Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2010, 01:24 PM   #1

Slide Lifting Cylinder

My Lifting Cylinder on the dinette slide is leaking and needs to be replaced. The repair shop and HWH are scratching their heads on how to get the old one out and install a new one. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Joe Brunold
2006 Alpine Apex
(4) slides
Joe Brunold is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2010, 01:30 PM   #2

Joe Brunold,

If you are an Alpine Coach Association (ACA) member, then you can call or email Mark Harrah (a former technician at WRV) who is paid by ACA to answer technical questions about the Alpine Coach.

Mark Harrah
racer_s10ss@yahoo.com
509-901-2015

Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:33 PM   #3

Alpine Coach

I already did. Thanks.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:00 PM   #4

Joe are you talking about the front lift cylinder? I always wondered how the H to get at it. I just took a good look at mine and it appears you need to remove the right front wheel. After the wheel is of you will see a 1ft *3ft panel bolted to the top and back of the wheel well. After the pan is removed I believe you can get to the lift cylinder. The back one is a piece of cake from the cargo bay. Just remove the gray carpeted box. That is how I would get to the front cylinder on my 05 Quad slide. Hope this helps. Nice job WRV.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 07:09 PM   #5

Thanks Wayne. I will pass this on tomorrow to the repair facility. Hope your right. As of late this afternoon, the repairman stated we would have to cut a hole in the floor and/or remove all the paneling. Not something I want him to do. I'll keep you posted.

Joe
Old 02-12-2010, 09:05 AM   #6

My original problem is fixed. The the dinette lift cylinder was defective and needed to be replaced. HWH provided the replacement cylinder at no cost. THE PROBLEM: The way the cylinder was installed did not allow for any way for it to be replaced. Therefore, the repair shop had to cut a hole in the flooring in order to do the removal and replacement. It should also be noted that that cylinder is located directly above the pump and the leaking fluid settled in (2) holding type containers under the pump. Removal of all the fluid was a very time consuming problem.

Thanks for your inputs. Hope you never need to do the same; however, if you do-this may help. Ricks' RV in El Cajon did the toubleshooting and repairs. Great job.

Joe Brunold
2006 Alpine Apex
Old 02-12-2010, 11:54 AM   #7

Joe- any photos to share of he experience? Picture is worth a thousand words.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:54 PM   #8

Unfortunately I do not have a photo. The space where the lift cylinder is is very small and I am not sure a worthwhile picture could be taken-anyway by me.

Joe
Old 02-14-2010, 05:28 PM   #9

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort https://www.twospringsrv.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne R View Post
Joe are you talking about the front lift cylinder? I always wondered how the H to get at it. I just took a good look at mine and it appears you need to remove the right front wheel. After the wheel is ofyou will see a 1ft *3ft panel bolted to the top and back of the wheel well. After the pan is removed I believe you can get to the lift cylinder. The back one is a piece of cake from the cargo bay. Just remove the gray carpeted box. That is how I would get to the front cylinder on my 05 Quad slide. Hope this helps. Nice job WRV.
I live in fear of any problems with my dinette slide.
1) There are no holes cut in the floor where one would insert bolts to manually lift the slide. I first ran into this when I was stuck in beautiful El Paso with a hydraulic pump failure and no way to get the slides in to move to a qualified repair facility. Thank God for a good tech from Las Cruces.

2) There is no 1 X 3 panel in my front wheel well that provides access to the front lift cylinder nor is there a gray carpeted box in the cargo bay. I guess the design changed between 05 & 06 or the guy who used to do this was laid off.

Observations from other 40' FDQS owners?
Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 05:52 PM   #10

Hmm, I will take pictures tomorrow of my rear access and what I think is the front access. I know the rear can be removed from below because I took it a part and reversed the bracket to gain storage area overhead in the cargo bay.

Basil, did you get the (2) 3 foot Long bolts to manually raise the dinette slide? I had to ask for mine.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:42 PM   #11

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort https://www.twospringsrv.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne R View Post
Basil, did you get the (2) 3 foot Long bolts to manually raise the dinette slide? I had to ask for mine.
The 3' long threaded rods are used to pull in the slide once you have raised it using bolts inserted thru non-existent holes.
Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 07:52 PM   #12

I don't know what to say, before I had a computer desk put in there was a 2 inch round white cover over the hole to install the bolt in to lift the slide on the front end. The rear still has an access hole. Not sure how well this would work . I never have tried to use the bolts. I believe there was a change in the design of this mechanism early on. When Louis Birch and I toured HWH we spent quite a bit of time talking to the engineer in the R&D shop and I vaguely remember some mention of a design change early on. At the time I thought, great I have 1 of only 10 that used the original design.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:09 AM   #13

There is no 1 x 3 panel in my wheel well either. That is why we had to cut a hole thru the flooring.

Joe
Old 02-15-2010, 11:10 AM   #14

The first picture is of the panel in the WW I think is the front access to the lift cylinder. The 2nd picture is of what I know is the access cover to the rear lift cylinder. Model year 2005.