Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:28 AM   #1

Slide leaking

I have a 2005 34' Alpine. The living room slide is leaking at the top. What can be done to correct the problem?

Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2009, 09:14 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Ted,

We had problems w/slide leaks (living room and bedroom headboard slide) for the first 2-3 years we had our coach until WRV replaced our slide toppers. Since then we haven't had any leak problems.

Brandywine
Jim & Ingrid McIntosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:26 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted III View Post
I have a 2005 34' Alpine. The living room slide is leaking at the top. What can be done to correct the problem?
Move to Yuma.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:56 PM   #4

There is a pretty long thread on the site about fixing slide leaks--kitchen corner, ends of the slide and the 20 or so screws that mount the inside/outside angle braces to the slide membrane are key contributers to leaks--lots of caulk and lots of patiences.....
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 10:37 AM   #5

Ted III,

If you remove the long piece of crown molding on top of the kitchen slide you will be able to see if the seal depressor is contacting the seal on the upper extrusion when the slide is open. It also allows you to see if water is leaking in from the black channel on the top of the side wall (rusted and broken screws). If you look at the previous threads, I posted a crude drawing of leak paths I found on mine.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 11:23 AM   #6

Wayne R,

Thanks for your response on the water leaks on the slide. I have removed the crown molding and put flashlights on the slide outside while it is extended. I can see exactly where the rubber is not touching. That is the problem. How do I correct it? Can the rubber molding be adjusted in any way. I did not look at it very carefully. I have yet to check the topper channel. Plan to do that tomorrow. Thanks for your help. It is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:26 AM   #7

Oregon Coyote, It is nice to hear from you. The suggestion you have made is exactly what I would expect from you. If you sell that property now you could get a tremendous buy on almost any motor home. I think a Marathon/Prevost would be perfect.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:57 PM   #8

Ted III,
If you have the metal slide topper that pulls flat when the slide is open, it can be part of the problem. Mine allowed water to run down the side wall and get in through the charnel on top of the slide opening (It should have been sealed but mine was not) I had broken and rusted screws in the area of my worst leak. I had all my toppers replaced with the type that roll up into an enclosure.

At my insistence WRV added a wider wiper seal on top of the existing wiper seal for the last 8 feet of the slide. This solved the problem of the ( angle on top of the slide not touching the rubber seal. Not the proper fix but it worked.

I had always planned on figuring out a way to extend the height of the angle on top the slide in the area it is not contacting the primary seal. I have not done that because the added wiper seal and slide topper replacement have prevented any further leaks. I have been through some hellacious storms with wind blowing from the rear of the coach and no leaks not a drop (wind and hard rain from the rear use to be a recipe for interior leaks.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 05:15 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Ted,

The slide has 2 adjustments to raise and lower the slide out at the outer wall. You do need to be careful how you adjust these as the height affects many aspects of the slide operation.

When ever it rains any amount, I always lower one end of the coach, to eliminate the puddling on the topper. When a puddle forms on the topper, it causes the ends of the topper to angle down toward the center of the topper instead of being flat. This causes the water spilling off of the topper to roll over the edge of the topper and run down the underside of the topper and drip off on the top of the slide. When I have the coach angled down at one end in the rain, the water drains off of the lower end of the topper and falls away from the slide. This works on the toppers with out the metal section. (late and early coaches.)
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 12:20 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Dale,

Very interesting re: lowering one end of the coach to prevent puddling. About how much do you lower one end?

Jim & Ingrid

Brandywine
Jim & Ingrid McIntosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 07:25 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Jim,

I seldom remember to adjust the coach for rain until after it has rained long enough to start the puddle. I then lower one end until the "low end" light comes on at the HWH panel and then continue to lower (just a small amount more) until the water drains off of the topper in the proper fashion. (not running down the underside of the topper.)

After having the OS toppers on the 2002 coach, when I saw the new style (2006-2007) with the solid covers, I had hoped that the puddling would no longer be an issue. While at DRR the year before we bought this coach, I watched the water drain over and down the underside of the topper onto the top of the slide out on a coach with the NS toppers. I then realized that I would just have to continue my rain adjustments on the new coach.
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 05:57 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
I am trying to fix the water on slide problem. Has anyone replaced the wiper seal along the top of the slide? Also does anyone know of source for a replacement seal?

John Neff is offline   Reply With Quote