack of some kind (I can not tell you what it looks like) on the back, it may be "plugged" with a dust cover.

A Serius receiver module, which is an option from the radio's manufacturer, plugs into this jack (IT will have only two or 3 connecitons, said jack, antenna and (optionally depending on the unit) power) it is then controlled from the radio's front panel.

If the radio does not have an AUX-IN, then there is a module for that

If you would like a multi-CD changer.. Yup, that plugs in the same jack too.

But you MUST get units designed to work with that radio.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:08 PM   #7
hax

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post
Dave- I haven't checked out how to plumb in the Sirius. I might be recalling a coax cable zip tied up in the space behind the radio (access thru PS kick panel), or I might be halucinating (I'm on my 3rd cerveza this evening here in Baja & don't remember how I got here). Just guessing that since they installed the antenna that the cable must be there. Also just a guess, but I think the Jensen radio & the antenna came free if the OEM would advertise "Sirius". After all there hasta be some excuse for that Jensen.
Mike: If you had three crevasse, don't try to cut the wire ties.

2003 ALPINE 40FDTS
hax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:16 PM   #8
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
You need to double check the manual for that radio "xxx ready" doesn't always mean a heck of a lot.

I bought the $10 cheaper sony bluray plyer, it said "wifi ready" all over the box, turned out that meant it would have wifi as soon as you plugged an extra cost and not included wifi module onto the usb port. I went right back and exchanged it for one that just said "wifi"

The magnadyne radio that monaco uses is "sirius ready"
Mine came with the OPTIONAL satelite radio tuner.
My buddies HR did not.

you may need an extra gizmo.
Sirius "Satelite Ready" means you are ready to spend more money on the tuner module you need to make the system work. In many cases you also need the antenna. At least I did with my boat.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:18 PM   #9

Sirius antenna cable

Thanks to all who replied to my post about the antenna lead in for the Sirius system on my coach. I appreciate all who took the time to reply. With your help I was sure I could find it but I have looked as thoroughly as I could and can not come up with it anywhere under the dash or behind the passenger side front panel. I have one of the last Alpine Coaches built and I wonder if they short changed the assembly and didn't route the cable correctly. We sure had a ton of electrical mis-wiring found after the purchase which thankfully Guarantee RV in Junction City corrected at no charge so maybe the cable didn't get installed even though the antenna is there.
Again thanks for all your input. I've found IRV2 and especially the Alpine owners forum to be invaluable.
Hope to see you at the Alpine rally in Leavenworth, WA in May.
Dave Weber
Old 03-22-2012, 11:28 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Please see my post about this subject, just search Satellite Radio. My antenna lead was tywrapped up around the wires for the heater controls, it's a single wire, and as one of the last coaches, it might not be there. Keep looking, it's not a big coax wire, just a little single lead small wire around 18 guage or so. Has a funny end which matches up to the sat radio.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:40 PM   #11

Old Rver,
Thanks for that bit of info. I will look again in the mishmash of wiring under the dash. Your description of the wire is helpful as I was looking for something that looked more like a coax. Is the wire black? I'm assuming that the wire must come down one of the windshield pillars so my next step is to take off the cover of the passenger side first (several who responded found the antenna wire behind the passenger side kick panel) and see if I can find it and trace it down. I'll let you know if I'm successful.
Thanks for your help.
Dave
Old 03-24-2012, 10:52 PM   #12

It was not easy to find mine either. I couldn't see it, but it was up on top of heater duct and reached up to the right of the throttle pedal. It is just a small black single wire. On mine, it came down the middle of the windshield. My wire was about 6-8 feet long coiled up small.
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:21 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
As Kraig says, it is a small black wire, most likely just tywrapped up on something. They would not have installed the antenna on the roof and not run the wire down into the coach I don't think. It might be way in behind something. It's the size of one lead of an audio/video cable set, but has a funny little clip type end on it. Look at the antenna lead provided and how it clips onto the radio you purchased then you will see what the end looks like. Good Luck.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote