Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-25-2010, 05:12 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Six 300 AH AGM 6v Batteries in SE

I know this is a little late for Jim, who asked about this before, but just got around to it. When I ordered this coach, I had WRV install 2 extra batteries, for a total of 8, or a total of 880 AH. I did this because, I have the residential fridg and like to be able to dry camp without running the gen too much. I had liked the std golf cart batts w/Hydrocaps, but with the new inverter charger, I was over-charging them and the Hydrocaps couldn't keep up. This is the original setup.

I think that on the SE's with the swinging compartment door, WRV raised the battery tray to clear the bottom hinge.

Due to having the higher tray, I had to move some stuff to clear the taller batteries. Big Boy solenoid moved up and battery switches before being moved.

I used an hand angle grinder to cut the opening for the switches higher and made a small metal plate to cover the lower old opening.

This is the compartment ready for the new batteries. 1/2 inch rubber cushion on floor. Foam insulation by sides and back. New longer bolts for tie downs move forward, about 2 inches. Steel angle bracket bolted to floor at rear to hold batteries in new location.

I got some 1 1/4 inch and some 3/4 inch strap to make up new tie down straps. I glued some rubber on the top of the straps to insure no shorts.

This is a photo of new batteries with new tie down straps, I used angle iron for the front strap. I also cut the old straps and made some fore to aft braces. I wanted to make sure that the batteries would never "get loose." Any movement in an accident could cause a short, which would be VERY BAD with all of the power there.

This should be easier in the non-SE coaches that have the bigger battery tray. Below is photo of clearance in Limited coach.

Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2010, 09:17 PM   #2

Muy Bonita. And very clean also. Now if you seal the hole over the jack (leaving room for some wiggle), the open strip at the top-back of the jack box, & the cable holes at the top-right-frame and top-rear-bulkhead, the battery box oughta stay clean as well.
Nice clean job moving the battery switches and Wabco module.

How did you saw the opening for the battery switches? Sawzall w/metal blade? Abrasive wheel? Jigsaw w/metal saw blade? Dremel? Homemade robotics-guided laser? Plasma cutter? Big wad of sweaty money?

Old 06-26-2010, 07:48 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Mike,

Hand held angel grinder with abrasive wheel. It took some grinding, the metal is quite thick. I have on my to-do list to seal the compartment up some, as I have done with others. I may not seal it completely, I think I saw somewhere that they shouldn't be in a totally sealed area. I also plan to use my dremel with a cutter wheel and cut back the one long ground stud, it is actually over the top of one of the batteries.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:53 AM   #4

Dale you do nice work!!!
Old 06-26-2010, 02:29 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Where can I make an appointment?
Old 06-30-2010, 04:36 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Dale really neat looking job. But what was the reason to go with 6 of the taller 300 batteries instead of 8 of the 220s. It seems a lot more work for only a little more capacity. The price seems to be the same for 6 x 300 verses 8 x 220. I was planning on using the 300 simply to reduce the number batteries that could go bad. But 220 seemed easier to do.

Also what was the reason for the foam, padding or insulation? Is heat a problem?

Tom
Old 07-03-2010, 06:48 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Thank you all for the complements.

takepride,

I have enough trouble getting an appoint for my self, I don't think anyone else has much of a chance.

Tom,

That is a very good question! Would you believe that I just wanted some room in front of the batteries to carry my extra coolant and oil? Well the correct answer is, like in most cases, money. I got a deal on the larger ones.

The foam and mat is for insulation, but not for heat, for cold.