Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:10 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Slide Adjustment????

I have a single slide and one side is sticking. Is there a way to adjust the slide up? It looks to me that there is a pad covered in carpet that slides on the floor.
Thanks

mattinmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2009, 10:16 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Mattinmt,

I don't know about your year, but you might check this first. On this coach, I had some bad sticking issues on my main slide. I had already cleaned the side seals, cleaned the bottom of the slide and sprayed it and its seal with silicone lube, to no avail. In a confrence call with 3 WRV service personal, I was informed that problem was probably the top seal sticking. I cleaned the top of the slide, its seal and then, as told to do, I lubed the seal with powder. This cured the problem and when it got bad again, about a month ago, the lube worked again.

Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:19 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Dale,

When you say "I lubed the seal with powder", what kind of powder are you talking about? Baby powder? Do you use both the silicone lube and the powder?

Thanks! Are you still in Oxnard, or back home now?
gjstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:32 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Gail,

Still in Oxnard, we can't seem to get the timing right, keep missing good weather at home. I used baby powder, couldn't find any plain powder. I only used silicone lube on bottom of slide. I try not to lube the slide side seals, as this keeps them from flipping when extending the slides.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:39 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Matt,

When you say the slide is sticking, do you mean that it is sticking in the frame of the MH? It hangs up a bit (top, bottom) and them releases as the slide moves farther out?
Old 10-22-2009, 11:25 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
It seems to me that the pad under the counter slides on the top of the floor. Then when it gets close to out it pops out with a snap rather then smooth glide. I am in the process of putting in a new floor so I will dig into further. I was hoping to put bamboo in but I fear it is to thick. Thought if I could adjust the slide it would work.

Matt
mattinmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:40 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Matt,

Assuming that the main living room slides have always been built the same way, here is what I know from adjusting mine on my '02 and this one.
There is an adjustment bolt with a lock nut at the end of each ram on the slide. There is a hex hole in the bottom of the bolt for an allen wrench. After loosening the nut you can use an allen wrench to adjust the outer side of the slide up and down. Due to the fact that you are only adjusting the outer wall of the slide, as you move it up, the inner portion of the slide will be lowered as it comes in. To make the kitchen counter raise, lower the slide at the adjuster. Be cautious not to go so low as to have it hit the coach as in comes in. This shouldn't be too big a problem, as the slide rides on the bottom of the coach opening.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:17 PM   #8

I as an 02 have the top of my living room slide stick as I bring it in. I have since just waited after moving in 2-3 inches seems to let loose, then it will come in ok.. It sounds like from the noise that it is sticking to something....baby powder sounds like the fix. Hope this helps. I will try that also.
areed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:41 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Matt, I'm not sure if our slides work the same, my coach is a 2002 fdds. My front slide is the galley and living room couch driver side. At the bottom out side edge is a channel, you can see it just behind the driver seat with the slide retracted. that channel holds a strip of UHMW plastic or something similar. This supports the slide continuously, as it slide in and out the rams support and pull or push from the outer edge. Also at three points front, rear and center of the slide just in side the channel are three pads of ~1/2 plywood and a ~5/8 layer of this plastic approximately 3"X4" ( the one under the kitchen sink may be 3x6) attached to the floor that support the under side of the slide. I can get a look at these blocks when I first start to retract the slide about 3-4" before the top starts to tip in. It may be that your block on that end that is sticking has been replaced by carpet. Or at least you could replace the carpet pad with these plastic pads. The pads and the piece in the channel on mine are black, however you can purchase UHMW plastic on line or cut up a plastic kitchen chopping block (tell your wife I said its OK . This plastic is easily shaped with wood working tools. This white plastic is used in other high friction places on my coach, such as where the rams that Dale spoke of slides is to the housing. I would post pictures but I haven't learned that trick and they turned out a poor quality.

2002 Alpine Coach 34 FDDS
Wally & Debbie is offline   Reply With Quote